Poll: Santorum well ahead in Louisiana
March 23rd, 2012

Poll: Santorum well ahead in Louisiana

(CNN) – Rick Santorum holds a substantial lead over the other Republican presidential candidates in Louisiana ahead of the state's Saturday primary, according to a new survey.

The American Research Group poll showed the former Pennsylvania senator received 43% support among likely Republican voters, ahead of rival Mitt Romney's 27%, Newt Gingrich's 20% and Ron Paul's 6%.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Santorum led among self identified supporters of the tea party and those who do not back the grassroots movement. He also received the top spot among men with 42% to Romney's 24%, Gingrich's 21% and Paul's 9%. Among women he received 44% support, followed by Romney's 30%, Gingrich's 19% and Paul's 3%.

Friday's results mirror other polling taken in the Pelican State that shows Santorum's message resonating in the state, in which 20 delegates are at stake.

ARG surveyed 600 likely Republican primary voters between March 20 and March 22 with a sampling error of plus or minus four percentage points.

Filed under: 2012 • Louisiana • Mitt Romney • Polls • Rick Santorum
  1. John

And to think I was considering visiting Louisiana. The food looks great but if the state is filled with right wing Santorum lovers I would probably hate it there. I'll go to NY instead.

March 23, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. REALLY?

Obama would tear Little Ricky up in debates! Mitt however will take the steamroll appoach. Obama will get handled by Mitt just like he handled his 2nd rate opponents in his own party. Book it!

March 23, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Sure. They just KNEW McCain would win four years ago. Now they want Mitt McCain.

March 23, 2012 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. REALLY?

Really? Is La. this far out there? I guess Mitt looks to much like one of them thar city slickers. Pass the jug.

March 23, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  5. Frank from Penn State

Santorum Better Support Romney when he gets the Nomination..... That commit that he made that he would rather have Obama stay will be the end of his candidacy........ BYE BYE Santorum!!

March 23, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. anagram_kid

Ockthunder wrote, “…Think logically my fellow Republicans…” That actually made me laugh out loud. Sad to say, the days of logical Republicans are gone. Instead you have this – Common sense is all that is needed to solve complex problems. Or as I like to put it – If you can swim in the pool at the YMCA, crossing the English Channel should pose no problems. If it makes you feel better you have my sympathies. I wish both parties were populated with intelligent logical people who could have a thoughtful discourse about how to solve problems. Maybe 2016 will be better...

March 23, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. Damian X

Who cares.......Santorum is a disaster and will never get the nom. Even if he does will not get elected. The GOP is completely fragmented.

March 23, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. anagram_kid

Ockthunder wrote, “…Think logically my fellow Republicans…” That actually made me laugh out loud. Sad to say, the days of logical Republicans are gone. Instead you have this – Common sense is all that is needed to solve complex problems. Or as I like to put it – If you can swim in the pool at the YMCA crossing the English Channel should pose no problems. If it makes you feel better you have my sympathies. I wish both parties were populated with intelligent logical people who could have a thoughtful discourse about how to solve problems.

March 23, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  9. Gumbo for Brains

Looks like Ricky is surging from behind again. God bless them thar gumbo eatin, gator wrestlin people down in Louisiana.

March 23, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  10. Buckdog

All you have to do is catch one episode of Buyou Billionaires or My Big Redneck Vacation and it will all make sense. There are some backwards people on Louisiana.

March 23, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. Expat American

No need to wait for CNN’s projection on who is going to win there. Just go out to the parking lot and count how many pickups have gun racks in the rear window.

March 23, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |