Romney promises to win Pennsylvania in November
April 5th, 2012

Romney promises to win Pennsylvania in November

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (CNN) - Mitt Romney promised Thursday to win Pennsylvania in November, even as he lowered expectations for a victory here in the Republican primary later this month.

"As you know I want to win Pennsylvania in November," Romney said at a small rally held on the roof of a downtown Harrisburg office building. "I'm going to win Pennsylvania in November."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As Romney put it, "the reason that's going to happen, by the way, is that the people of Pennsylvania have taken a good look at conservative leadership. They've seen your senator, Pat Toomey, they've seen your governor, they've seen that conservative leaders are the people who will help grow the middle class."

Toomey, a leading conservative voice in the Senate, has voiced support for Romney's presidential bid, while Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett has remained neutral in the race.

Pennsylvania hasn't voted Republican in a presidential election since 1988, but he expressed confidence that he could pick up the state's 20 electoral votes this fall.

"The people of Pennsylvania, on Nov. 6, I believe will vote for me and give me the support I need to become the next president of the United States," he said.

During a visit to a campaign phone bank before the speech, Romney called the state "critical" to his White House chances.

As for the more pressing matter – the April 24 Republican primary showdown against Rick Santorum – Romney was careful not to overstate his chances.

Clearly lowering expectations even though polls show him gaining on Santorum in the former senator's home state Romney said "everybody expects someone to win their home state."

"Newt Gingrich won his state, I won my state, I think people expect the senator to win his home state," he said. "But I'll pick up a lot of delegates, and we have several other states with contests the same day - I hope to win all of those, and if I can win the others and pick up some delegates here, it will give me an even stronger lead."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Pennsylvania
  1. Charlie from the North

You may win but only if the conservatives forget who you were and moderates and independents forget who you are. I am holding out hope that Americans are smarter than that but I have overestimated the intelligence of the American voter more than once so I am not guaranteeing anything

April 5, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  2. jm

We women will never let that happen, no we will never forget who is on our side, and it's not you Mr.Romey and our party.

April 5, 2012 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  3. Roger

Oh Mitt, I'm sure you're a good man at heart, but this country needs President Obama and a democratic congress to finish what he has tried to start. The Tea Party has almost taken this country to ruin and the republican party of my parents is no longer identifiable. Regroup and reorient, stop all this nonsense and perhaps by 2016, the republican party will once again have some validity, but until then, I will continue to vote democratic.

April 5, 2012 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. SERIOUS???

@Roger....So let me get this straight, you want Obama and the democratic congress to finish DESTROYING this county so we end up like Greece instead of voting these worthless piles out of office so we can get back on track??? Sounds like really good logic......WOW!

April 5, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  5. The Real Tom Paine

Better hope they have amnesia, Mitt.

April 5, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. SERIOUS???

@Mikey....are you serious? Have you forgot that Obama has increase the dept the same amount GWB did but in 3 YEARS vs 8?????? At this rate we will be in the same place as Greece VERY SOON!

April 5, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  7. rosaadriana

LOL good luck with that Mr Corporations are People.

April 5, 2012 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. Same

Hey Larry L.....same to you and all the Dems on this site! All I read is GOP are liars blah blah blah but NOTHING concrete to PROVE it!!!! I am indepentent and am trying to decide who to vote for but BOTH side do this!!! Good thing I can do my own research to see what Obama has done, oh sorry HASN'T done to help me with my decision! Maybe is H. Clinton was running I would vote Democrat but sorry to say, Obama is worthless. His big bill as presedent is about to get shot down as unconsitutional and he has done nothing else! By the way don't give me the crap about him improving the economy, pick up an economics book and you will see that the Open Market improves itself! If you are going to claim he has give me an example of a bill he passed that helped!

April 5, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. Glenn Doty

Pennsylvania has not voted for the republican nominee in over 20 years.

In 2008, President Obama crushed national war hero Senator John McCain by 11 points in Pennsylvania. I guess Willard thinks he's just SUPER SPECIAL compared to a lightweight like John McCain.

In the 2008 campaign, then Senator Obama had a tough time in Appalachia. We can speculate as to why, but Western Pennsylvania was more closed to Senator Obama than even the SouthEast... yet he STILL crushed John McCain in the general election in Pennsylvania overall.

Now Willard is running, and Appalachia is proving nearly as problematic for him as it was for President Obama. So we can and should assume Western Pennsylvania should be quite a bit closer this time than last time...

That said, what exactly does Willard have going for him that would lead us to suspect he'll shift Philadelphia and Eastern PA by ~20 points this cycle?

Pennsylvania is not a swing state – unless you count swinging from a crushing democratic victory to a narrow democratic victory

April 5, 2012 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Same

by the way I am majoring in Economics!

April 5, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Someone should tell Willard that . . .

pigs don't fly, water does not flow uphill and PA is not in play . . .

April 5, 2012 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  12. rdw

@Serious

No are you serious? With comments like "will end up like Greece" you lost all credibility and you are a joke, so stop with the BS.

April 5, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Tak

@serious....are you serious? Have you forgotten that Bush happened to leave two unfunded wars off the books that Obama put back on the books as soon as he took office. Try again!!!!

April 5, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

SERIOUS???
    ===================================================================================================
    Based upon all the budgets that Obama has submitted that is indeed his plan. And when Obamacare costs and increased interest costs on the debt hit, we'll be over the cillf and into the financial abyss. Obama and Democrats plan is for the American people to flap their arms until they hit the ground. (then blame it on others).

April 5, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. Natalie

@Serious: Did you forgot who really ran up the debt? How were those two Bush wars to be funded in the first place or was that just something we're suppose to forget about? And, "temporary" tax breaks for the wealthy when we can't afford it especially when their taxes have been the lowest in decades? Don't give us the "you can't tax the job creators" BS; just want them to pay their fair share and not dump it all on the middle class. And, remember when we were losing 750,000 jobs per month before Obama even took office as so many have pointed out before? Turn off Fox Noise for a change, the talking points are tired ones.

April 5, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

"Better hope they have amnesia, Mitt."

Best Mittens commentary today. Romney's "Vision for America" hasn't gotten beyond his Etch A Sketch scribbles, making one wonder how on earth he (or anyone else) thinks he'll ever have a chance of winning the general...

April 5, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. The Real Tom Paine

@ SERIOUS???, you seem to have forgotten that the bulk of the debt Obama has been saddled with has gone down each year he has been office. As for your analogy with Greece, has our economy at any point in our history been comparable with Greece? Virtually any one of our states ( with the exception of the lazy Southern Red States and Alaska) can generate more GDP than Greece. Your analogies show an absence of facts, logic, and common sense: otherwise, they are fine. As for the worthless piles you mention, need I remind you the House GOP members are viewed far more negatively than the Senate Democrats: do you think the GOP House has broken 10% approval ratings this week?

April 5, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. Wake up people

Come November even the conservatives will vote for him, they may not like Mittens, but they hate the color of President Obama's skin. And since the goal of the rethuglicans is to make our POTUS a one term President, they will vote for Mittens, after all, he has the one qualification they are looking for, white skin. It's hard to believe this is 2012 and not 1865.

OBAMA 2012! Seriously people!

April 5, 2012 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

The main problem is Democrats and liberals don't understand basic financial principles. They love to scream about debt others ran up (like wars they voted for but try to forget they voted for) in the past to justify Obama's insane run up of debt. The problem is the first 1-5 trillion in debt the country could afford. The next 5-10 trillion in debt was pushing the limit of being close to our annual GDP. But now Obama is projected to add another 10 trillion of debt to push us into bankruptcy.

In other words, Obama is pushing the country FAR OVER its credit limit with total disregard for the consquences. Look to Greece for the consequences. Democrats simply refuse to acknowledge the irreparable damage their fiscally irresponsible actions are doing to this country.

April 5, 2012 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  20. Herne

I'm a Pennsylvanian. NO Republican Conservative has a chance

April 5, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  21. Claudia, Phoenix, AZ

Romney can predict what he wants to predict but has he seen the palm readers prediction.

April 5, 2012 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  22. The Real Tom Paine

I just got robocalled at work by Mitt Romney: for someone who made a living being a salesman, he broke the basic rules of presentation, by dumping a laundry list of grievences and objections onto a prospect. Its funny that he seems to think he can scare people into voting for people by painting this apocolyptic scenario, and it will somehow persuade me to vote for him. I hung up after 5 minutes of his non-stop rambling. The sad thing is that my employer will pay for his call, since it was on a toll-free hotline. So much for his admiration for the private sector. Utter garbage, and my boss has to pay for it.

April 5, 2012 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. Rudy NYC

Truth wrote:

-------------------–
    And if John McCain had won in 2008, then we would still be running up annual trillion dollar deficits, if not larger because of tax cuts for the job creators.

April 5, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  24. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

The Real Tom Paine - Utter garbage, and my boss has to pay for it.
    ======================================================
    Interesting such concern for your bosses expenses to take a phone call while you post in here all day! BWAHAHAHA!!!

April 5, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  25. Four and The Door

Wake up people
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Give it a rest. Look at the results of his first term. Increased unemployment, runaway ( downgraded ) national debt and a more expensive government every day and full steam ahead on the same strategy that just failed. This is why he will be a one term President. These things are what matter to the American voter.

April 5, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |