House GOP budget would overhaul Medicaid
March 20th, 2012

House GOP budget would overhaul Medicaid

(CNNMoney) - House Republicans want to overhaul the nation's safety net by turning Medicaid and food stamps into block grants and making recipients work for certain benefits.

This would reduce the financial burden on the federal government, allow the states greater flexibility to adjust the programs and give the poor a more solid ladder to rise to the middle class, they say.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Budget • Medicaid
  1. Bill

Wow. A gift from the GOP in an election year.

March 20, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. jacq

So true Bill

March 20, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. Wire Palladin, S. F.

And the seniors will think that the GOP will help them? What a pile of crap the republicans have become.

March 20, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. BLKMANinAmerica

Once again the repuks bring us more and more BS, please vote these loosers out of office ASAP, they only want to destroy America.

March 20, 2012 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  5. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Bill - Wow. A gift from the GOP in an election year
    ==========================================
    Yeah, heaven forbid we expect people to actually work for the thousands they receive. Cruel and unusual punishment for sure.

March 20, 2012 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  6. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Wire Palladin, S. F. - And the seniors will think that the GOP will help them?
    =============================================================
    How are the Dmeocrats trying to help them? By standing around and watching Medicare and the country go bankrupt? By demagoguing the issue? Haven't heard aq single Democrat, including Our Leader from Behind Obama, offer ANY solutions? They are tootally worthless.

March 20, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  7. John

GOP only cares about the 1%. They and the Wall Street boys destroyed America and now they want to destroy what is left of the Middle Class and poor.

March 20, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  8. Mke

Medicare and Medicaid are going off the cliff Somebody needs to restructure there programs to make them viable... But Obama loves crisis....

March 20, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  9. Myviewis

Not sure I'm on board with this proposed budget, I can't figure out exactly how it would impact senior citizens and needy families and needy individuals because he didn't give us figures or income brackets. I've only read little on it today but I didn't see full details. Not sure I like this.

March 20, 2012 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  10. d

Truth...are you aware of what kind of people are on medicaid? you want ur 80 year old gramma to have to work again? or maybe the mentally or physically handicapped or the ill...just so you know. that we are sticking it to them and nothing is free? pathetic is what the gop is!

March 20, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  11. The Greedy Old Pigs declared class war on US!

The GOBP wants to save the patient by killing it. It all makes sense in their Bizarro World.

March 20, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Medicaid and food stamps are not necessarily for the old. I got behind somebody using food stamps at lunch and she looked perfectly capable of doing some kind of work. Stop trying to hide the slackers behind the old and crippled. Now THAT is pathetic.

March 20, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  13. Jrdz

Nothing like driving the bus off the cliff shame on the GOP what is next are they going to take away the elderlies oxygen tanks and wheel chairs or will they just push them off a cliff.

March 20, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  14. carrotroot

People who are on food stamps are NOT welfare queens! They are the elderly, the disabled, and the working poor. Placing a further requirement on people who are already having a hard time putting food on the table is beyond cruel.

March 20, 2012 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  15. Holla

@Truth you need to take your afternoon med.

March 20, 2012 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Jrdz - or will they just push them off a cliff
    ====================================
    The cliff is an approved treatment under the Obamacare Treatment Board. It has been determeined to be the most cost efficient treatment for the elderly.

March 20, 2012 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  17. Mike

Some of the comments here are absolutely unintelligent and downright stupid. Not everyone who uses food stamps is unemployed. Try being a single parent with a minimum wage job, or a single adult working a minimum wage job who was laid off from a higher paying job. Minimum wage does not pay the bills and allow a person to have a decent quality of life – that is a fact. Most young people do not want to be on food stamps – they want good jobs with benefits and good pay, but sometimes food stamps are necessary while a young person works a minimum wage job. So the next time you're out there and see a young person swiping their EBT card at the register, you need to realize they probably do have some type of minimum wage job where they have to fight and struggle to even hit 30 hours per week. If you don't believe me, why don't you do some research into how much retail jobs at your local Target, Wal-Mart, etc. pay. I also speak from experience. I was laid off from a job paying $35,000.00 per year in 2009. I did not find a comparable job until 2011, and I now make over $40,000.00. However, in those two years in between I was underemployed at Target retail because I could not find a job paying what I was used to making. Target paid me $9 an hour and gave me anywhere from 25-30 hours per week. This barely paid my bills; I blew through savings to pay rent. I was given an EBT card and $200.00 in food money per month. As a single person that's all I qualified for, and that was fine, I made do. But if you think that people with EBT are living all high and mighty with loads of money, you're sadly mistaken. Also, not everyone with an EBT card is given cash with their food balance each month. In the state I live in, you only receive a cash balance (for non-food purchases that EBT won't cover such as toiletries and clothes) if you are a single mom, disabled, or a disabled Vet.

March 20, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  18. carrotroot

@truth you do not know what that person's situation is, don't casually assume a person's work status based on the clothes they wear. For all you know that person may have been looking for a job.

March 20, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  19. Independent Voters

Want these republican get a pay cut and they pay for medicare.

March 20, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |