Bush 41 to endorse Romney
March 28th, 2012

Bush 41 to endorse Romney

Washington (CNN) - In another sign the GOP establishment is coalescing behind Mitt Romney, former President George H.W. Bush is scheduled to formally endorse the Republican frontrunner on Thursday.

A Romney campaign spokeswoman confirmed Bush is expected to officially throw his support behind the GOP contender at an event in Houston, near the former president's home.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Before Wednesday's campaign announcement, the Bush family had already signaled its support for Romney. Earlier this month, the campaign recruited former first lady Barbara Bush to record pro-Romney robo-calls in the days leading up the Ohio primary on Super Tuesday.

"We have known the Romneys for years and believe Mitt is the best man to lead the country for the next four years and Ann will make a great first lady," Mrs. Bush said on the call.

Last December, Bush made it clear he intended to support Romney in an interview with the Houston Chronicle.

"I think Romney is the best choice for us," former President Bush told the Houston Chronicle.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush endorsed Romney last week.

Filed under: 2012 • George H.W. Bush • Mitt Romney
  1. BunnyBunny

Even though Bush 1 only served one term it's better than being endorsed by Bush 2. Bush 2 looks really frail in that picture on top. He's 88 now.

March 28, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. steven harnack

Why would anyone in the middle class vote for a guy who has said that one of the first things that he will do is to make sure that he, and his family and friends, will never pay another dime of taxes. I mean, he's already pointed out that he is going to screw you and keep his cash. Of course Bushes support him, they get in on the deal.

March 28, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. VV111

Well, game over. Who didn't see this one coming? As a Paul supporter I will keep up the good fight, but let's face it–this GOP race (in fact all elections) have become a joke. It's the corruption of the process that disturbs me so greatly.

March 28, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. Sniffit

Crap...it was LInus with the blanky, not Schroeder, wasn't it. I knew I got that analogy wrong somehow. Ah well.

March 28, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. Wake up people

@The REAL Truth and sniffitt, THANK YOU! I love reading your posts. They are always spot on. It amazes me that anyone would want to go back to the same policies that nearly destroyed this country. I lost everything thanks to Bush as did many others that I know. But thanks to our President, I and most of the others are working again. I'm not making what I used to but I am working. Keep up the good work.

OBAMA 2012!

March 28, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. drafter31

Wow...A RINO endorsing a RINO...now that is REAL news...

March 28, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  7. Nick

So who is George W. Bush backing? It seems strange that he has not put his support behind Romney as well.

March 28, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. db

President Bush Sr is a good man. He did many good things for our country. People should be respectful. I didn't vote for President Clinton but he tried to do a decent job and I can respect him. Its a tough job whoever gets it.

March 28, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. us1776

And we have Geezer Wingnut endorsing one of the Desperate Wingnuts.

A Bush endorsement is more like the Kiss of Death.

March 28, 2012 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  10. T'sah From Virginia

And the moral of this story ISSSSSSSS???????

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!!

March 28, 2012 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  11. Max

SO????????? Just another BUSH

Who care for the endorsement of 'just another BUSH"? maybe Romney should just forlorn his presidential campaign and continue building his elevators for his cars...showing off his millionaire status. DUH!

March 28, 2012 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  12. Michael DOe

I wish we still had a president like George HW Bush. He was the last good president. Clinton was elected because he was "cool" with Hollywood and yet he was a slick liar. George W. Bush was elected because of his father but George W. had no expierence to be president and was not bright enough as much as he tried. Barack Obama I like alot but he was elected because he was cool and he needed to wait another 12 years before running and then with more expierence he may have made a great president. A 2nd Obama term will be just like the 2nd Bush term only in different ways. Because Obama is a good leader in character the best he can hope for is to lose in November and then be remembered as "Obama was not that bad" like George HW Bush is remembered as. Part of why George W. Bush was elected was because people were thinking "George HW Bush was not that bad afterall and Clinton had poor character". I think Bill Clinton got lucky and things went well but had he been president 2005-2013 then he would have been a disasterous president like Herbert Hoover.

March 28, 2012 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  13. souptwins

It's pretty sad when people can't respect a former president. Whether you agree with HW Bush's policies or not, he was actually a very civil and respected President. I don't call Obama offensive names even though I don't like what his policies have done. We all need to do a check-up from the neck-up when calling men of integrity disrespectful names. I wonder how many do this were even old enough to remember his administration.

March 28, 2012 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  14. Fed Up

Who Cares? This is the father of the sorriest excuse for a president, this country has ever had. He and the rest of the Bushes need to stay in hiding.

March 28, 2012 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  15. Honest Abe

Romney is the most qualified. And he's not a 'Washington Insider".

Romney in 2012.

March 28, 2012 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  16. Thomas

Bush #1 has my respect , even though I didn't vote for him.
    I can't wait for his son Bush #2 to come out and endorse the LaterDay Reagan.

You know the GOP doesn't want Bush #2 showing his face on the same stage as Romney.

March 28, 2012 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  17. GI Joe

Romney will win the vote of every republican that has over $250,000 per year income. Proven. But that's it. How many people do you know personally that make that much?

March 28, 2012 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  18. Another Day in the Idiot Mines

"It's the corruption of the process that disturbs me so greatly."

This is where the left and right need to unite.

March 28, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  19. Four and The Door

Sniffit
    "He came up with an $800 billion spending bill based on promises of 4 million jobs."

By that definition, mission accomplished. He's added 4M jobs in the past 3 years and we've had job growth for 24 straight months.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    Only if you ignore the 4.8 million jobs that were lost in this period. And job growth? Not quite. Unemployment peaked about 2 days before American taxpayers voted Republican in 2010. It's been coming down since then.

March 28, 2012 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. Bob Loblaw

This picture of Bush makes Ron Paul look like a "ready to take on the world" youngster. Even though I wish Ron Paul got elected, I don't see that happening. Romney 2012!

March 28, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  21. Simeon Namore

Ah...the sweet kiss of death.

March 28, 2012 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  22. Sniffit

"Again, if Santorum is the nominee, i sit this one out! (sorry but i want to win) santorum, gingrich, and paul simply CAN'T win a general election!"

And what you seem to be oblivious to is just how many conservatives and independents out there feel precisely the same way about Mittens receiving the nomination. There's gonna be a lot of conservatives sitting on the bench in November.

March 28, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  23. zago

This is a sign that the Republican side of the equation is collapsing. I thought he has endorsed the Gov. already! What's going on with those folks? Why twice? Even in endorsements we cannot trust them to play by the rules, though informal? This is a joke. One of them is clearly attention deprived. What a publicity stunt! My gosh!

March 28, 2012 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  24. BILL S.

Maybe Romney will give him a ride on one of the car elevators inside Romney's LA mansion?

March 28, 2012 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  25. Vijay

If son endorse Romney, why not father and brother? Mitt Romney will win the nomination. His campaign is full of negativism compared with Rick and others. He has money from wall street bankers and his personal wealth. I like George Romney his father than him. He was honest. Mitt Romney is a greatest ever flip floper ever run as a president. His only ambition is to be president. However he will be facing the most toughest opponent ever. Obama is much tough candidate to beat. He is much tougher than Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter and so on.. At the end Obama will prevail and he will be sworn as president for next four years. Watch out!!!

March 28, 2012 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |