Ryan's open to V.P spot
March 25th, 2012

Ryan's open to V.P spot

Washington (CNN) – Republican Rep. Paul Ryan said he would “consider” serving in the No. 2 spot on the GOP presidential ticket in 2012.

But his response was surrounded by the obligatory “it’s not even something in my mind” and “I’m so focused on my job” lines.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

“I would consider it but it’s not even something in my mind because it’s a decision someone else makes at a later time,” Ryan said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “It’s a bridge I haven’t gotten close to having to cross so in the meantime I think it’s important to do my job.”

Ryan has risen to national prominence in his role as chairman of the House Budget Committee, becoming the point person for the Republican Party on debt and spending.

The Wisconsin representative, who closed the door to a potential presidential bid of his own early in the 2012 cycle, also said Romney is "on his way" to capturing his party’s nomination. The two met on Capitol Hill Thursday.

“I don’t know if I’d say he’s got it wrapped up,” Ryan said on “Fox News Sunday.” “He’s clearly on his way. I think he’s becoming the prohibitive frontrunner and I think the sooner we coalesce around a nominee the better off we’ll be. The prize is November, not this summer. I think it’s coming together, but I’ll let the people of this country decide that.”

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Paul Ryan
  1. Publius Novus

Please chose Ryan. Lock the President in for another four. Yes,

March 25, 2012 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  2. Surfer George

I think a Santorum Ryan ticket would be a PERFECT loser to the Obama Biden ticket.

GO FOR IT!

March 25, 2012 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  3. karen in texas

Oh, Joe from CT, not Lieberman...I so appreciate some of your posts...especially this one....laughed my ass off!

March 25, 2012 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  4. Namejkane fl live from teapublican moon base no taxes, no regulation no health care, free gas.

Teapublicans going down in Dem landslide in Nov!!!!

March 25, 2012 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  5. Hawk in texas

Where do these insane people come from. the republicans all want to do away with the goverment, so why would they want to be president and vice president. when they would do away with it in the first days to hear them talk.

March 25, 2012 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  6. Randy, San Francisco

Can a moderate Republican like Romney trust Ryan who is a member of the conservative Tea Party?

March 25, 2012 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  7. ReaganDem

I will be so happy when this farce of Republicans in this election cycle deserve the beat down I hope they get in November and Republican with some sense of direction, common sense and true Republican ideas step forward and correct the direction of the party.

March 25, 2012 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  8. bilk7

Just what Romney needs.....someone who wants to cut Medicare to give the rich a bigger tax cut. Hmmm...maybe Ryan and Romney aren't that much different afterall.

March 25, 2012 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  9. Thinker

O please pick him as VP. It would be a nice gift to those of us who support Obama.

March 25, 2012 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  10. marjee123

And maybe they could find Herman Munster to be Secretary of Defense. And Grandpa for Secretary of State. Little Eddie Munster Ryan would be the perfect choice. He and Grandpa would go down in the basement and never be heard of again.

March 25, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  11. Investment Advisor

More crazy leftwing babble as usual on this site. You wisher-bees make my day. Good night!

March 25, 2012 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  12. Investment Advisor

Well, I just got my dose of left wing crap talk for the week.....Have you all got your hand out waiting for Uncle Sam to take care of you??? Cry us all a river!

March 25, 2012 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  13. PTBarnumboy

I can't see anyone being stupid enough to select this young pup as a running mate. I doubt he's able to even keep his seat in Wisconsin after his bright ideas about doing away with Medicare.

March 25, 2012 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  14. Pander Express

Jerry

I am a life-long Democrat but I happen to think a Romney/Ryan team would be good for our country,

_________

Sure you are. And I'm the Pope.

March 26, 2012 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  15. mike

Keep this GOP circus train alive.

March 26, 2012 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  16. The Left Wing

A Romney/Ryan ticket should get about 1% of the vote. However, they would actually get somewhere in the mid forties since there are a large number of working class Republicans hoping for table scraps from the rich and many Obama haters as well.

March 26, 2012 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  17. Think

I think he's just visiting Mr. Ryan to discuss how much he wants for his endorsement before the Wisconsin primary.

March 26, 2012 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  18. oldguy

...'cute' goes along way in politics...

March 26, 2012 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  19. Dave A

These people should be tried for treason!

March 26, 2012 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  20. Who opened the gate? The Idiot's have walked In !

OMG ! If republicans keep trying to pull idiotic stunt's like this , they are dead men walking ! They just haven't realized it yet ! With each passing day they are digging their graves deeper and deeper ! This election cycle is going to be awful for them !

March 26, 2012 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  21. Maddog Captain

BRILLIANT!!! make the Republican VP nominee the guy that want's to STEAL Seniors MediCare to give MORE tax breaks to the 1%.

IF the Democrates had ANY organization in Wisconsin, Ryan wouldn't even hold his current Congressional seat.

the people that Republicans are fronting for VP, Gov Bob "Vaginal Probe" McDonnell, Sen Marco "My Family Didn't REALLY Flee Castro" Rubio and now Rep Paul "Things Go Better With Koch (Brothers)" Ryan are even WIERDER than the currnet crop of Presidental candidates and THAT'S pretty WIERD.

March 26, 2012 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  22. Robyn

David Duke wasn't available?

March 26, 2012 03:43 am at 3:43 am |
  23. thomas

Isn't he on the new season of Madmen ?

March 26, 2012 03:48 am at 3:48 am |
  24. Orwell shrugs

Texas governor Rick Perry is the best choice. Every Texan will vote for him, he brings prestige of the lone star state to insider Washington. He likes Halliburton. He is brave enough to go hunting with VP Dick Cheney, and man enough to toe-tap with Senator Larry Craig. Creationists love him as a principled scientist who knows the RIGHT truths.

March 26, 2012 03:51 am at 3:51 am |