Mississippi legislature tightens restrictions on abortion providers
April 4th, 2012

Mississippi legislature tightens restrictions on abortion providers

(CNN) - Mississippi lawmakers passed a bill Wednesday that would require any physician performing abortions in the state to be a board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist and to have admitting privileges at an area hospital.

The bill "should effectively close the only abortion clinic in Mississippi," said Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves in a statement. "This is a strong bill that will effectively end abortion in Mississippi." If the state's only abortion facility, Jackson Women's Health Organization, closes, Mississippi women seeking abortions would have to leave the state.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Abortion • Mississippi
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Just keep attacking women's rights you crazy right wingnuts.

April 4, 2012 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  2. Mary

Where are the women in the photo up there? A bunch of men are campaigning about women's reproductive rights?? What's wrong with this picture?

No wonder Republicans are losing us women by double digits to the Democrats.

Stop trying to tell us what to do with our bodies!

April 4, 2012 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  3. cali girl

no wonder the GOP keeps wondering why they are losing the votes in droves. Come November the women will not forget.F

April 4, 2012 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  4. daringenuff

Missippi is one of those states I always wanted to give to the Palestinians.

April 4, 2012 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. GonzoinHouston

What do you expect from a state that is last in education, among the lowest in income, has a high percentage of Christian Taliban and votes solidly republican? Women voters in particular, take note; this is what the GOP is all about. To hell with the supreme court and anything else in their way. You WILL obey fundamentalist Christian dogma.

April 4, 2012 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  6. Thomas

Isn't this an Education issue ? Since Mississippi is rated 47th in education .

Abortions will continue , they will just go underground .

April 4, 2012 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  7. Donkey Party

The war on women rages on. And the GOP has the audacity that this war is "fabricated" by Democrats? The GOP has sunk so low that they believe their own lies.

April 4, 2012 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  8. Tired of republican lies

I guess at this point Mississippi will finally go blue....lmao...These gobptp folks never cease to amaze me...They will lose trying to continue to take away women's rights....SMDH

April 5, 2012 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  9. CBR

This is not a step forward at all. It is an attack against women who may need to end a pregnancy for purely medical reasons. The decision will no longer be made between the woman and her doctor. Instead the State of Mississippi is now in the equation. What is it about women having control over their own health and their own bodies do the legislators in Mississippi not understand.

April 5, 2012 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  10. ThinkAgain

"Personhood" at conception would eliminate in vitro fertilization, without which many couples would not have children. How is that "pro-life"?

April 5, 2012 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  11. C.

My favorite thing about that picture is the utter lack of women in it. And by favorite I mean *facepalm*

April 5, 2012 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  12. madmaninthemiddle

Leaving the State may be a good idea for lots of reasons.

I was arrested once in Mississippi. I was not allowed to make a phone call. I asked the Sherrif, "what about my rights?" and he said (verbatim) "rights? Boy, where do you think you are, this is Mississippi."

April 5, 2012 04:03 am at 4:03 am |
  13. Killdeer

Another show that repulicans could care less about womens health. I'm certain that the first court challenge will find this thrown onto the garbage heap.

April 5, 2012 05:54 am at 5:54 am |
  14. hmabry

At this point, any self-respecting woman who would like her children to receive even a marginally decent education should get the heck out of the sinkhole that is Mississippi.

April 5, 2012 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  15. Another Day in the Idiot Mines

And the GOBP war on women continues.

April 5, 2012 07:09 am at 7:09 am |
  16. SearchingFotAnAtheistExtremist

What year is this? Have I been sucked into some kind of worm hole that has sent me into the past? Should I double check that I still have the right to vote?

April 5, 2012 07:53 am at 7:53 am |