Ryan's open to V.P spot
March 25th, 2012

Ryan's open to V.P spot

Washington (CNN) – Republican Rep. Paul Ryan said he would “consider” serving in the No. 2 spot on the GOP presidential ticket in 2012.

But his response was surrounded by the obligatory “it’s not even something in my mind” and “I’m so focused on my job” lines.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

“I would consider it but it’s not even something in my mind because it’s a decision someone else makes at a later time,” Ryan said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “It’s a bridge I haven’t gotten close to having to cross so in the meantime I think it’s important to do my job.”

Ryan has risen to national prominence in his role as chairman of the House Budget Committee, becoming the point person for the Republican Party on debt and spending.

The Wisconsin representative, who closed the door to a potential presidential bid of his own early in the 2012 cycle, also said Romney is "on his way" to capturing his party’s nomination. The two met on Capitol Hill Thursday.

“I don’t know if I’d say he’s got it wrapped up,” Ryan said on “Fox News Sunday.” “He’s clearly on his way. I think he’s becoming the prohibitive frontrunner and I think the sooner we coalesce around a nominee the better off we’ll be. The prize is November, not this summer. I think it’s coming together, but I’ll let the people of this country decide that.”

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Paul Ryan
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Good for him. Mittens does not understand math, and both Ryan and Mittens only know tax cuts for the wealthy paid for by seniors on social security and medicare. After screwing over people in Janesville, Ryan may need to look for a new job.

March 25, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  2. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Ever notice that right wingnuts and teavangelicals make up 20% of our population, but they want to take the country back from the 80%? Maybe the Taliban will welcome their religious beliefs in Afghanistan.

March 25, 2012 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  3. out of step

I wonder what Ryan would do if the Democrats actually put his budget to a vote? He knows it is bogus, his conservative friends know it is a hoax, and he only put it forward knowing Reid would not put it to a vote.. I say put it to a vote and let the people see what a hoax it is.

March 25, 2012 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. Patriot Awesome

Ryan should get the pick for VP since whoever gets the presidential nomination will have to defend Ryan's budget and tax plan during the election.

March 25, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. king

I wonder how many seniors will jump on the Ryan band wagon when they know doing so will jeopardise their best interest. Oh I forgot, all the powerful interest need to do is convince them that somehow pushing money to them at their cost will trickle down back down them. I don't know about that one seniors since the powerful have China and India to cater to, I wonder what percent of the trickle down will they get. Hey the one president in decades that truly give a dam about our self interest never would have gotten a chance to fight for you.

March 25, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

A republican congressman saying he has work to do has to be the joke of the day. Ryan and the elected republicans represent the worst case of welfare abuse.

March 25, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  7. Wes

The only reason his considering it is after how badly the republicans screwed up in Wisconsin they know they won't get reelected so his got this term then his out of a job and his only way of staying in the national spot light is to take the No. 2 spot.

March 25, 2012 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  8. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I think the question on right wingnuts mind, "Is Ryan really white?"

March 25, 2012 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  9. IntlPol101

Paul Ryan's budget is a good start, and it affects every federal program across the board, but the spending cuts just aren't deep enough. We're broke- we must have substantial cuts to pull us out of bankruptcy.

March 25, 2012 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. Marry

One thing we can by now count on: Every day something stupid form the GOP gang to keep us laughing!
    President Obama 2012!

March 25, 2012 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  11. A not-so-stupid former republican

"It's not even something in my mind” translates to I want it so much I cannot think of anything else. This idiot should be sent home following the next election. We need to reduce the number of liars in Washington!

March 25, 2012 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  12. a in austin

Little eddie munster lookalike would like to be vp – how much $$$ you think he was paid by th koch brothers? Another bought and paid for gotper pushing an agenda for the 1%.

March 25, 2012 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  13. Core republican Values

Ryan is the worst kind of disgusting political "pimp." He thinks we should cut taxes for the wealthiest Americans while cutting medicare. Sign him up! He is so creepy, it will make Obama's job even easier.

March 25, 2012 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  14. pikerover

I one wants to see the results of a Ryan budget look at Greece.

March 25, 2012 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  15. Jerry

Hey, out of step (you do recognize you are really out of step and that's a step in the right direction), at least the Republicans have made an attempt at a budget, TWICE, mind you! In 3-1/2 years, what has YOUR clueless/divisive president submitted in the form of a budget?! ¡Nada!

His one and only meek attempt at a budget was soundly rejected by his own Democratic flunkies. I am a life-long Democrat but I happen to think a Romney/Ryan team would be good for our country, These two are not just clueless community organizers; they know their stuff!!!

March 25, 2012 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  16. Debbie

Only hard core Norquist fans would accept Ryan as VP. Romney will need every possible vote in the General. In addition, Romney will need a Southerner now that the Etch a Sketch plan is out. Promises made in the South for votes and then told not really will require a Southern VP to gain them back. And its pretty obvious the running mate will be Jeb Bush. Romney from day one hired GWBush advisors. For about a year now Romney has received informal nods of approval of all Bush (Sr/Jr) significants: Cheney, Rove, Daniels, Sunueau, etc. This places Jeb in the position to run for President in 2016 that his family has been waiting for. It could be Cheney because Romney has said he wants someone just like Cheney for VP but Cheney's popularity in a general would be a major issue.

March 25, 2012 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  17. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

Think of him as a young Dick Cheney.

March 25, 2012 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. george of the jungle

Just what we need! Ol rick just had a win and im looking at a picture of him looking like Howdy Dowdy and now paul open for Vp. Hey this could be a great team. Two puppets talking out of the sides of their mouths . Who will pull the strings? Super pac or the church? We now know at least 100,000. people in Lousianna are certifiable. They voted for the rickster. Obama 2012

March 25, 2012 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  19. Don

Romney tweeked the Ryan plan and turned it into a viable juggernaut that will save our kids senior years making Medicare and Social Security viable again. I don't know if Paul Ryan would be the VP but he has definately helped the nation.

March 25, 2012 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  20. Eardley Ham Woodbury, MN

Another wackity-wack Repugnat seeking the limelight. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

March 25, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  21. Charlie from the North

Thanks Ryan but don't you want to see who the nominee is first?

This is a case of the "cart before the horse manure".

I to would like to announce that I would like to be VP. But only if Joe Biden is not available. There is no way I would run with any of these GOP/Tea party clowns (official apologies to all actual clowns for the comparison)

March 25, 2012 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  22. once upon a horse

Romney/Ryan 2012? I bet the senior population that use Medicare and are on Social Security will be running to the polls to pull the lever for that! And that portion of of population DOES come out and vote.

March 25, 2012 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  23. Jerry

Hey Debbie, isn't America great! Everyone, weather right or wrong, is entitled to his/her opinions.

Simply, lets not allow the present administration to finish their destruction of America. Like some of the president's supporters normally say: Enough said!!!

March 25, 2012 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  24. diridi

GOP gang is a big gang in America to rob the nation. Watch out these GOP thugs....Tax cuts to Wealthy, further make this nation go broke, and Tax only on Middle class. Nasty idiots of GOP thugs...just vote all the thugs of GOP out of offices, in November. Yes, I am for Obama2012/Hillary16.

March 25, 2012 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  25. T'sah From Virginia

All of the LOSERS from the RIGHT want to run for president/vice president now. They are using this opportunity to "practice" on the playing field. They know they will NOT win against President Obama in November so eh, what the heck!!! So all of the "you know you're not going to win" WANNABES are welcomed to join the party; just don’t cry like babies – like ginGRINCH & Santorum are doing now – when you are deeated!!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!!

March 25, 2012 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |