Santorum's daughter, Bella, hospitalized again
April 6th, 2012

Santorum's daughter, Bella, hospitalized again

(CNN) – Rick Santorum's three-year-old daughter Isabella, who suffers from a chromosomal condition called Trisomy 18, is back in the hospital, his spokesman Hogan Gidley announced Friday.

"Rick and his wife Karen have taken their daughter Bella to the hospital," Gidley said in a statement. "The family requests prayers and privacy as Bella works her way to recovery."

Update: Santorum to resume campaigning Tuesday after daughter's hospitalization

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Better known as "Bella," Santorum's daughter was hospitalized with pneumonia in January, prompting the candidate to cancel campaign events shortly before Florida's Republican primary.

Trisomy 18 is caused by extra material from chromosome 18, and is three times more common in girls than boys. Half of patients born with the condition do not survive past the first week of life, according to the National Institutes of Health. Patients who do survive past the first week experience serious medical and developmental problems.

Also see:

Romney promises to win Pennsylvania in November

Santorum's private meetings focused on his way forward

Santorum, Perry privately met in Texas

Obama team hits Romney over financial disclosures

Filed under: 2012 • Rick Santorum
  1. PJ/TX

Prayers for sure for darling little Bella and her family.

April 6, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  2. cali girl

Gods speed little Isabella and the to family in this hard time.

April 6, 2012 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. ST

It is sad to see this young one is suffering every now and then. She never enjoys like other of her siblings who are most of the time with parents on trail. She always watch them on TV and understands what is going on. May god give her strength to overcome her sickness. We love you Bella! Keep it up!

April 6, 2012 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  4. rob

The authorities should look into the case of Santorum's daughter very closely. I wouldn't put it past that bigoted psychopath to harm his daughter to try to gain sympathy.

April 6, 2012 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  5. TSM

What a beautiful little girl. I love the photo that goes with this story. You can see so much love in both their faces. Heartfelt positive thoughts to the Santorum family/

April 6, 2012 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  6. Wishnik

Mr. Santorum is lucky he can afford her medical care. In his situation, I could not take my daughter to the hospital. She would die. Oh well.

April 6, 2012 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  7. Punisher2000

No parent, regardless of ideology deserves to be in a situation like this. Children are supposed to bury their parents, not the other way around.

April 6, 2012 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  8. madvaca

I hope for the health of your daughter Mr. Santorum. I also hope one day all Americans can enjoy the necessary health care Isabella has available.

April 6, 2012 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  9. thermion7

Good thoughts and well wishes from the Northwest.

April 6, 2012 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. nicoly

Not a Santorum fan and don't agree with his politics or religious beliefs, but that's beside the point. Hope the little girl has a speedy recovery and hope she can go home soon.

April 6, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  11. Romney voter w/a heart

I pray she gets well soon if it is God's will, but that if this is the time He wants her back, that she goes peacefully. I also pray for the family to be comforted in this difficult time whatever the outcome.

April 6, 2012 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. serdich

one prayer coming up..well done ok ? Trisomy 18 is called Edwards syndrome and is a result of lack of perinatal screening.

April 6, 2012 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  13. Marti58

Let's hope the Santorum family has an insurance company that actually covers the patient's medical and other needs.

April 6, 2012 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  14. 4frumAfrica

May God be with you and your family at the critical moment. Kids are precious. Bella, you will be fine. African love.

April 6, 2012 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. Romarti

I am not a supporter of Santorum but I'd like to think we can all keep politics out of this discussion. Either wish the child and/or family well or keep quiet!

April 6, 2012 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  16. TheMovieFan

I do not care for Rick Santorum but family members should be out of bounds.

I hope all is well soon with Isabella and wish Sen. Santorum & his family the best.

April 6, 2012 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  17. Recovering Republican

Our prayers are with Bella.

April 6, 2012 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  18. serdich

sorry to disappoint the religious one here but Edwards syndrome is bad...most kids die during the first week the rest grow to develop severe problems..metal and physical. to me in 21c with all prenatal screenings and 3D echo.. this is true crime.

April 6, 2012 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. TimThorp

Hope the little girl gets well again. We will think of her.

April 6, 2012 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  20. Marie

Horrible condition that is detectable during prenatal work-up. This child has already spent countless hours in hospitals undergoing treatment, suffers from many ailments and will more than likely die before she sees the age of 10...Most of her life will be spent in some sort of pain or discomfort...Nice work Santorum...You're pro-life ignorance is shining through. This little girl could have gone to heaven while still in the womb and not suffered a single day...But, I guess YOUR needs were more important.

April 6, 2012 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  21. Lejaune

She is on government paid health plan that Santorium doesn't want average families to have.

April 6, 2012 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  22. gremlinus

Wishing her well.

April 6, 2012 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. Taran

My thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

April 6, 2012 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  24. Terri

I wouldn't vote for Santorum for president, but I give him kudos for being a good dad. Bella is a very cute little girl. I hope she beats the odds. My prayers are with her

April 6, 2012 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  25. Marry

Dear friends, I am so glad you are all praying for Bella – I am sure, it will make her more comfortable! I for my part rather thank the President for the ACA since he would like us all to have health care we can buy and afford. I am with all the many parents that cannot help their children when they are sick! As for Santorum – how can he preach that health care for all is “bad”? Well, he got his – you try to get yours! How shameful of him!!!!

April 6, 2012 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |