Ryan's open to V.P spot
March 25th, 2012

Ryan's open to V.P spot

Washington (CNN) – Republican Rep. Paul Ryan said he would “consider” serving in the No. 2 spot on the GOP presidential ticket in 2012.

But his response was surrounded by the obligatory “it’s not even something in my mind” and “I’m so focused on my job” lines.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

“I would consider it but it’s not even something in my mind because it’s a decision someone else makes at a later time,” Ryan said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “It’s a bridge I haven’t gotten close to having to cross so in the meantime I think it’s important to do my job.”

Ryan has risen to national prominence in his role as chairman of the House Budget Committee, becoming the point person for the Republican Party on debt and spending.

The Wisconsin representative, who closed the door to a potential presidential bid of his own early in the 2012 cycle, also said Romney is "on his way" to capturing his party’s nomination. The two met on Capitol Hill Thursday.

“I don’t know if I’d say he’s got it wrapped up,” Ryan said on “Fox News Sunday.” “He’s clearly on his way. I think he’s becoming the prohibitive frontrunner and I think the sooner we coalesce around a nominee the better off we’ll be. The prize is November, not this summer. I think it’s coming together, but I’ll let the people of this country decide that.”

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Paul Ryan
  1. GonzoinHouston

Waddaya gonna do, Mitt? Norquist and the TP's will want Ryan, but the Christian Taliban will want Santorum. Both factions are mean enough to sit out the election if they don't get what they want. The fun just never stops.

March 25, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  2. Nobodies Pon

Do they want to win? Really he is the medicare killer so his face on the ticket will make sure they dont get the old people vote.

March 25, 2012 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. benji

I cant wait to vote for Obama again in NOV.

March 25, 2012 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  4. Wade

You liberals would be funny if your ideas weren't so dangerous.

March 25, 2012 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  5. Mike

Perfect choice as he seems so sincere in truly believing the GOP lies on budgets and economics that he and his party spew. I think the alternative would be to select a women to help with that vote but, really after their blistering attacks on women and their health care choices who besides a complete whack job would run – wait maybe Ann Coulter is available.

March 25, 2012 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  6. keith1952

This was posted earlier by Joe from CT, I had to repost it because it is so true.

Paul Ryan is the perfect Republican. He has all the empathy for the Middle Class of Mitt Romney, the humility of Newt Gingrich, the self-doubt of Rick Santorum, the knowledge of world affairs of Ron and Rick Paul, the intellectual capacity of Sarah Palin and the integrity of Rick Perry. It would take a late 18th century laboratory on the banks of Lake Geneva to create a more perfect candidate.

March 25, 2012 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  7. achepotle

Well, he is the right colour...but is he a literal, 6 24 hour day Creati0nist?

March 25, 2012 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  8. Jewels

This just so happens to be one of the guys I cannot stand in D.C. So full of himself.

March 25, 2012 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. lynn

noway that noser should be a heartbeat away

March 25, 2012 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  10. JJ

...and you haven't got a chance in hades so might as well shut your piehole and go back to your useless office, Ryan. You're just as much a guaranteed loser as all the primary candidates.

March 25, 2012 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  11. Larry L

@Ron

I'm 70 years old. Independent. Used to split my ticket about 50-50. But the Republicans have become so radical I can't find even one to vote for anymore.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    You're not alone. I was a huge Goldwater fan (does that date me?) and I've always switched between parties just to keep the number of theives on one side under control. Now, I can only support the Democrats because the Republicans have lost touch with working people and allow the Tea Party radicals to call the shots. I like good fiscal common sense, tolerance for those unlike me, and compassion for the less fortunate – the Republicans seem a little short in those areas.

March 25, 2012 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  12. Jean Sartre - Milwaukee, WI

Mr Ego just so happens to be my congressman; nothing I can do about that until he comes up for re-election!

Paulie always thinks of himself as an ONLY CHILD...

Between Moammar Walker, our Governor, and this Koch Brother sychophant, Paulie, the state of WI is in ruins... I really would hope that someone would ask him – UNLIKELY – to serve as VP, it simply would make it so much more easy for President Obama to win re-election!

March 25, 2012 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  13. W. Tatro

It's prett obvious up to this point that the majority of the posters are S.E.I.U. members. Read what his bill says (If you can) From what I gather, it makes more sense than Obamacare.

You Obama slugs should stop frightening the Seniors.

Anybody but Obama

March 25, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  14. Sinbad396

Just what we need another nut case from Wiscoisin

March 25, 2012 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  15. Marie MD

What an ego for such a little, little nobody. This would be almost worse that the bimbo from AK because we know what a cretin he is already.

March 25, 2012 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  16. Doug Ericson

Ryan is an air head and his budget plan doesn't do anything.

March 25, 2012 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  17. 5041360

paul looks like the kind of guy that would stab anyone who gets in his way- mitt might want to think about that. Mitt is an extemely weak candidate- his comment about Afganistan (forgive the spelling) was terrifying- Ryan would only add to that terror

March 25, 2012 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  18. mark

If it is not on his mind and he is so focused "on his job", then why mention it at all?

March 25, 2012 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  19. Cindy

Another rich guy from a family corporation. These Republican radicals think the middle class and the poor are a lower form of life.

March 25, 2012 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  20. flopflipper

Whatever GOP candidate gets the nomination is almost obligated to pick Rubio as VP in order to swing Florida and maybe influence the Hispanic vote in other states. No other possible VP has such strong ties to one or more swing states.

March 25, 2012 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  21. Big George

He is the smartest one of the bunch!

March 25, 2012 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  22. angel611

Can you imagine those two faces at the head of our government?
    It's like the Stepford Husbands.
    Romney and Ryan are freaks.
    LOL

March 25, 2012 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  23. JC in Western U.S.

Oh please, please, let him be on the ticket of the GOP. The Democrats would be carried on the shoulders of independents back into the White House. And the over-50 crowd would be leading the parade.

March 25, 2012 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  24. pkbkr

Let's hope he is "the one." Us senior citizens will unite as never before to support our great president. This guy has no feelings for us, the poor, middle class, those in need of health care, .....in fact, not sure he cares about anyone but his own ego and getting airplay for the disgusting R's!

March 25, 2012 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  25. dina

Go ahead,, Make my Day and nominate Paul Ryan for VP and he will loose the race for preseident for Romney. All Seniors dislike him and so do women and good Democrats so he does not have a chace to make it good.He is brash and eotistic and pompous like the rest of them.

March 25, 2012 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |