Romney stays optimistic before Tuesday votes despite unwavering challengers
April 1st, 2012

Romney stays optimistic before Tuesday votes despite unwavering challengers

Washington (CNN) - Consistently defiant rivals are doing little to hamper Mitt Romney's momentum ahead of nominating contests on Tuesday in what is shaping up to be more of a general election fight between the former Massachusetts governor and President Barack Obama's re-election team.

Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich on Sunday insisted they will stay in the race until a candidate reaches 1,144 delegates - the necessary threshold to win the Republican presidential nomination - while acknowledging Romney currently has the advantage.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Newt Gingrich • Rick Santorum • Wisconsin
  1. Lindsey

Romney is a sure loser against Obama! Santorum is right when he says Romney offers no contrast to Obama. We need a third party candidate in this race as this choice comes down to Obama or Obama-Lite! I guess I'll just stay home if this is the best this country can do!

April 1, 2012 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  2. ThinkAgain

I hope Ricky and Newtsie DO stay in the race if/when Mittens gets 1,144 delegates. The more exposure all these GOP clowns get, the more chance for the GOP voters to go through the 5 stages of waking up to the reality that their party does NOT have their best interest at heart:

1. Denial – No way have I been so dumb to believe all this GOP nonsense for the last several years!

2. Anger – I haven't been duped, it's those terrible Liberal/gay/minority Democrats who are to blame!

3. Bargaining – OK, maybe I haven't been dealing with reality, so even if I think Mittens belongs to a cult, I'll vote for him, but all the GOP failed policies will still work, right?

4. Depression – I've been had! Democrats really DON'T want me to marry gay or take my guns or not let me go to the church of my choice or keep my doctor ... And all those rich folks really DON'T care about me! They just keep throwing divisive social issues at me, so I'll vote against my own self-interest .... AGAIN!

5. Acceptance – Oh all right, the GOP really HAS been trying to destroy me and the rest of the Middle Class and working poor to line their pockets. I don't know if I can bring myself to vote for that Muslim Kenyan in the White House, but at least I'll retain a little self-respect and sit out the 2012 election.

April 1, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

I'll vote for Santorum. Rather a principled moron than an unprincipled wishy washy one...

April 1, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  4. Wire Palladin, S. F.

When your opponents have no money, and you can spend $60 million in negative ads against them to only get 40% of the republican vote, you may be a Romney.

April 1, 2012 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  5. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Sick of your ads Mitt. Sick of your lies. Sick of you trying to buy this election.

April 1, 2012 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  6. Wire Palladin, S. F.

If you are for the Wall Street bail out, but against helping the American workers, you might be a Romney.

April 1, 2012 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  7. Just Say No to Flipper

Just remember, if Rmoney ultimately succeeds in buying the nomination, Rove and his henchmen will be loudly proclaiming this clown car campaign of flaccid fools was "tough" and Rmoney was "well-vetted." Neither of which is true, of course.

April 1, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  8. GI Joe

He doesn't know the players and drivers, he knows the owners.

He doesn't want to know the little people, he wants to own us.

Vote straight Dem in November, or lose everything you have.

April 1, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  9. once upon a horse

Mitt is winning these states true but the GOP voter turn out is really SAD. He will win the GOP nomination basically by default. We will see how things go in November.

April 1, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |