Ryan's open to V.P spot
March 25th, 2012

Ryan's open to V.P spot

Washington (CNN) – Republican Rep. Paul Ryan said he would “consider” serving in the No. 2 spot on the GOP presidential ticket in 2012.

But his response was surrounded by the obligatory “it’s not even something in my mind” and “I’m so focused on my job” lines.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

“I would consider it but it’s not even something in my mind because it’s a decision someone else makes at a later time,” Ryan said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “It’s a bridge I haven’t gotten close to having to cross so in the meantime I think it’s important to do my job.”

Ryan has risen to national prominence in his role as chairman of the House Budget Committee, becoming the point person for the Republican Party on debt and spending.

The Wisconsin representative, who closed the door to a potential presidential bid of his own early in the 2012 cycle, also said Romney is "on his way" to capturing his party’s nomination. The two met on Capitol Hill Thursday.

“I don’t know if I’d say he’s got it wrapped up,” Ryan said on “Fox News Sunday.” “He’s clearly on his way. I think he’s becoming the prohibitive frontrunner and I think the sooner we coalesce around a nominee the better off we’ll be. The prize is November, not this summer. I think it’s coming together, but I’ll let the people of this country decide that.”

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Paul Ryan
  1. Bessy

This is so pathetic it is actually funny.
    @5041360 I couldn't have said it better myself. There is no way a Republican will ever have a chance with Paul Ryan as Vice President candidate. Actually, they don't have a chance anyway, but he would just make it worse.

March 25, 2012 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  2. Tony

My, my, my...doesn't he have a huge opinion of himself!

Nobody asked him to be VP, and nobody will.

He is as crazy as his Governor, and thinks only of the rich...working people will never support him; I would be surprised if he is re-elected to Congress!

March 25, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  3. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Paul Ryan is the perfect Republican. He has all the empathy for the Middle Class of Mitt Romney, the humility of Newt Gingrich, the self-doubt of Rick Santorum, the knowledge of world affairs of Ron and Rick Paul, the intellectual capacity of Sarah Palin and the integrity of Rick Perry. It would take a late 18th century laboratory on the banks of Lake Geneva to create a more perfect candidate.

March 25, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. megg

being a wisconsinite in ryan's district, i think that ryan's reelection here is dicey. as his star has risen in DC, ryan has done less and less here; given our state's own political climate, i don't see his being reelected.

March 25, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. MaryM

Well he would lose Romney the senior vote, That is for SURE

March 25, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  6. Togo

Great choice... his various budget proposals are so crazy, they'd wish Palin was back on the ticket.

March 25, 2012 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  7. K3Citizen

What's the difference between Ryan and Palin? Lipstick.

March 25, 2012 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  8. howiethehacker

Besides having an Irish surname and fairly good looks, what would Ryan offer a Romney ticket?

March 25, 2012 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. Shannon

Paul Ryan is all about destroying the middle class one family at a time. He's bought and paid for by his rich corporate friends, lower taxes for them, poverty for the rest of us.

March 25, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  10. Anonymous

This guy and alot of the people posting on here are crazy. Not sure how many people on here are old enough to remember but, the social security account had a big surplus many, many years ago. Congress borrowed that money and wrote the American tax payers a big IOU. Instead of cutting anything why not just have congress pay back the money they spent.

March 25, 2012 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  11. petena

Go for it. All my Republican friends are voting for Obama. They think the Republicans have gone nuts.

March 25, 2012 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  12. Meow

Hahahaha. He is terrible. Obama is going to run away with this. I can see the Ryan-Biden debate right now. So Ryan what important things have you done? Well I have one idea that I submit every year and it doesn't pass.

March 25, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Scef

All the repubs know are to cut social programs for the middle and poorer Americans. Ask the UK how austerity is working, 2 recessions in 3 years, and the say that the POTUS is trying to emulate Europe.

March 25, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  14. ThinkAgain

@Jerry: "I am a life-long Democrat but I happen to think a Romney/Ryan team would be good for our country, These two are not just clueless community organizers; they know their stuff!!!"

Let's see, President Obama's policies saved GM, took out bin Laden, brought our troops home from Iraq and is winding down in Afghanistan, keep our country from going into a Great Depression, resulted in 24 straight months of private sector job growth, passed healthcare reform (which no other president has done), passed the Lilly Ledbetter Act which guarantees women get paid the same as men doing the exact same work, repealed DADT, resulted in greater domestic energy production to the point we now EXPORT it, etc., etc., etc.

Not too shabby, especially considering how the Repubs have fought him every step of the way and have done everything to make him – and our country – fail.

Obama/Biden 2012: The only sane choice.

March 25, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  15. John

He not going to get reelected so why not. He won't win there either.

March 25, 2012 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. jon

Wisconsin please vote out Paul Ryan and Scott Walker! Get back your dignity as a state and stand up to these politicians that only think of themselves! Protect workers rights and seniors benefits!

March 25, 2012 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  17. Larry L

I'm thinking we have enough fascists in our government.

March 25, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  18. Chuck

Its not even on my mind??? Yet he says he would consider it?? What? Those two statements are contradictory. This guy is a blow hard.

March 25, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  19. blake

Ryan would be my second choice after Rubio for VP. He would add a great deal of strength and substance to the GOP ticket. A true conservative that understands, as few in Congress do, the need for immediate and significant action to deal with our foolish fiscal overspending.

March 25, 2012 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. Four and The Door

Paul Ryan would be an excellent choice for Vice President. It is a very small group of political leaders in Washington who understand it is their job to stand up and do the work of a nation rather than the work of politics. He is a star in this group.

March 25, 2012 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  21. mfx3

Name one GOP hack who wouldn't accept the offer to join as Romney's running mate. This isn't news. Even Sarah Palin accepted the last GOP VP offer, and she had no idea what the job even entailed (her words, not mine).

March 25, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  22. John

@Tony – in fairness, he didn't just lob that out there out of no where. He was responding to a question posed to him by a reporter. Having said that, hopefully whomever the nominee ends up being, they have more sense than to pick this guy.

March 25, 2012 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. jboh

Anyone who follows the elitist philosophy of Ayn Rand, and forces his aides to study it, is unfit for any public office. We don't need a royalist buffoon a heartbeat away from the presidency. Especially in such a toxic, polarized political environment. I hope his constituents send him packing in Nov.

March 25, 2012 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  24. John J. Puccio

Right, like he's so popular with his budget plan that ends Medicare as we know it, puts senior citizens on a voucher plan, and then passes the savings on to the super-rich. Atta boy, Ryan. We all love ya.

March 25, 2012 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  25. rodwick

Does the apple fall far from the tree?

March 25, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |