Santorum open to being Romney's running mate
March 26th, 2012

Santorum open to being Romney's running mate

(CNN) - If Mitt Romney becomes the Republican presidential nominee, rival Rick Santorum would not rule out the idea of becoming his running mate, the former Pennsylvania senator said in an interview on Monday.

Asked by the Christian Broadcasting Network if he would consider a vice presidential offer, Santorum said he would do everything he could to help the country.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Of course. I mean, look. I would do in this race as I always say, this is the most important race in our country's history. I'm going to do everything I can. I'm doing everything I can."

Backing up his point, Santorum pointed to his dedication to the campaign, saying he's only had five days off in the last 10 months.

"I've been working every single day. My wife and my kids, we're just busting our tail, because we know their future and all of our children's future is at stake in this election," he said.

Asked again if he was "keeping his options open" for a VP spot, Santorum did not shoot down the notion.

"I'll do whatever is necessary to help our country," Santorum said.

His comment marked a pivot away from his increased rhetoric against Romney in recent days.

On Sunday, Santorum took heat for calling Romney the "worst Republican" to nominate against President Barack Obama when health care policy is factored in. And last week, the former senator heavily walked back a comment in which he said Americans would be better off with Obama winning a second term than Romney being elected to the White House.

Also see:

Santorum: Romney 'worst Republican' to run against Obama

Ryan's open to V.P spot

Graham's 'comfortable' with Romney

Plouffe calls out GOP candidates over Obama reaction

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Mitt Romney • Rick Santorum
  1. Thomas

Romney has other plans !

Rick needs to find a real job.

March 26, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. Al-NY,NY

Please do so Rick and Mittens. Obama in a LANDSLIDE

March 26, 2012 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  3. diridi

this idiot is a male Sarah Palin....nasty idiot. He is not for the nation, in fact none of the four. This idiot is for VP. Shame, America, you got to put up these B@#$&%dt.

March 26, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  4. FIELD1stSGT

I don't know why he would want you the way your steamrolling him.

March 26, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. Montreal Wes

HAHA

Santorum is open to being the running mate for the man he described as "the worst Republican in the country to run against Obama". What a freaking MORON !!!! How can anyone take this guy seriously ???

March 26, 2012 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  6. Marie MD

What!!!!!?????? This is pure comedy from these guys.
    You wantnto help the country? Go away, get lost, disappear, scoot! LOL

March 26, 2012 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  7. Montreal Wes

I wish my name was David Letterman.... my job would be so easy this year....

March 26, 2012 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. timothy

I'm open to being Romney's running mate too. YAWN

March 26, 2012 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  9. Harry Wreckdom

Well, having Rmoney as POTUS and you as VPOTUS certainly would NOT help this country – it would be Shrub Jr all over again and surely be the end of these United States as we all have known it........

March 26, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  10. Cfrench

So, Mr. Bible thumper would compromise his morals and be VP to the "worst republican"? This guys an absolute moron. The further we get into this circus called the republican primary process the more I am convinced this guys got some serious mental issues. I mean, look at the stuff that comes out of his mouth. Joe Biden's got nothing on this guys level of foot in mouth disease.

March 26, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. Valentina

Are you kidding? Not a chance now after you've practically endorsed Obama over Romney and called Romney "the worst Republican" to run against Obama. You've become an embarrassment to this whole presidential contest – time for you to quietly exit the national stage.

March 26, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. LouAz

And if I become VPOTUS, I will spend all my time praying to my god to cause the demise of the POTUS.

March 26, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Don't hold your breath Ricky! Like your nomination, it ain't happenin'!!!

March 26, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. Alexanders

No Thanks Mr. Santorum. I would not want you to be a VP. Romney can have better choices. Just leave!

March 26, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  15. big d

bad mouth romney, then be willing to be his right hand man what a hippocrit, and he calls romney a flip flopper. lets fast forward to an obama romney election and deal with the real issue of deciding the best way forward, not santorum and his 12 century ideas.

March 26, 2012 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. jOHN

so fisrt, he's "the wrong choice", but now you want to be his vice president? YOU ARE A JOKE. SANTORUM, AND A NUTCASE!

March 26, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  17. blairablair

On Sunday, Santorum called Romney the "worst Republican" to nominate against President Barack Obama when health care policy is factored in. And last week he said Americans would be better off with Obama winning a second term than Romney being elected to the White House. Now he is open to be Romeny's running mate. Me thinks he has shook his etch a sketch to much and a brain cell has come loose.

March 26, 2012 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. Rush

Rick will do for Mitt, what Sarah did for John. Perfect!

March 26, 2012 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  19. Dave

This nitwit should never, ever be the POTUS or a heartbeat away from it. Ever.

March 26, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. Ambrose Smith

Those southern evangelical wackos would put a bounty on the Mormon's head if Santorum were VP. They want the Ayatollah as President and it would be dangerous for Romney to choose Santorum as VP. (Though he never will.)

Give it up Ayatollah Santorum!

March 26, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  21. The Real Tom Paine

If he wants to help the country, he can leave.

March 26, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. Sorensen

A nobody and a nut-case bible-banger!! Great job GOP. You are going down in flames.

March 26, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Wire Palladin, S. F.

He is the worst GOP candidate to run for president, but now Rick wants to run with him? Even republicans have to say that is stupid.

March 26, 2012 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  24. Wire Palladin, S. F.

So if Rick is on the ticket with Mittens, and Mittens disappears at a tea bagger rally, does Rick become the candidate?

March 26, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  25. Expat American

The chances of Romney beating President Obama stand at slim to none. With Santorum on board as the VP candidate, Romney’s chances are downgraded from slim to none to none to none.

Santorum ranks somewhere between Palin and a cow pattie.

March 26, 2012 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |