Bush 41 to endorse Romney
March 28th, 2012

Bush 41 to endorse Romney

Washington (CNN) - In another sign the GOP establishment is coalescing behind Mitt Romney, former President George H.W. Bush is scheduled to formally endorse the Republican frontrunner on Thursday.

A Romney campaign spokeswoman confirmed Bush is expected to officially throw his support behind the GOP contender at an event in Houston, near the former president's home.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Before Wednesday's campaign announcement, the Bush family had already signaled its support for Romney. Earlier this month, the campaign recruited former first lady Barbara Bush to record pro-Romney robo-calls in the days leading up the Ohio primary on Super Tuesday.

"We have known the Romneys for years and believe Mitt is the best man to lead the country for the next four years and Ann will make a great first lady," Mrs. Bush said on the call.

Last December, Bush made it clear he intended to support Romney in an interview with the Houston Chronicle.

"I think Romney is the best choice for us," former President Bush told the Houston Chronicle.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush endorsed Romney last week.

Filed under: 2012 • George H.W. Bush • Mitt Romney
  1. Reasonably

Read my lips: No new taxes...a New World Order...What I start my son will finish...and now for the punchline I give you Romney!

March 28, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  2. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Big woop. GOBP are really at the bottom. W has been hiding for four years now. Mitt McCain needs him like a hole in the head.

March 28, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Another Day in the Idiot Mines

One predatory elitist neocon family endorses another. So where's the news?

March 28, 2012 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  4. jake

great, a one term president backing someone who will never be president. atta boy george. Obama 2012!

March 28, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  5. Troy

Endorsements don't really matter. I'm not real crazy about the current crop of GOP candidates, but it has come down to the fact that anybody will do less damage to this country than Obama has done and will continue to do. I love reading on here how liberals are attributing things put in place before Obama took office as "his accomplishments" and ignoring his glaring failures. Granted there are some good things that I like in the health care law, but they are overshadowed by the more damaging. I hope the SCOTUS gets rid of it so real positive healthcare reform can be implemented. Hopefully including the few good things in the current law.

March 28, 2012 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  6. Natalie

Gee, what a shocking surprise; The GOP establishment is behind the robot.

March 28, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  7. Fair is Fair

@ Debbie – well, the "/end sarcasm" in my post should have been a giveaway, but yes, it was quite tongue-in-cheek. You see, there's a nameless regular in here who actually buys all that stuff. I couldn't resist.

March 28, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  8. Sunday wankari

Am highly impressed by the perfomance of mitt romney so far in the primary,keep it up,the coast is bright and clear,goodluck

March 28, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  9. NoKidding

LOL! Romney must be thinking: OH PLEASE DON'T, PLEASE!!!!

March 28, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. JoJo

Now that GHW Bush has endorsed Romney, what the Republicans need to do to ensure they win in November is have GW Bush endorse Obama.

March 28, 2012 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. J.Crobuzon

They are whistling through the graveyard, and this just puts a point on the fact that the Last Republican President was so dominated and whipped by his VP that he wasn't really president at all; if he was, he'd have endorsed someone instead of lying around drunk all day.

March 28, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. Debbie

If Romney is the best the Republicans have to offer, I will be voting outside of my party. He misspeaks and then corrects himself (after his advisors sound the uh-oh buzzer) way too often. He is a power hungry, misspeaking, egotistical man in search of the ultimate power. His check list probably goes something like this: fire people (check), hide money in off shore accounts (check), make Americans being helped by the safety net feel even worse than they already do (check) obtain Republican nomination for President (-–), be President (--).

March 28, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  13. goodegyptian

Did you know that senior Bush never endorsed his own son? It's true.

March 28, 2012 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. Debbie

@ Fair is Fair: I'm very sorry. My caustic sense of humor took control of my key pad.

March 28, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. Just Say No to Flipper

Of course 41 is endorsing Rmoney; Rmoney reminds George of his own incompetent spoiled brat.

March 28, 2012 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  16. yoshimoto

Hey, this Bush was okay in my book. Level-headed. His son had no brains and tried to outdo his father and has just about destroyed this country. But even Bush Sr liked to play in the world sandbox while the country's economy went downhill. The GOP really, really needs to get rid of these neocons and get people in there like Ron Paul who are America First!

March 28, 2012 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  17. i want a mega rich Mormon who hides money overseas, and a master tax evader as president

Sorry, but not voting for a Mormon who hides cash.

March 28, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. Data Driven

This is still the Trending post? Really?

Hey guys! There's a major Supreme Court decision coming down, and some opinions have already been stated. Sounds exciting, huh? Better hurry and get down there to cover it!

Too bad, I've already got some news on the ACA somewhere else! "Political Ticker", indeed.

March 28, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  19. Sid Prejean

Your "teaser" on the CNN home page should have been more clear. "Bush Endorsement Coming" probably sent panic throughout the Romney camp and sent the Obama folks out for ice cream cake anticipating George W. Bush's endorsement.
    Then we find out that it is George H. W. Bush. The Romney folks can relax and the Obama folks should get back to work.

March 28, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  20. packerfans

Vote for Mitt Romney who can save America!! President Bush was right about Mitt Romney can best one for America!!

March 28, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  21. marjee123

Oh my goodness I would never want any Bush to endorse me the kiss of death. Jed was bad enough but now his Dad also...down in flames and all your buddies also Romney.

March 28, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  22. EPAB

Troy – You don't think that a GOP Pres will do anything about health care, do you? Especially if it's Santorum?

March 28, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  23. Debbie

@ Just Say No to Flipper: now that was funny! Never realized I'd been mis-spelling Mitt's last name. That was good!

March 28, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. ibarkley

I have been able to rub shoulders with Romney and some of the former Gop crop and i have also attended meetings with Obama- prior to his election. Romney and Obama are both very smart / great guys but have vastly different views on managing budgets and improving the economy. I am a centrist and supported Huntsman as a candidate but am very comfortable with Romney as the alternative. The guys past is squeeky clean and if you ask any of his former collegues in Mass, Olympics, or Bain, they all admit that his performance is stellar.

March 28, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  25. Naturalcanadiangal

That should be cause enough to vote for the other guy!

March 28, 2012 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |