Romney promises to win Pennsylvania in November
April 5th, 2012

Romney promises to win Pennsylvania in November

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (CNN) - Mitt Romney promised Thursday to win Pennsylvania in November, even as he lowered expectations for a victory here in the Republican primary later this month.

"As you know I want to win Pennsylvania in November," Romney said at a small rally held on the roof of a downtown Harrisburg office building. "I'm going to win Pennsylvania in November."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

As Romney put it, "the reason that's going to happen, by the way, is that the people of Pennsylvania have taken a good look at conservative leadership. They've seen your senator, Pat Toomey, they've seen your governor, they've seen that conservative leaders are the people who will help grow the middle class."

Toomey, a leading conservative voice in the Senate, has voiced support for Romney's presidential bid, while Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett has remained neutral in the race.

Pennsylvania hasn't voted Republican in a presidential election since 1988, but he expressed confidence that he could pick up the state's 20 electoral votes this fall.

"The people of Pennsylvania, on Nov. 6, I believe will vote for me and give me the support I need to become the next president of the United States," he said.

During a visit to a campaign phone bank before the speech, Romney called the state "critical" to his White House chances.

As for the more pressing matter – the April 24 Republican primary showdown against Rick Santorum – Romney was careful not to overstate his chances.

Clearly lowering expectations even though polls show him gaining on Santorum in the former senator's home state Romney said "everybody expects someone to win their home state."

"Newt Gingrich won his state, I won my state, I think people expect the senator to win his home state," he said. "But I'll pick up a lot of delegates, and we have several other states with contests the same day - I hope to win all of those, and if I can win the others and pick up some delegates here, it will give me an even stronger lead."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • Pennsylvania
  1. Jill-IN

I'm a woman and have been voting for 40 years. Mitt Romney will never get my vote.

April 5, 2012 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  2. richardhurtz

I am a life long PA resident and can assure you that Romney will lose PA by double digits. He will get crushed in Philadelphia and the surrounding burbs with is where the vast majority of the population lives. Romney is going to lose in November worse than McCain did. Just wait until all the crazy Mormon stuff comes to light. He has NO CHANCE!

April 5, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  3. Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Rudy NYC - And if John McCain had won in 2008, then we would still be running up annual trillion dollar deficits, if not larger because of tax cuts for the job creators.
    ===================================================================================================
    Hmmm... Throwing out irrelevant hypotheticals with no basis in reality to counter real facts. Tired of using the irrelevant distant past huh? Now it's the imaginery you wish to use. Egads, if this isn't the definition of pathetic! Come on Rudy! You're much better at making things up than this!! Your game is really on the down swing my friend....

April 5, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  4. richardhurtz

No chance. Romney loses PA by double digits. In fact, once all the crazy Mormon stuff starts to come to light, he is going to lose the general election worse than McCain did (and McCain took quite a beating).

Face facts. FOUR MORE YEARS!

April 5, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. kevin illinois

can you imagine that alskan hillbilly in the white house. my greatest fear last election was mccain winning and some morning waking up to hear "vice president palin has taken the oath of office"

April 5, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. Lynn

Women in PA aren't ready to hug him or anybody else in the GOP, but Admiral Ann can always give him a hug and her vote.

April 5, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. Barry G.

Here's a prediction: Romney will win the Republican candidacy, and Obama will win in November.

And that’s coming from one who was reared in a rather conservative home.

April 5, 2012 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. Jim Hahn

Until Romney gives ordinary people a reason to vote for him, Pennsylvania will vote democratic. We've been through Bush, we've been through an obstructionist Republican Congress, we've been through the my way or the highway attitude of the Republican party and its leadership and we're not buying it.

If Romney wins, this country will be based on the Golden Rule. Not that Golden Rule, but the one that says "Them with the Gold make the Rules".

April 5, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  9. REPUBLICAN ARE THE GREATEST

Mitt Romney will win most of the staes and win BIG in November. This is a no-brainer. Obama has been a disaster.

April 5, 2012 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  10. peacedog

mark my word, if this guy gets in the white house, every working man and woman will take one on the chin. i have never seen anyone so out of touch. i want to see his birth certificate.

April 5, 2012 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  11. ObamaLosesPA

I voted for Obama in 2008 along with a bunch of my friends. Not going to happen this year. We collectively will be going for Romney, wish we had a better choice but anyone is better than this mistake. I wholeheartedly bought into his Hope and Change and was sadly disappointed with what I voted for.

April 5, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

Four and The Door wrote:

Give it a rest. Look at the results of his first term. Increased unemployment, runaway ( downgraded ) national debt and a more expensive government every day and full steam ahead on the same strategy that just failed. This is why he will be a one term President. These things are what matter to the American voter.
    -----------------
    Why don't you give it a rest. Unemployment is down two percentage points from the Great Recession peak, which Republican policies caused. Curious how we were never downgraded until the Tea Party took over the House and started bragging about how we don't need to pay our bills.

Finally, if McCain had won in 2008, we would still be looking at the same type of annual deficits. We have large deficits because of a revenue problem, not because of a spending problem.

April 5, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. htaagency

I am a conservative Republican with a wife and car and home. I am the son of an accountant and a seminary teacher. I am attending law school. I am pleased to stand with Mitt Romney. He protects the rights of men and women with his political and personal beliefs.

April 5, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  14. The Real Tom Paine

When I'm not getting robocalls from Romney, I'm busy making money in the economy Obama has rebuilt. Yes, truth, I can multitask, and get wealthier by the minute doing it.

April 5, 2012 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  15. Jo

The choice is ours...either we truly believe in ourselves, our freedom to pursue dreams, to work and achieve goals, to reign in our spending, leave a great America to our children and take the steps up the ladder by going Mitt's way or just laying down like stupid sheep and taking handouts, just stand by and watch our national debt skyrocket, leave crippling debt to our kids and grandkids by sticking with the Community Organizer who doesn't know how to balance his own checkbook but is Real Good at Depleting Your Wallet... Time to decided WHO YOU ARE and WHAT YOUR FUTURE IS GOING TO BE!

April 5, 2012 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  16. thomas

Mitt Romney promised Thursday to win Pennsylvania in November !

With five sons who avoided military service , I think not !

You can buy off some of the people some of the time , But you can't buy off all the people all the time !

April 5, 2012 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  17. Brian, San Diego

Yet another promise he has no hope of keeping. The so-called experts need to stop pretending PA is a swing state; it's been blue since Reagan and this isn't the year to change that.

April 5, 2012 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. T & T

Romney has changed his mind too many times. My main issue is pro-life. He says he is pro-life, but then he said he was pro choice before that. My next issue is jobs and the economy. He says he is for creating jobs, but then closed many businesses down after making hugh profits. He says he does not worry about the poor, that their issues will be taken of by the system?? What the hell is that?

April 5, 2012 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  19. Romney is not My Hero

@peacedog – Sorry, you can't see Mr. Car Elevator's birth certificate. They don't give them out on Planet Kolob. *Peace

OBAMA 2012!

April 5, 2012 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. Save Us Jeebus

Okay, so I can't win now, but I promise, promise, promise I can win in six months! (Dream on, Mitt. Obama's landslide has already started.)

April 5, 2012 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  21. Another Day in the Idiot Mines

Rudy NYC – And if John McCain had won in 2008, then we would still be running up annual trillion dollar deficits, if not larger because of tax cuts for the job creators.

Ladies and gentlemen, look above to see a near-perfect example of the defective extreme rightwing brain, or at least what passes for a marginal center of neuronal activity. Mr. Lies and Nothing But chastises someone for referencing events 4 years ago, claiming it is "irrelevant distant past". Compare that to a regular sane person who, if asked to describe an irrelevant distant past might mention some old civilization in S. America, Asia or Africa, perhaps Toltecs, Etruscians or Minoans. Yet here our resident hatemonkey, liar and propagandist pretends it is US who should be ridiculed for considering four years ago, and indeed the last ten or so years, to be very recent history. Such history continues to have a real impact today. The GOBP cannot win except by erasing that history. And that is just what Lies and Nothing But is trying to do. EPIC FAIL.

April 5, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  22. This_blank

Keep dreaming romney STEELERS fans hate republicans

April 5, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  23. kayla

president obama all the way
    2012

April 5, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. Mark

When the Republicans signed the Norquist " no tax increase" pledge they were bought because signing the pledge comes with strings. If an elected senator or congressman violates the pledge, even though he thinks it is in the best interest of the people, Norquist and company will fund campaigns to throw that person out of office.The pledge places duress on the signer preventing him or her from doing their job because it is in direct conflict with their oath of office which is to "well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office. If you've already made up your mind and your job is threatened if you violate the pledge, you don't listen to the arguments, look for common ground, negotiate, and legislate which are the duties of your office. Republicans are the problem and the pledge is wrong. The evidence is that Republicans vote as a block, not of as individuals. Believe what people do, not what they say. What they're doing gives them away.

April 5, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  25. JJ

OooO! The loozer who lost to the loozer who got buried under a 6 ft pile of votes by Obama has begun mouthing off! LOL!

April 5, 2012 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |