Electability issue number one for some Illinois GOP primary voters
March 20th, 2012

Electability issue number one for some Illinois GOP primary voters

Wheaton, Illinois (CNN) - Defeating President Obama in November - that's what is on the minds of many people voting Tuesday in the GOP presidential primary at this suburban Chicago polling station.

"Getting Obama out of the White House and getting some people in there that care," Eric Wilson told CNN.

– Follow Paul Steinhauser on Twitter: @PsteinhauserCNN

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Bill Smith agreed, saying that what was most important to his vote was "replacing the current occupant, even though he's from Illinois as well."

"I don't want to waste my vote now. I want to make sure we have a change of government come November, said Jennifer Ciombor.

Dave Sutton also wants to replace the president in the general election, and he says he has a more immediate reason.

"Since Mr. Obama went into the White House, I went out of the employment area. Now I'm driving a school bus until I can find another job. I feel Mr. Obama has only put us further in debt. I feel we need someone in there who can hopefully turn this around and get us back on a strong economy."

Wheaton is in DuPage County, just to the west of Chicago, and home to many Republicans. For many voters here, the economy of course, as well as taxes, and health care, are the issues on their minds as they cast ballots.

"My main thing is taxes. I'm in a tax bracket where I'm taxed to death, so that's basically what I was looking at," added Ciombor.

"The main thing was get rid of the health care bill that they passed. It's going to cost us more down the road. It's a joke. We don't need a Democratic in the White House," said Wilson

Also see:

Romney can't escape birth control questions in Illinois

Obama leads GOP in battleground Virginia

Rubio to headline major South Carolina GOP fundraiser

Filed under: 2012 • Illinois
  1. Enough is Enough

Unless your a trial lawyer, union member, illegal or on public assistance Obama has failed you.

March 20, 2012 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  2. GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

All of the President's critics sound like they've overdosed on Hannitty & O'Reilly. They're casting their votes based on unfactual lies that's reported on Fixed News. If electability is their concern for their candidate, they're hopeless. None of them cut the mustard.

March 20, 2012 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  3. Wire Palladin, S. F.

If you are poor, a member of the middle class, a veteran, a senior, an American worker, uninsured, on social security, an auto worker, a college student, a teacher, a fireman, a police man, a nurse, a hispanic, a black, or a woman, the republican party has failed you.

March 20, 2012 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

====================================================================================
    It doesn't look like the Obama snake oil is working on the American people.

March 20, 2012 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. Marie MD

Electability issues? Then nobody isngoing tom vote in Illinois?
    This is the worst crop of candidate to be ever assembled by any country and we have a lot of dictators and despotsmto choose from, like mussolini, hitler, castro, chavez, admadinejad and even genghis khan
    The reason for that list is that those individuals (there are plenty others) want to control and rule over people not work sith others for a better life and country. except sanatorium who, according to his wife, doesn't mean what he says about women. Go figure!

March 20, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Bill

IF these people are looking for someone electable, then they are in the wrong party. The current crop of GOP "candidates" simply does not pass the laugh test.

March 20, 2012 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  7. Barry G

This would put it in perspective regarding day light savings time:

For the Democrats set your clocks ahead one hour!

For the Republicans set your clocks back 200 years!!

March 20, 2012 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

--------–

March 20, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. Malory Archer

Electability issue number one for some Illinois GOP primary voters:

Yeah, good luck with that considering the crop of clowns in that car!

March 20, 2012 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  10. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Rudy NYC - The state of Illinois raised your taxes. Pres. Obama has cut your personal income taxes.
    Unless he's one of those evil greedyt 1%ers that goes to work to figure out how to steal money from all the poor people (not exactly where the money is!) so he can buy another new Mercedes. In THAT case, Obama wants ALL his money.

Didn't he just sign a presidential order that allows him to just confiscate it?

March 20, 2012 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. Voice of Reason

If electability is the real driver for these people, then why show up at all? The GOP hasnt produced anyone that can beat Obama yet. Rick cant – poll after poll shows that. Mitt cant – because every day more and more people discover that he's just a slick guy who's willing to say anything to get elected... The cliche 'empty suit'.

So if 'electability' matters to the GOP, then the first step is finding someone who is electable.

March 20, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. cali girl

To the guy that says he is taxed to death, my family was taxed much higher when Bush had his 8 years. Don't be fooled by the GOP, you will find your taxes back to those Bush levels while the fat cats count their cash all day.

March 20, 2012 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  13. Pam from Iowa

That is so pathetic that the GOP can only think of getting the 'black man' out of the White House instead of who is the best to lead our country!
    Sorry folks! Many of us will be voting to keep Obama in the White House!
    But wait a minute.....this is Illinois......shouldn't you GOP be voting based on which one is the most corrupt of the Republican candidates??????

March 20, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  14. mannycl

The whole point is to get Obama out of the White House. This man is driving this country down the cliff.

March 20, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  15. Regularjohn

I just voted in Illinois, I voted for the most consistent and principled candidate on the ballot. "Electability" was the number one issue? Not the economy? The Republican Party has become such a joke.

March 20, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  16. ST

This term "electability" when I hear it makes me laugh. How can a person be electable if people are not showing up in big numbers to support that term. Is electability in their thoughts only and not in actions????

March 20, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  17. FRED

If electability is all that matters to these people, should tell a lot, don't matter who is running or what they stand for as long as he is WHITE, I'm sorry but that's what I hear when these folks talk about only electability matters to them. I've said this many time before and will say it again, some WHITE people cannot fathom the thought of becoming the minority in this country which is happening right before their very eyes, so they need to have a white person in the white house so they will feel that they are somewhat in control.

March 20, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. The Real Tom Paine

In terms of experience and philosophy, this is the weakest presidential field I can recall in my lifetime. At least the last time out, there was a nice balance of experience, ideas, etc: now those things are held in contempt.

March 20, 2012 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  19. Malory Archer

We need someone in the White House who will make sure that only Democrats get elected to office. I don't care how they do it, but we need to get rid of the Fascists Plutocrats we have in the house & senate now and replace them with people who understand liberty and freedom.

March 20, 2012 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. Romney Snake Oil fer Sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I'm gettin some steam up in this here state: can't believe anyone is stupid enough to buy this, but hey, I"m rich and you oughta do what I say! Once I have this thing locked up I work on gettin rid of the black guy next! Don't know what I'll do when I get there, but it'll look good on the ole' resume!!!! Am I zany enough?

March 20, 2012 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. GI Joe.

They keep talking about GOP turnout - DUH. It's a GOP primary. Who's supposed to turn out? Martians?

March 20, 2012 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Truth wrote:

----------–
    Your "he" is actually a "she." Please read the articles so that you can keep up and at least sound like your avatar's name.

March 20, 2012 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  23. The Real Tom Paine

GI Joe: " They keep talking about GOP turnout – DUH. It's a GOP primary. Who's supposed to turn out? Martians?"
    *****************************************************

Don't be nasty, they're Gingrich supporters. Seriously, the turnout will be down.

March 20, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

from the article:

"Since Mr. Obama went into the White House, I went out of the employment area. Now I'm driving a school bus until I can find another job."

""The main thing was get rid of the health care bill that they passed."
    -------
    They are focused mainly on taxes. Jobs, are not a major concern. Foreclosures, not a major concern. High prices, not a major concern. Being able to pay for health care, not a major concern. Taxes, that is the major concern.

Why are they so focused mainly on taxes and the ACA? Becasue Wheaton is a rather exclusive, upper middle class to elite suburb. Home to many 1%'ers. These are the people that make up most of Mitt Romney's base.

March 20, 2012 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. Malory Archer

The Real Tom Paine

*****************************************************

***************************************************************************************************************************************

If they're gingrich supporters they must be moon men!

March 20, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |