Grassley calls Obama 'stupid' on Twitter
April 9th, 2012

Grassley calls Obama 'stupid' on Twitter

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, who has long been an outspoken critic of President Barack Obama, used scathing language in a tweet Saturday to condemn the president's remarks about the Supreme Court last week.

"Constituents askd why i am not outraged at PresO attack on supreme court independence. Bcause Am ppl r not stupid as this x prof of con law," Grassley wrote, using typical shorthand for the social networking website.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Responding to the message, Obama campaign senior strategist David Axelrod, himself a prolific tweeter who often engages critics of the president, blasted the Iowa senator.

"Heads up, Sen. Grassley. I think a 6-year-old hijacked your account and is sending out foolish Tweets just to embarrass you!" Axelrod wrote.

Obama last Monday was asked about measures his administration was taking in the event the United States Supreme Court determines his health care law is unconstitutional. The high court heard oral arguments on the law in late March. Obama said such a decision would be "unprecedented."

"I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," the president said.

Filed under: Chuck Grassley • David Axelrod • President Obama
  1. SlowGun

Wow, calling the President stupid. How much you want to bet he claims to be a Christain?

April 9, 2012 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  2. MMMM

I'll bet President Obama at least knows how to type, Senator Chuck Grassley. Or should I say, "sn. chuuk grasly."

April 9, 2012 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. Founders1791

STOP THE HYPOCRISY LIBERALS DEMOCRATS – look in the mirror
    --------------------

March 23, 2012 – President Obama INSULTED all woman by saying this, “...The reason I called Ms. Fluke is because I thought about Malia and Sasha...". Surely Obama didn't '..think..' about Bill Maher & David Letterman's vulgar attacks at a mother and her children, Sarah Palin, when he said this, right?

November 8, 2011 – President Obama INSULTED Prime Minister Netanyahu of Israel and said this, "...You’re fed up with him, but I have to deal with him even more often than you...”

April 14, 2011 – President Obama INSULTED Republican Congressman Paul Ryan and called him, "...Un-American..."

July 23, 2009 – President Obama INSULTED Police Officer Crowley in Massachusetts, "...they acted stupidly..."

President Obama has DOZENS OF EXAMPLES of these crass, low class, Chicago style INSULTS to nearly all Americans and World Leaders he doesn't agree with at any particular point in time.

April 9, 2012 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. Alan

Remember, Senator Grassley is one of the many conservatives who supported the individual mandate for health insurance before he came out so strongly against it. Maybe stupid is changing a political position simply for the purpose of obstructing the president or for the purpose of trying to score cheap political points. Maybe, we're the ones who ought to be outraged by Senator Grassley's inconsistency and his unwillingness to tackle a problem affecting tens of miliions of Americans.

April 9, 2012 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. steve

When are our public officials going to learn that a conservative can't resort to name-calling (libs can do whatever they please)....

April 9, 2012 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. Phearis

GOP Motto: If we can't debate them with truth and facts .... resort to childish name calling.

April 9, 2012 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. mb2010a

Grassley is the classic case of a career politician who needs to be voted out of office. Sadly, he is not up for re-election for another 4 years. I think we all know who is the "stupid" one is here...and it isn't Obama.

April 9, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. Genius

Yes, of course..it's the stupid ones who teach at Harvard and get Nobel Peace prizes....that makes perfect sense.

April 9, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  9. James

What Grassley said has a point, yet he should of used a different media. It is true that Obama supporters are brain washed. If any other former President would of kept us in recession, kept unemployment high, more than doubled the price of gas, spent $2B to renovate the U.N. Bldg after the U.N. offered to help pay for some of it and gave $1.5B to the Muslim Brotherhood (a known Muslim group with ties to terrorist groups, including Bin Laden) without Congress approval or knowledge, that President would of been hung out to dry by all of Obama's supporters. On top of that, let's not forget that Obama puts us in over $1T in debt every year that he is President and that ObamaCare is actually more than double than what Obama himself had stated that it will cost. And that is just a lowball estimate by the CBO. So like usual, Obama will blame President Bush for everything. But just wait for it, Obama is going to start blaming President Washington and the other founders of our great nation for all of his problems. Now we all are entitled to our own opinion, the only thing that I ask is that we all look at the facts and see the what is true and what is false. And for all of the Obama supporters, ask yourself what Obama really has done for our Country? Look at what he has said in his Presidential Debates and look at what he delivered. And look at all of the facts that I have pointed out and do your own research. And just to let you know, I voted for this joker. It is the worst vote that I have ever cast.

April 9, 2012 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  10. GOP hate america

ahhhh just takes me back to those kindergarten days

April 9, 2012 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. Former Republican, now an Independent

These fanatical neo-cons feel that anyone that doesn't buy into their extreme views are stupid. They are definitely the American version of the Taliban, and feel their views are the only ones that should be published or broadcast.

April 9, 2012 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. tor5

How disappointing. I thought Grassley was a more reasonable old-school type R. But even he has to stoop to silly name-calling to appease his base. Friendly advice to Republicans: All these angry, over-the-top attacks on the pres. are wearing thin.

April 9, 2012 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  13. alleygator

Grassley has been in Washington DC for over half a century. He's just another delusional right-wing Republican, drunk with power.

April 9, 2012 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  14. bestthumper

Well I have to admit when Obama made the comments I had to go back and check my 7th grade civics book on the checks and balances system, I thought maybe I missed something but nope I didn't. What would I know I am just an old truck driver, maybe they changed the book. After all Obama is a constitutional law professor, wonder how he missed that section? Maybe he wasn't there? I wonder how often the Dem's called Bush stupid? I know I did more than once, but between the 57 states and the SCOTUS statement I have to say I call that stupid. Of course looking at it realisticly all of D.C. seems pretty stupid.

April 9, 2012 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  15. normajean @ verizon ,com

The really pathetic part of this whole discussion is that a grown man can have so little dignity and still be a politician. What qualifies him to call anyone names??? I'm sure if they were juvenile enough, the people around him would like to call him a few names!!! The worst thing about this is that the people with limited intellegence have so little respect for the office of president no matter who might be in office!!!

April 9, 2012 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  16. FunkyMonkey7

Well isn't this the pot calling the kettle black. Everyone used to call George W. Bush stupid, and nobody had a problem with it then. He might have been in the lower IQ quartile among presidents, but tests show he still had an IQ within the 95th percentile of the United States, which is far from stupid. Calling presidents stupid is the unfortunate level that our entire country has degraded to, both parties included.

April 9, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Brian

Hasnt Obama used this same language as well about people in the nation?

April 9, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  18. Highly_Amused

Flounders1791 – I certainly WISH the GOP would stop the hypocracy! But as we both know, without complete hipocracy, the GOP would have NO platform at all would they? They should rename the GOP "The OLD rich whiners who want to have their cake and eat it too"...

April 9, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  19. WhereIsPalin

That's not a great way to get things accomplished, Senator Grassley.

April 9, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  20. Lee

Every thought that comes into our heads does not need to come out of our mouths.

April 9, 2012 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  21. FunkyMonkey7

@dnick47 You do know that claiming George W. Bush and cohorts stole the 2000 election is a logical fallacy because it's tantamount to a conspiracy claim. Any attempts made to prove that the courts acted without such interest are going to be refuted as being part of the conspiracy, thus making your argument an erroneous instant-win. The important thing is that despite coming to office questionably, the people still re-elected him in 2004, demonstrating that the public either overlooked the shadiness or didn't care.

April 9, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  22. Jim in PA

Grassley then went on to display his brilliance by questioning whether evolution is real and whether the 2008 economic collapse was caused by poor black people.

April 9, 2012 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  23. EY

My previous comment has now been buried, but I believe it is worthy of sharing. First and foremost, whether you agree with the President's political views or not, HE IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. I am sick of people in "power" i.e. other politicians thinking that it okay or even close to ACCEPTABLE to shake their fingers in his face, interrupt his State of the Union address with name-calling and the like. IT ISN'T ACCEPTABLE. Let me say it again, THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WILL NOT TOLERATE SUCH BEHAVIOR! Sadly, never in American history has a President been treated with such DISRESPECT. It is pretty easy to see what is different about this President, compared to all former American Presidents...oh yeah, he's black. Say what you will, but the record of behavior speaks for itself. GW was mocked by nighttime TV, but was never DISRESPECTED in the way Obama has been by his fellow collegues (and I use that term loosely). Signed, A WHITE AMERICAN WHO RESPECTS WHOMEVER IS THE PRESIDENT, REGARDLESS OF RACE AND PARTY.

April 9, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  24. DonB

To me is a little cowardly to be using acronyms instead of real words. Did this man think no one would know what he is saying? Now who is STUPID? Another thing I fewel the court deserves to be reprimanded when it appears they are making decisions based on political beliefs.

April 9, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  25. Rita

At least we can still laugh out loud over Sarah's credibility, but neither she nor Grassley graduated summa cum laude from Harvard like Obama. Cannot wait for another Tina Fey impersonation, so the republicans can squirm once again at the mere thought of her as president.

April 9, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |