Grassley calls Obama 'stupid' on Twitter
April 9th, 2012

Grassley calls Obama 'stupid' on Twitter

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, who has long been an outspoken critic of President Barack Obama, used scathing language in a tweet Saturday to condemn the president's remarks about the Supreme Court last week.

"Constituents askd why i am not outraged at PresO attack on supreme court independence. Bcause Am ppl r not stupid as this x prof of con law," Grassley wrote, using typical shorthand for the social networking website.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Responding to the message, Obama campaign senior strategist David Axelrod, himself a prolific tweeter who often engages critics of the president, blasted the Iowa senator.

"Heads up, Sen. Grassley. I think a 6-year-old hijacked your account and is sending out foolish Tweets just to embarrass you!" Axelrod wrote.

Obama last Monday was asked about measures his administration was taking in the event the United States Supreme Court determines his health care law is unconstitutional. The high court heard oral arguments on the law in late March. Obama said such a decision would be "unprecedented."

"I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," the president said.

Filed under: Chuck Grassley • David Axelrod • President Obama
  1. ed perreault

I"m glad there are other people who question his intellegence, as I do. I really don"t think he is that bright. I wonder if there are different standards for entering Harvard or other elite Schools?

April 9, 2012 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. jon

Some people still cannot believe that we have elected a black President. What a country!

April 9, 2012 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  3. caeser

The definition of stupid can be summed up in three letters,G.O.P.

April 9, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  4. WachetAuf

The really interesting thing about all political and religious conversations is that no one of us is in the business of persuading anyone else. It is almost impossible because most of us have no more ability to reason through to an objective conclusion than a trained monkey. I find myself being reminded of my own faulty reasoning all too often. Of course, those moments when I find myself far out on that awkward proverbial limb, I must congratulate myself for having allowed myself to become aware of my faulty or mistaken reasoning. There are some of us who never reach that kind of awareness, or at least acknowledge it. And, who is to say that I always discover my own blind spots, those planks in my eye. It takes a little help from my friends, even my enemies, for whom I am grateful. If I have neither friends nor enemies who will provide me needed feedback, I will end up conversing only with myself. That benefits no one, not even me. I do hope someone reads and understands this. LOL.

April 9, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  5. Anonymous

Jeez, AesopsRetreat, a little bitter about something? Your posting is so ridiculous, it's actually humorous. Now that the President's birth certificate has been recognized as legitimate ( which all intelligent people knew was the case from the beginning) republicans are now going to claim that his college degrees are bogus? Just priceless. And oh yeah, btw, Grassley is a fool who nobody listens to anyway.

April 9, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  6. Larry L

@AesopsRetreat.com

"STILL the Left believes this imbicile was a Professor of Law. Even as he refuses to show his college credentials, or "anything" to do with any school he attended. Are you ever sure he went to school at all?"
    ---------------------------------------------–
    Do you really believe the things you're saying? Do you believe this great conspiracy was created to "insert" the President's existance into the records of the Harvard School of Law? I suppose they would have also created hundreds of people who shared their experiences with him and photo-shopped the photos and films so cleverly the Republicans were unable detect the ruse. Another possibility is you are simply another "birther" who could never accept the fact that talented, wise and extremely well-educated African American is President of the United States. Get out your own records and see how you match up...

April 9, 2012 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  7. Saboth

Republicans make me sick with their disrespect of the president. George W. Bush was one of the most inept presidents we've had in our long history as a country, and I disagreed with him on just about every single decision or policy he had, but I still had respect for our president.

April 9, 2012 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  8. Gunny

@steeler – I for one was no fan of Bush,and I find it a bit difficult to think you get to be president by being dumb. But if I had to go by statements that these two men have made, Bush would be at a disadvantage. Like him or not, he was the president and deserved respect. This president deserves no less.

April 9, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. leukevent

Grassely's the twit--He's taking Obama's statement out of context!

April 9, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  10. Suman

Chuck Foolish Grassley thinks people will forget his insult by the time his turn comes next in 2017 for re-election. Don't worry old fool! We will remember and chuck you out, if you are alive till then.

April 9, 2012 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  11. tstorm92

The Republican party is becoming so disrespectful of our government that they will soon be classified as a home grown terrorist group. If conservatives hate our government so much then LEAVE! Move to Somalia.

April 9, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. Another Day in the Idiot Mines (not the whiny rightwing liar)

"...the EVIDENCE tells us this true."

And yet you never share your evidence, Flounder. Why is that? Could it be because ya got nothing?

April 9, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. leukevent

Grassley's the hypocritical 'twit'---misrepresenting Obama's statement!

April 9, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  14. Man DeLorean

Axelrod's reply was perfect. Good job!

April 9, 2012 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  15. Joshua Ludd

Imagine for just one second if any Democratic politician had dared utter such a thing about Bush.

April 9, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  16. Namejkane fl live from teapublican moon base no taxes, no regulation no health care, free gas.

When your a hick, I guess your always be a hick grasley you moron!!!

April 9, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  17. Founders1791

TWO DEMOCRAT LAWMAKERS – actually wanted Sarah Palin to die!
    ---------------------------–

DEMOCRAT.New Hampshire.(Keith Halloran) said on a Facebook thread that he wished Palin had been aboard the Alaska plane that crashed, killing five including Sen. Ted Stevens;

DEMOCRAT.New Hampshire.(Timothy Horrigan) resigned from the state legislature after writing this gem on Facebook: "Well a dead Palin wd be even more dangerous than a live one...she is all about her myth & if she was dead she cldn't commit any more gaffes";

How's THAT for hypocrisy, INSULTS, and hate?

April 9, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. Don Jones

Grassley- an empty cab pulls up and Grassley gets out.

April 9, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  19. buck cameron

Well, Grassley certainly knows a thing or two about stupid.

April 9, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  20. Georgia Tee

Some people will NEVER learn, their minds are like a steel trap, full of stupid...The GOP will never understand that they don't live on this planet alone.. When you disrepect the POTUS, you are showing contempt for yourself...You don't have the control over all things anymore. The world is changing, you are running out of choices..

April 9, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  21. eyedoc

I have a hard time taking someone seriously who can't spell out their words. Call me old fashioned, but what happened to the good old days when people used correct grammar and spelling. Not only did it take me a few seconds to decipher what he was saying, but his reasoning reminds me of school yard logic. If no reasonable defense comes to mind, finish it by calling someone names. I admit I am not twitterpated and up to date with the texting/twitter abbreviations, yet I find this use of language similar to the text messages a thirteen year old girl would send to a boy she likes....lol, smiley face,

April 9, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  22. Scott O' Canada

AesopsRetreat.com

And yet, STILL the Left believes this imbicile was a Professor of Law. Even as he refuses to show his college credentials, or "anything" to do with any school he attended. Are you ever sure he went to school at all? NOPE. But does the Left care? NOPE. He's their Messiah. Plain and simple. The GOD of the Left. Bow and Hail GOD Obama! King of Lemmings.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear AesopsRetreat.com
    I am going to set your above opinion to music and call it The Fool's Overture. Of course people claim to graduates of Ivy League colleges, who aren't. It is such and easy thing to do. Who would even think to check. Before you next engage your fingers, pause for a moment and then go have a nap. And just so you'll know, I am a card carrying conservative.

April 9, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  23. MaryM

AesopsRetreat, you definatly sound psychotic on the verg of a complete breakdown. Get help dude, fast.

April 9, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  24. Squigman

Can't wait for the elections. Hope the people tell the entire republican party to go to hell.

April 9, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. Bobby Ray

Obama calls for the Supreme Court to uphold his health care initiative, and the party that has whined about "activist judges" for the past two decades, are having a hissy fit.

April 9, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |