Hillary Clinton on the sidelines in 2012
April 2nd, 2012

Hillary Clinton on the sidelines in 2012

(CNN) – She proved to be an important ally for President Obama on the campaign trail in 2008, but don’t bet on Secretary of State Hillary Clinton making a return appearance to the stump this time around.

A senior administration official said Monday Clinton would be sitting out the 2012 election, as has been customary for past secretary of states during the campaign season. The position is an apolitical one, the senior administration official explained, and dispatching Clinton on the campaign trail would compromise that.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Hillary Clinton • President Obama
  1. diridi

We want you to consider for 2016. We dearly love you.
    Obama2012/Hillary2016.

April 2, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

Ain't nothing stoppin' Bill.

April 2, 2012 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. Russ

She is truely a GREAT American icon. If she were president I'm sure that she would be remembered as one of the best with Abe Lincoln, JFK and George Washington. WE LOVE YOU HILARY!

April 2, 2012 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  4. MTATL67

Sec. Clinton is one of the most inspiring people in America. She has earned a well deserved rest and the respect of many.

April 2, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. Obama Doubling down on Socialism

She sees the writing on the wall. She doesn't want to be part of the Democrat massacre of 2012. Even Hillary knows the Democrats have swung so far left over the last 4 years that 2012 will see the Democrats fall further into the minority. America doesn't want anymore failed socialist policies.

April 2, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. joshua

How could she in good conscience campaign for a person she doesn't respect or agree with on policy?

April 2, 2012 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. NRC

I am an Independent and I think the Clinton's are great. They are like new age Roosevelts, they are very moderate. Fiscally conservative and socially moderate. It is a rare breed in politics. I will be voting republican this cycle as P Obama is a fiscal train wreck. But I hope I get the opportunity to vote for Hilary in '16. But this year we need to switch it up. I don't trust any President in their second term anymore. You guys can hate me on both sides for voting both parties, but please think about it for a second and ask yourself why you don't?

April 2, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  8. texan

I`m usually leaning Democratic, however, we don`t need Clinton II. George I and II were enough of "family" ruling. Besides, they now have forgotten where they came from..................... Too bad though, I would have voted for her the last election.

April 2, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  9. demwit

I'm sorry for 2008 Hillary. I was such a fool to believe that this nieve failed communbity leader could float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. And its now painfully obvious that his only resemblence to Ali is his rope a dope routine on the campaign trail..

April 2, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  10. Obama Doubling down on Socialism

Democrats were too stupid to nominate Hillary in 2008 and now too stupid to nominate her to run instead of Obama. Obama knew he could neutralize her in 2012 by appointing her to Secretary of State. Unfortunaytely she was dumb enough to fall for it.

April 2, 2012 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  11. Rickster

Good........get her out of there. She's worthless.

April 2, 2012 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  12. Ed1

We don't need another Clinton in the White House how many retirement checks do we have to pay to the Clinton,s now.

April 2, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  13. Sorensen

Hillary Clinton has the brains, style, class, experience, toughness and finesse to do whatever she wants to do.
    Including being the first female President of the United States.
    Poor little old Romney does not have 5% of her talents. Just to mention his name in the same sentence is a sick joke.
    Obama will get reelected and then maybe Hillary decides to do 2016.
    She would be the best ever.

April 2, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |