April 2nd, 2012

Bill Clinton weighs a Hillary Clinton presidential bid

(CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton left the door open to his wife Hillary Clinton running for office again, despite the current secretary of state's repeated insistence she will not seek the presidency in the future.

"I believe she's being absolutely honest with you when she says she doesn't think she'll go back into politics," Clinton said in an interview that aired Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America." "But if she comes home and we do this foundation stuff for the rest of our lives I'll be happy. If she changes her mind and decides to run I'll be happy."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Clinton said Secretary Clinton plans to "come home and decompress and relax" after serving as chief diplomat, a post she has repeatedly said will be her last role in public service.

The former president unsurprisingly predicted the incumbent president will win re-election by a significant margin.

"I think that his argument will be we put a floor under the recession and kept it from becoming a depression," Clinton said. "We have begun to dig our way out. I think that's he's going to win handily and I have for a long time."

He also compared and contrasted the attacks he endured during his first presidential run in 1992 to those lobbed at Romney.

"Mine was just one long character attack, but we never had to change what we were saying from the primary to the general," Clinton said. "The problem Gov. Romney has is his character attack was you don't really know what he believes- he did this, he says that."

Also see:

Romney gets punk'd, April Fools style

Biden stands by Obama on 'hot mic' controversy

Clinton criticizes Romney's remarks on Russia

McConnell: Romney will be an 'outstanding' nominee

Filed under: 2012 • 2016 • Bill Clinton • Hillary Clinton • Mitt Romney
  1. Bman

April Fools!

April 2, 2012 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  2. Anonymous

The only "politician" with a lower character than Bill Clinton was Edward Kennedy.

April 2, 2012 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama (the real one)

Would age be a factor? How old would Hillary be
    -------------------------------------------------
    Didn't Google it, but I'm thinking 70. I didn't see age making a difference with McCain getting the GOP nod; although he quickly lost impetus when he brought P.Y.T. Palin on board. Hillary would be our Margaret Thatcher. I'd go smiling to my grave if she were elected in 2016!

April 2, 2012 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  4. Wake up people

This is one subject that I'm not sure about. I have always voted democrat but I don't believe I could ever vote for Hillary. I used to be a huge fan of both Clintons until the 08 primaries. Originally I would have voted for whomever became the nominee until Hilary started spouting the same nonsense the repubs were saying. Saying President Obama wasn't a citizen and other blatant lies. Then her supporters refused to get behind President Obama once he became the nominee. I also didn't see her trying to get her supporters to get behind him. If Hillary is to become the nominee, this will be the first election since I have been old enough to vote that I will sit out. I gave even seen posters right here that stated they were Hillary supporters but didn't vote for President Obama, time for me to return the favor.

OBAMA 2012!

April 2, 2012 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  5. SuperD

People, these commets make me sick. Hillary we have already seen on the campaign trail, crockodile tears when caught in a lie. There's a reason she didn't get the nomination in 08, and you are so drunk with your Progressive Koolaid that you cannot see it. Let me help you.

AMERICANS ARE SICK OF THE CLINTONS!

April 2, 2012 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  6. Anonymous

NEVER!!!! Our country couldn't take two worthless pieces of dog doo in a row. She has failed as Sec. of State so just let her go back to Arkansas and never be heard from again!!!

April 2, 2012 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  7. peace love happiness

Hillary for President? Yes Please!!!

April 2, 2012 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  8. Four and The Door

Hillary's best opportunity just passed her by. Obama cannot win in November. It's amazing that after the 2010 shellacking and the complete failures of every attempt Obama has made to help the economy or the housing market that they will allow him to lose the 2012 election for them as swell. Actually, I'm okay with that too.

Romney 2012

April 2, 2012 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  9. diridi

Obama2012/Hillary16.
    PS: Bill, we love you and your family....

April 2, 2012 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  10. out of step

Hillary vs Palin? Ohhh I would love to see that. One candidate with a complete understanding of world issues and the other with a complete understanding of gutting a moose.

April 2, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  11. John

GOP are dropping like a rock in the polls and their supporters are running around going crazy........

April 2, 2012 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  12. Citizen

Anonymous
    You might want to add that
    Gingrich, Sen. Ensign, Sen. Bob Packwood, Gov. Sanford are all ready to be canonized.

April 2, 2012 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  13. Yourang

Wow . . . what an opportunity for Mr. Moral Fabric himself, Bill Clinton, to actually get under the Presidential Desk legitimately!

I can't believe people pay money to listen to this Clown;

April 2, 2012 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  14. hillcrester

Another pathetically-misleading headline. What is this, Fox News?

April 2, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. Randy, San Francisco

Hillary in 2016! After years of villification and irrational hatred by the GOP/Tea Party, Hillary's favorable poll numbers are beyond "swift boating."

April 2, 2012 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  16. michael

look the word up ignorant top. oh i forgot according to the top ignorance is bliss just like the old days

April 2, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  17. pearland

Oh what glory days if she were to be President. Talk about getting in there and getting the job done, she would be awesome. Our worldly respect would go back to it's all time highs and our economy would sky rocket. HILLARY 2016!
    This President has felt like a substitute teacher, just filling in until the real one comes back. He it is a lot better than the other offerings at the time.

April 2, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  18. Clouds9

Hillary 2016!!

April 2, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  19. michael

obama is going to win guaranteed. the republicans can cry all they want

April 2, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  20. Man DeLorean

Never been a big Bill Clinton fan, although he is an excellent speaker and I enjoy listening to him. The bimbo stuff always turned me off. That said, Hillary has gradually earned my respect with her performance as a Senator and Secretary of State. She was a solid supporter of our troops while in the Senate, even going against her party at times to do so. And I can't recall even a hint of scandal or controversy in the State Dept. in the past four years. She seems to run a tight ship over there. Bill had best hope that she opts for retirement, because if she were to become President, she would put him on the shortest of short leashes. I doubt there would be any intern issues in a Hillary Clinton administration.

April 2, 2012 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  21. Al-NY,NY

Hillary or Andrew Cuomo in 2016 would slaughter all GOP candidates. Go ahead and nominate the fat slob from NJ or anyone else. Watch what happens

April 2, 2012 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  22. blake

There will be a lot of leftist pundits eatting their words in November when the GOP presidential nominee is elected and the GOP is placed in control of the Senate and the House. The American people do not want a big government, Marxist president and a far left Congress.

April 2, 2012 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  23. Monrob

My Vote and money will be for her.

April 2, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  24. Barry G.

I'd vote for Hillary.

She has better sense than the others in DC, and she has much more integrity.

By the way, I grew up in an extremely conservative home.

April 2, 2012 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  25. Puddin

Hillary has had a taste of being really, personally involved in politics. I don't blame her; I would not want anything more to do with it. I do think she has performed well as Secty of State, however. People may not like Bill for his indescretions, but "it was the economy, stupid." He kept us afloat, had a surplus to send to GWB, and GWB squandered it and worse.

April 2, 2012 10:34 am at 10:34 am |