Grassley calls Obama 'stupid' on Twitter
April 9th, 2012

Grassley calls Obama 'stupid' on Twitter

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, who has long been an outspoken critic of President Barack Obama, used scathing language in a tweet Saturday to condemn the president's remarks about the Supreme Court last week.

"Constituents askd why i am not outraged at PresO attack on supreme court independence. Bcause Am ppl r not stupid as this x prof of con law," Grassley wrote, using typical shorthand for the social networking website.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Responding to the message, Obama campaign senior strategist David Axelrod, himself a prolific tweeter who often engages critics of the president, blasted the Iowa senator.

"Heads up, Sen. Grassley. I think a 6-year-old hijacked your account and is sending out foolish Tweets just to embarrass you!" Axelrod wrote.

Obama last Monday was asked about measures his administration was taking in the event the United States Supreme Court determines his health care law is unconstitutional. The high court heard oral arguments on the law in late March. Obama said such a decision would be "unprecedented."

"I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," the president said.

Filed under: Chuck Grassley • David Axelrod • President Obama
  1. walter johnson

talk about the pot calling the kettle black, a colloquialism that grassley should understand. i think it is fair to say that chuck grassley is the dumbest u.s. senator. he would be suited to do the 5 a.m. farm report on an am radio station. I would be embarrassed to admit that grassley is my senator. if he is an accurate reflection of the intelligence level of the voter in Iowa, wow! yikes! when you become a senator, you are supposed to act appropriately. grassley never got the message. he still behaves as if he is in Iowa sloppin' the hogs. He can't compete with President Obama, so the only thing he has left is to criticize and villify. it's a typical ignorant tactic from an ignorant person. he and his right wingnut affiliates complained vociferously about the left wing judicial activism when the tables were turned. now, that bush stacked the court with their kind, they can't stand the president calling them out on the exact same issue. SAD!

April 9, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. leukevent

Grassley's the stupid one! Check out the brief commentary / interview with Yale, professor Linda Greenhouse, regarding President Obama's comments (and ensuing brouhaha) related to upcoming Supreme Court decision on the 'Affordable Health Care Act'.

Outstanding commentary by writer and legal scholar, Linda Greenhouse-–with the hope that cooler minds, such as hers, prevail in the upcoming landmark Supreme Court decision on the 'Affordable Health Care Act'!

As a Dutch person might might say, In deze geval, ben ik met haar totaal het eens'! = In this case, I totally agree with her!

April 9, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  3. eyedoc

And just for kicks, I think both sides of this argument are incredibly ignorant. Has Obama made mistakes and handled things inappropriately? Absolutely. Does he have weaknesses like all normal people do? Absolutely. Now looking at the Republicans, is there a portion of them who are so zealously religious and right winged they are completely out of touch with reality? Absolutely. Do I agree with all of their stances, Absolutely not. Do I agree with all of Obamas and democrats stances? Absolutely not. So where does that leave us? With a bunch of crazy right and left wing extremists when in reality, most of us see the good and the bad in each party. Stop polarizing this issue as if your side has no faults and the other side is some spawn from hell. This is why America is going to hell in a handbasket, because of the people who live here, not our leaders. We choose who runs this country and they are represenative of us.

April 9, 2012 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. MaryM

Some people still cant stand the fact that we have a black President of the U.S.
    Because, It was OK for past Presidents to comment on a case in the Supreme Court, Just not this President HUH? Grassley???

April 9, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. ed perreault

I voted for Him, Slick Willie & George. Listen to him speek; when he reads the speech he does fine, when speaks off the cuff, 56 states as he stated in a speech, he is in trouble. I'm weary of him, & what he really believes when he is speaking.

April 9, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. Brian K

Those are not conventional shortenings. He looks like an idiot writing like that.

April 9, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  7. Dudley

I guess it is time for Obama to switch parties if he is stupid!

April 9, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  8. MaryM

ed, no different standards, just in your mind

April 9, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  9. Stacy

What gets me is these republicans, claim to be such great Christians and have all thes morals and values. .. yet, they dont respect the position of the highest elected official in our country. Even if you dont like what he does, Respect the position. It is a disgrace for political officials to refer to the president in that manner.

April 9, 2012 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  10. Weasley

More faux outrage from the GOP, and a complete lack of civility from a US Senator.

As an American, I am outraged that a Senator has insulted the President of the United States. I would be equally outraged if Senator Grassley made such comments towards ex President Bush.

The President's comments towards the Supreme Court were respectful and meaningful, even if one disagrees. Senator Grassley's comments were neither.

Rather than form an cogent argument why President Obama's comments were inappropriate, Senator Grassley resorts to name calling. I would expect more from a Senator, or an adult for that matter.

April 9, 2012 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  11. TAK

I have lived in Iowa for almost 30 years. I remember the first time I heard Sen. Grassley speak. I was embarrassed to think of him as a US Senator, much less "my" senator. Grassley is an embarrassment to Iowa and the country.

April 9, 2012 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  12. lost516

And we are trying to teach children not to bully? I think it needs to start at the top! our so called politics! I have never seen A president so disrespeted in our country it doesnt make us look very classy! I was not a fan at all of one of our formor presidents, but would never disrespeted him as bad as this president has been. sorry hate to say and hope I am wrong but is it raceism? not pround to be an Iowan right now.

April 9, 2012 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  13. MaryM

Grassley calling President Obama stupid is like Mitt calling the President a flip-flopper. Oh I forget, Mitt did call the President a flip-flopper. lol

April 9, 2012 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  14. cbonetto

Mary M –the race card does not work anymore - You need to be intelligent and present your case on facts & merit. Political correctness is dead. Therefore your statement is void and worthless.

April 9, 2012 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  15. Jerry5555

I think every president that has every run this wonderful country has been called stupid by congressman, what's new?

April 9, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  16. Steeler

Hey allens, are you serious. name callers, you meen like Maxine Waters, Al Sharpton, Bill Mayer, Keith Olberman, Chris Mathews, President Obama, Charles Rengal, allan grayson, harry reid, nancy pelosi, it goes on and on and on. these people are constantly calling republicans nasty names. once again you Dems are pathetic.

April 9, 2012 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  17. Keegan Nunley

Senator Grassly, one word for you, SHRINKAGE!

April 9, 2012 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  18. i want a mega rich Mormon who hides money overseas, and a master tax evader as president

Blacks know what's going on. Of course people hate Obama, not for what you think.
    That hate that Obama is a brilliant black man. Jeez, get over it already.

April 9, 2012 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  19. Cheryl

There used to be a time when there was respect for the President of the United States. Now we even have Senators calling the president stupid. I am truly truly ashamed. What is this country becoming. It will be interesting to see what happens when there is a white president in office again. The hatred for this man is unbelievable.

April 9, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  20. cyg

Hey Chuck – feeling is mutual. Now what are you going to do?

April 9, 2012 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  21. lensmith

And this from a Senator who has no principals. He is one of the worse Senators in the Senate and stands for nothing. He backs down on all things that are good for the country and ends up making our country worse. The more and more I read in comments here and Facebook and in the news, just so many people just cannot stand the fact that the President of the United States of American is black, smart and someone who wants to the best for ALL AMERICANS.

April 9, 2012 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  22. Kathy

OK, this guy is 79 and has been in the same position 32 years. I expect 'posters' on web sites to act this way, but a senator, give me a break. I hate to say typical but I can't help myself; take your 1955 degree and your backward zero class self and move back under that rock you call home. Is this the perfect argument for term limits or what?

April 9, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  23. phoenix86

Congratulations Mary M, the race card appears again. Do you not have any other justification for this imbecile in the White House?

April 9, 2012 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  24. Ryan Wenzel

"Bcause Am ppl r not stupid as this x prof of con law." Daaaaaaaaaaannnngg u got served PresO.

In all seriousness though, calling someone stupid over twitter is about as cowardly as it gets. If you're going to insult someone over the internet, at least do it in a place where you can form coherent words.

April 9, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  25. Ken

Sen. GrASSley. You're a pathetic excuse for a Senator. You know only embarrassed yourself but the entire Senate.
    How sad are you. You're nothing to this country, you stand for nothing you mean nothing. Resign, Quit, Leave!

April 9, 2012 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |