Recall vote scheduled in Wisconsin, Republican ad war continues
March 30th, 2012

Recall vote scheduled in Wisconsin, Republican ad war continues

(CNN) - The recall election against Republican Gov. Scott Walker was ordered on Friday by Wisconsin's Government Accountability Board, the board's public information officer confirmed to CNN.

After more than 900,000 signatures were collected, the group voted five to zero to order an election against the incumbent governor on June 5 and schedule a Democratic primary for May 8.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Walker has faced intense backlash from a bill passed in February of 2011 to curtail the collective bargaining rights of state employees. Republicans in Wisconsin insisted the move was necessary to control the skyrocketing costs of public employee benefits and close the budget shortfall. Democrats argued it was an attempt to gut public-sector labor unions, one of their core constituencies.

The board announcement comes on the same day the Republican Governors Association launched its second round of ads criticizing Walker's potential Democratic challengers.

The national organization unveiled two ads targeting the Democratic hopefuls, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett and former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, who will likely face off in the state's Democratic primary, over policies they said contributed to an increases in unemployment and taxes in their respective cities.

"Typical liberal Madison politician, raised taxes and lost jobs. Kathleen Falk for governor? I don't think so," the narrator said in one of the spots.

"Under Barrett, Milwaukee's one of America's 10 worst cities for unemployment. Spending up, taxes up, unemployment up. Governor Tom Barrett? I don't think so," the narrator in the other spot said.

Although the RGA would not disclose the exact size or duration of the buy, they characterized it as a statewide broadcast and cable effort at significant levels.

Voters in the state remain divided over the impending recall election, according to a new poll. The NBC/Marist survey released Friday showed Wisconsin voters were divided over the upcoming election. Forty-six percent of Badger State voters said they will support Walker in the race, while 48% said they will vote for the eventual Democratic candidate.

Walker's approval and disapproval figures were equal at 48%, while a majority of likely Republican voters said they are following the recall election more closely than the GOP primary race, 51% to 37%.

– CNN's Deanna Proeller contributed to this report.

Also see:

Kerry rallies democratic supporters by warning of 'swift boat' redux

Romney, Gingrich held private meeting

Bush asks about son's endorsement

RNC reserves vital cash for eventual GOP nominee

Filed under: Republicans • Scott Walker • Wisconsin
  1. Mikey

@Not to mention...
    Please, Walker did not campaign on union busting or taking away workers rights. That is simply not true. Also, when you turn in a million signatures, sure some of them are going to be invalid. It always happens and that is they always collect more than they need. Walker choose not to challeng them because he knew they had more than enough valid signatures.

March 30, 2012 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. mk1

Keep in mind that the vast majority of money going to Walker for ads is coming from outside the state. I heard that at least 90% is outside money. The recall Walker folks have made it clear they want little outside money and admit they will be outspent by a huge margin.
    I also get a kick out of the right trying to equate business and union contributions to politics. The amount of money available from business far exceeds that available from unions. Hey, what union member is able to personally donate tens of millions of dollars of their own money to campaigns like the heads of businesses do? Many of the super pacs of the right have only a handful of contributors giving millions each. If that is not buying our country I sure don't know what is.

March 30, 2012 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. Mikey

@Truth – please let us know how much you are donating to Walker and I will donate twice as much to the opposition.

March 30, 2012 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  4. macrasta

democracy at work. Good job, Wisconsin!

March 30, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  5. Claudia, Phoenix, AZ

The people of Wisconsin didn't vote a "snake" into office but Walker proved to be exactly that while allowing the Koch Brothers to control the State of Wisconsin. Walker's not for the people, he's unfit to govern any state.

March 30, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. Stephanie

Walker successfully made the State of Wisconsin look very bad, both nationally and internationally. To see educators badly treated as if they were worthless, did the reputation of Wisconsin no favors. Whether you are a Republican or Democrat, you don't need someone like Walker.

March 30, 2012 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Lizzie

Ano... and A in Austin, leave to Koch Brothers out of this, or we have to put George Soros into the mix, who with Bernanke conspires to ruin the dollar and doing a pretty good job of it.

March 30, 2012 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. Arthur

Voter remorse in action! Just wondering when it is going to happen in Virginia, Maine and Arizona.

March 30, 2012 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  9. Scott

Truth...

I don't need to know you, you tell everyone exactly who you are every time you make a post. You are full of hate, and you aren't too bright, and most of us feel bad for you.
    I just call them like I see them. Now I'm going to collect my nice paycheck from my law firm, and enjoy my weekend with my hot girl friend in Miami Beach...

March 30, 2012 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  10. Lizzie

mk1, not to count all the OUTSIDE union money that's flowing into Wisconsin plus union agitators bussed in from out of state. But if the people of WI want union controll, it will go in the direction of California being BROKE and more people out of work.

March 30, 2012 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  11. Scott

**Typo**

Sorry, not Truth, but this is to Fair is Fair

March 30, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  12. Elliott

Why are some people thinking more about ME the People instead of WE the people. Pathetic.

March 30, 2012 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  13. Lynda/Minnesota

"Sir, if that is all you have, you've lost your arguement before it's even started."

I'm going out on a limb here, Fair, but it might be your comments which cause some folks to generalize about you. For the rest (your gender, your race, your political affiliation) you have yourself been vocal enough for most of us to decide for ourselves what it is you troll for. Going back 3 years of comments does eventually take a toll.

March 30, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  14. Rick 7809

The unfortunate thing for Walker in this is that he was attacking a problem that is like the elephant in the room. Public employee pensions and benefits are out of control and without the huge stock market gains of the past the pension funds cannot keep up. His problem is that he did it in a Tea Party "in your face" method and just ticked people off.

March 30, 2012 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  15. NATHAN WIMBERLY

GOBP overreach. The Koch boys' playbook nationwide.

March 30, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. Bill

It is over for Walker, despite big out-of-state money being used to help him. People vote, not dollar bills. He will be only the third governor in history who will have been recalled. And he richly deserves his impending rebukement.

March 30, 2012 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. Scott

Fair is Fair
    @ Scot –

"You know, normally I don't respond to a lowlife such as yourself that automatically calls anyone who disagrees with this president a racist. YOU, sir, know NOTHING about me – NOTHING. You know not my race, color, creed, nor gender. Yet, you feel justified to accuse me of racism. Sir, if that is all you have, you've lost your arguement before it's even started."

I'm not calling you a racist because you disagree with the president. I'm calling you a racist because it seems you have a such a strong hatred towards black people...

March 30, 2012 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. The Real Tom Paine

Walker guaranteed that with his program in place, WI would start to resurge: the exact opposite has happened. Jobs are flooding out of the state because Walker has gutted the sort of things that attract businesses to the state in the first place, namely good educational systems and a solid infrastructure. The righties see me to think that these things are inconsequential to starting or relocating a business. If you gut taxes, the infrastructure will literally crumble. Its a long-term proposition that requires constant attention, which would explain why the righties are incapable of running anything in the long term. Invest in infrastructure and invest in people, and the businesses will follow and they will stay: do the opposite, and you get a Scott Walker on the hook for the Koch Brothers, doing their bidding.

March 30, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  19. Orwell predicts

Fascists are not right.

March 30, 2012 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  20. cobra

The honest and non union people of Wisconsin will re elect Governor Walker in a land slide. You one million signatures are probably loaded with illegal ones anyway from out of state union thugs.

March 30, 2012 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. brew987

What will happen when Walker wins re-election? I guess the Democrats will run away again. Typical.

March 30, 2012 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. Dave

Walker is done. Republicans throughout the nation are going to be recalled this year. That is the punishment for ideological rigidity and partisan politics that drives away regular, sane American voters.

March 30, 2012 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  23. normajean @ verizon ,com

Having followed this story closely from the very beginninhg....I can only say "recall" couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. The very fact that the Koch Bros. are behind his financing makes him DANGEROUS!!!!! GOODBYE WALKER AND GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!!!!

March 30, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  24. Scott

cobra

What's an illegal signature? Like a signature made with cocaine instead of ink?

Not to mention I'm pretty sure they check all the signatures to make sure they're not "illegal signatures", whatever that means. And out of state union thugs? yes, because when I look at firefighters and teachers and garbage men, all I can think about is how they spend all their time roughing up children for their lunch money...

REALLY DUDE? Why do I feel offended that you get as many votes as I do?

March 30, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |