March 17th, 2012

Obama raises a pint

Washington (CNN) – It wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without a pint of Guinness, even for the commander-in-chief.

President Barack Obama’s motorcade made the mile-and-a-half trip to the The Dubliner, a well-known Capitol Hill pub, at around 12:30 p.m. Saturday – early by normal standards, but just on time for most St. Patrick’s Day partiers.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The president enjoyed a Guinness, a classic (if slightly uninspired) choice for the holiday, and spent time shaking hands with other pub-goers, many of whom were wearing green top hats and wigs. At one point he raised his pint to toast the crowd.

The president sported a moss-colored fleece jacket over an open-collared white shirt, enough to avoid pinches from enthusiastic revelers.

Obama’s Irish roots have been well explored in the three years he’s been in office. In May 2011 he visited Moneygall, in central Ireland, to visit the town his great-great-great grandfather emigrated from in the nineteenth century.

The Irish Taoiseach (prime minister), Enda Kenny, will visit Obama in Washington on Tuesday, and attend a belated St. Patrick’s Day lunch at the U.S. Capitol. In the evening the president and first lady Michelle Obama will host St. Patrick’s Day reception at the White House.

Aside from the Guinness run, Obama and his family marked the Irish holiday by dying the water in the South Lawn fountain green.

Obama’s reelection campaign also got into the holiday mood Saturday, offering a special price on green t-shirts proclaiming: ‘I (shamrock) O’Bama.”

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Irish Seanachie from Maine

Our President hoisting a pint of the black stuff on St. Patrick's Day, and who can find fault with this???? People who are afraid of what? Jakkers folks it is a simple celebration of being Irish and our President has some of this Irish blood in him. Fault him for this?? Why don't you spend the rest of the time you have on this earth and try to find a life!

March 18, 2012 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  2. FIELD1stSGT

Joshua Ludd
    Yeah, but they were like us good Baptist. At least we hide in the closet to turn up a pint.

March 18, 2012 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  3. me138

that would be a total buzz kill if the president showed up at my pub.

March 18, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  4. Disgusted

Obama is the first president that has ever made an effort to show that he cares about the average American. We Have Republicans that are making outragious promises to the American publican in hopes of becoming our next president, We need more men like Obama in Washington and the GOP members need to head back to the fairy tale world where they invented the stories that they are trying to fill American heads with. OBAMA 2012!!!!!!

March 18, 2012 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  5. parnell in canada

Goodness, the man can't even stop for a pint on St. Patrick's without being criticized. Give your silly heads a shake!

March 18, 2012 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  6. a little sad

@bill

"For the first time in my life, I am embarrassed to be Irish."

Well, I'm relieved that you are not American.

We don't need another unpatriotic git who wants to undermine the presidency since he only believes in democracy when his side wins.

March 18, 2012 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  7. RealityCheck

Always working hard for America as usual. When the budget is balanced and our borders are safe, THEN you can go have a drink. How's that for a plan?

"Oh, he's working so hard!" "How can you say that?" "You're just racist..." SPARE ME.

March 18, 2012 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  8. BJRTexas

I certainly have no problem with the President raising a pint with his supposedly long-lost cousin for a cutesy little St. Patrick's Day plug. However, I do not understand how the event constiutes "news."

March 18, 2012 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  9. DENNA

It's good to see President Obama relax a bit. His has been a hard three years trying to fix the mess that the reckess GOP left in its wake. A mess that they STILL refuse to take any responsibilty for. Oh, but the way Rick, Mitt, et al, you do realize that women vote too. Apparently you have forgotten that we don't like to be treated like children.

March 19, 2012 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  10. Steve

He should've went next door to 'Times.

March 19, 2012 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  11. George McGlone

I could use a Guiness right now!, ...Laughs! Go President Obama!!!!!!!!!!!

March 19, 2012 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  12. jack leddy

To President Obama from this Irish-American : thank you for working so hard at your job and for doing such an excellent job ! "May the road rise to meet you, may the wind always be at your back , may the sun shine on your face and may the good lord hold you in the palm of his hand" I think that is close to the blessing my immigrant Irish grandmother use to quote.

March 19, 2012 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  13. hickenlooper

I raise my glass to you Mr. President. You are a man for all the people. God bless.

March 19, 2012 03:02 am at 3:02 am |
  14. J.V.Hodgson

Four and the door, if you have ever studied economics I am amazed, as most of what you say clearly has the Republican political version of realistic economics.
    Essentially that is tax reductions fixes most issues ( they did not for 8 years under Bush. Lowest job growth for several decades) = trickle down economics.This trickle down left the middle class worse off than they were 10 years ago!
    De-regulation.... hello!? Thats what created the banking crisis before Obama got into power, The legisalation to bail them out was Republican drafted, before Obama came to power. Car industry GM No 1 again!!
    Smaller government!? Well again the size of government was not created by Obama it was that established under 8 years of Bush who added Homeland security with a huge budget. and exploded defense spending to cronies and two huge wars.
    At least now Obama's economic policy is adding jobs .Like it or not employment changes are a lagging indicator hope you understand that economic term and reality. QED the explosion of unemployment was a Bush issue for the whole 9%-10% economically speaking.
    Fixing the economy means unwinding " one term president thinking" and Passing AJA as originally drafted. The CBO said + 1.6m jobs, higher GDP, debt neutral; but cant have that!? It means Obama would get re-elected.
    Our country needs a huge dose of civility, and the ability to compromise fairly both sides. Your dogmatic posts are part of the problem along with the Grover Norquist pledge. I dont want my elected official ( Democrat or Republican) pledging himself to some PAC leader!! I want him to vote the interests of the country as a whole. ALL OF THE TIME!!
    PS I am an independent.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

March 19, 2012 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  15. Guess What

wow, you call this news when millions of Americans cannot make their house payments or put food on their tables, this is treasonous to the American people, wow big deal obama in another photo op, YUK!

March 19, 2012 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  16. SPW

What the hell is wrong with people? He can go to a pub, just because he is the President doesn't mean he's suddenly devoid of life. Your extreme criticism for this President is hilarious, other Presidents had no problems doing these things, in fact it was usually encouraged by the public.

March 19, 2012 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama (the real one)

We're ALL Irish on St. Patty's Day!
    O'Bama 2012

March 19, 2012 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  18. Get a job Hippies

I for one conservative am happy he is out drinking. When he is out getting boozed up at least he can't sign any laws that screw up the country. Keep pounding back there obama.

March 19, 2012 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  19. Dominican mama 4 Obama (the real one)

@bill

"For the first time in my life, I am embarrassed to be Irish."
    -------------------------------------------------
    Bill people like you who make comments like this make my heart weep....and my fists ball up tight.
    It is my fervent wish that you're NOT an American.
    O'Bama 2012.

March 19, 2012 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  20. Rojas

Goes to pub -> Accused of incompetence, drinking on job, laze, etc.
    Doesn't go to pub -> Accused of hating America's cultural traditions, elitism, etc.

March 19, 2012 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  21. Dominican mama 4 Obama (the real one)

They LOOOOVED having him there sharing a pint on St Paddy's day. Didja hear the crowd? In vino veritas!
    Looks like another four more years for our Black Irish President!

March 19, 2012 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama (the real one)

@ Rojas: Exactamente!

March 19, 2012 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  23. Asknreceive1

AWESOME! What I wouldn't give to meet President Obama face to face. He has shown himself to not only be a great leader, but also an honorable man, a family man and a man who is in touch with us, the common folk. I respect him immensely and am proud to call him My President Of The United States. All the best in your campaign for re-election in 2012, President Obama.

March 19, 2012 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  24. Taran

While I don't agree with the policies Obama has enacted and supported. I don't see the problem with him having celebrating St. Patty's day with a pint of Guiness. I like Guiness myself.

March 19, 2012 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  25. Fair is Fair

Conservatives need to FOCUS on the issues instead of this totally irrelevant garbage.

March 19, 2012 09:30 am at 9:30 am |