Ryan's open to V.P spot
March 25th, 2012

Ryan's open to V.P spot

Washington (CNN) – Republican Rep. Paul Ryan said he would “consider” serving in the No. 2 spot on the GOP presidential ticket in 2012.

But his response was surrounded by the obligatory “it’s not even something in my mind” and “I’m so focused on my job” lines.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

“I would consider it but it’s not even something in my mind because it’s a decision someone else makes at a later time,” Ryan said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “It’s a bridge I haven’t gotten close to having to cross so in the meantime I think it’s important to do my job.”

Ryan has risen to national prominence in his role as chairman of the House Budget Committee, becoming the point person for the Republican Party on debt and spending.

The Wisconsin representative, who closed the door to a potential presidential bid of his own early in the 2012 cycle, also said Romney is "on his way" to capturing his party’s nomination. The two met on Capitol Hill Thursday.

“I don’t know if I’d say he’s got it wrapped up,” Ryan said on “Fox News Sunday.” “He’s clearly on his way. I think he’s becoming the prohibitive frontrunner and I think the sooner we coalesce around a nominee the better off we’ll be. The prize is November, not this summer. I think it’s coming together, but I’ll let the people of this country decide that.”

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Paul Ryan
  1. Craig from Pa.

Pardon me while I puke!

March 25, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  2. ThinkAgain

Eddie Munster for VP – NOT!

March 25, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  3. FRANK FROM LAS VEGAS

Ryan once again shows his contempt for the middle class and his hatred of the poor and older Americans. He tells these outright lies about how his budget would help the middle class, the poor and the elderly. His plan only helps the rich and the corporations. The only bright spot is, is that the fine people of Wisconsin have the opportunity this November of not sending him back to Washington. They can save the country from this hateful person, send him packing to go home in November, do not re-rlrct Ryan, better yet elect someone who really cares, elect a democrat.

March 25, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Tony in Maine

Ironic that his face appears just above the worst VP in my memory (I'm old). I think Ryan could give Uncle Dick a run for that title though. The man is part of the "two classes only" (serfs and aristocracy) push by Republicans.

March 25, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  5. Randy, San Francisco

The best thing for the nation is for Ryan to resign from Congress so that he can no longer create mischief when he and Romney lose in November.

March 25, 2012 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  6. Tam

Did anyone even ask him?

March 25, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. SFRich

@BunnyBunny wrote "Paul Ryan is a hateful, mean, slimy, grandma killer, starving child kicker, pull the plug on grandpa. He is the Anti-Christ if there ever was gonna be one. He is Hitler light."

Ryan seems a lot like Dick Cheney in that regard... dark and evil. No wonder the GOP loves him.

March 25, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Vendella

No. No. No. One of the country's biggest con men.

March 25, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. buckup

Ryan, ODonnel, Palin, & Bachmann for VP. They can switch every year, bringing the GOP faithful to their wallets.

On national holidays they can rent out the VP position, leading next to privatization of the VP and balancing the budget.

As Cheney put it, the VP is a special constitutional position not subject to the law and oversight. The fourth branch of government perfect for corporate occupation, being that they are people, my friend.

March 25, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. Mike S.

I guess if Sarah Palin doesn't accept the vice presidential nomination, Ryan would be the next slimiest thing.

March 25, 2012 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  11. roro

All I can say is God Help Us, especially those of us on Medicare and Social Security.

March 25, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  12. Patrick Lewis

He's like a serial killer – charming yet cruel. And yes, a perfect example of the GOP

March 25, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  13. sheppardtoll

A recipe for disaster for Republicans in 2012, unless looks is a factor for the American Public. Ryan is HOTTT :)

March 25, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  14. Marla

I'm disabled, and I agree with Angryoldguy. If the repubs gain control next November, we are thinking that we will lose all of the federal retirement and social security money that my husband has paid in all of his working life, and that we were counting on for retirement in a few years. We'll probably head for another country, too. We'll have nothing left to lose, and perhaps we can settle somewhere in which I can get decent medical care without going bankrupt.

March 25, 2012 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  15. Morning1Sun

That is the scariest thing to see. That Ryan guy is so awful, Romney, Santourum and Gingrich would be sure to lose the Presidency. Maybe that is a good thing. I am voting democratic in the fall. You see I am an Independent. Sure was a mistake voting for Bush and Cheney. I am very happy with President Obama, and he has class, respectability and love for his American people. Wake up folks and smell the roses. President was raised in Hawaii where .people believe in OHANA, the family. The weather, the water and the people are full of the aloha spirit.

March 25, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. jb1963

He is the perfect Republican. He hates everything and everyone. Except of course the rich.

March 25, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  17. Nick

But he won't bring in any additional votes; GOP has shown that they don't care for the welfare of women, poor, blacks and Latinos. In order to bring in more support for a GOP candidate, they need to bring in a woman or a Latino candidate or else, they are going to lose big. If they think the support of bible thumping religious right is enough, they are mistaken. Lots of Catholics oppose the catholic church's stand on the birth control controversy.

March 25, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  18. av

Just make all effort that Obama wins this Nov, otherwise there will be chaos.

March 25, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. Nick

To sheppardtoll, I thought the same thing. Lol.

March 25, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. geg

the republicans don,t like the direction president obama is taking the country, but want to get back on the bush road to no-where,bush accomplished what other than money scams and crash and burn,the usa was the manufacting gaint of the world before reagan

March 25, 2012 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  21. Claudia, Phoenix, AZ

Ryan is a fraud, at age 18 he received Social Security benefits from his father's death which helped him attend college.

March 25, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Blue

Ryan will not win his next election. So he thinks, I had better get on the VP bandwagon and save face or job.

March 25, 2012 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. George

Forget it, Mr. Ryan. Romney is going to get the nomination and he will take that bloated screaming ape Christie as his VP choice, all the way down the tubes to defeat in November.

March 25, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. Ron

I'm 70 years old. Independent. Used to split my ticket about 50-50. But the Republicans have become so radical I can't find even one to vote for anymore.

March 25, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  25. Jay

Let's put one more Clown in the Car!

March 25, 2012 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |