March 18th, 2012

Massachusetts politicians crack wise at St. Patrick's Day breakfast

(CNN) – It's an annual St. Patrick's Day tradition in heavily Irish Massachusetts: Boston politicians dressed in green, roasting each other red over breakfast.

Besides a healthy dose of Bay State jesting, the participants on Sunday took particular aim at this year's presidential contest and especially the Republican contenders.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I see that both Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum now have Secret Service with them on the campaign trail," joked Republican Sen. Scott Brown. "And in Santorum's case, I think it's the first time he's actually ever used protection."

Sounding like a vaudeville veteran, Brown continued: "Listen, you all know that Newt Gingrich wants to build a colony on the moon. Forget the moon. I think he should build it on whatever planet Ron Paul is from."

Democratic Rep. Stephen Lynch also returned home to dish wisecracks on the White House hopefuls.

"And last week, I heard that Newt Gingrich was lashing out during a debate, telling everyone, 'Hey, lay off my wife,' " Lynch larked. "So Mitt Romney raised his hand and said, 'Hey, I'll lay her off. I love firing people. But which one?' "

Both Brown and his likely Democratic challenger in November, Elizabeth Warren, took aim at Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who once made an unsuccessful Senate run.

Brown, whose everyman campaign in 2010 was underscored by his barn jacket and well-traveled pickup truck, recalled that Romney said his wife owns two Cadillacs.

"As you know the truck has almost 230,000 miles on it - I almost didn't make it here," Brown said. "But Gov. Romney was nice enough to give me one of his Cadillacs, so we're all set."

Warren, a professor at Harvard University, was President Barack Obama's pick to head the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, though Republican opposition caused her to step away.

"I actually heard that Scott Brown's barn jacket cost $600 dollars," Warren quipped of the coat. "Wow, here's a guy who could use a consumer advocate!"

Filed under: 2012 • Elizabeth Warren • Massachusetts • Scott Brown
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Brown could always get a job as funny man with Fox foreign owned media with a hint of Saudi.

March 18, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  2. David Reston, VA

March 18, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. marty

How I wish we had a dozen Elizabeth Warren's in the Senate.

March 18, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  4. Thomas

Why wouldn't Brown ask why Mitts five sons avoided military service,
    “I am proud of my 32 years of service in the Army National Guard," Brown said in a statement.

March 18, 2012 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  5. george of the jungle

Warren is great .

March 18, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  6. Jerry

Are these comments supposed to be funny?! I opine that ALL these politicians, especially Ms. Warren, need "joke writers."

March 18, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. diridi

Mass just get rid of this idiot, scott brown. Go and vote for Elizebeth. True.

March 18, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. Valentina

@ diridi – too bad, I live in Massachusetts, and it is becoming more and more obvious that Scott Brown will be re-elected in November. Voters in Massachusetts trust Scott more to produce positive results for the country who is known for working in a bipartisan way in Washington than Warren, a hard core partisan liberal.

March 18, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. ThinkAgain

@David Reston, VA: "Warren has shown she is one of the people by partying it up with the Hollywood elite."

What, people from Hollywood aren't allowed to support candidates and contribute to their campaigns?

BTW, are you out there demanding all these GOP Super PACs reveal their donors? You do realize, don't you, that unlimited amounts of unaccountable funds – many from foreign corporations and foreign nationals, who may not have our country's best interest at heart – are funneling mountains of cash into the GOP Super PACs' coffers, spreading their dough all over the country, in the hopes of putting in a bunch of GOP puppets to do their bidding?

I'd rather have some homegrown American Hollywood types contributing out in the open than all the shadowy GOP foreign money any day.

Go, Elizabeth Warren!

March 18, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  10. Walt

@ V alentina: Chill out!

March 18, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  11. normajean @ verizon ,com

Guess, that's my answer GENTLEMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !

March 18, 2012 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  12. normajean @ verizon ,com

You might want to rethink that move and prove my initial comment wrong????? Guess not.....we women have your number!!!!!

March 18, 2012 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |