April 10th, 2012

Romney on Santorum: 'This has been a good day for me'

(CNN) – Speaking publicly for the first time about Rick Santorum suspending his campaign, Mitt Romney on Tuesday night expressed relief over his former opponent's decision.

"This has been a, a good day for me," Romney said at a rally in Delaware, as a large crowd cheered him on. "Sen. Santorum has decided not to proceed with his campaign."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Romney said Santorum has "made an important contribution to the political process" by speaking passionately about issues he cares about and predicted the former candidate will have "a major role in the Republican Party."

"I look forward to his work in helping assure victories for Republicans across this country in November," Romney said.

Romney said he spoke with Santorum earlier in the morning but did not elaborate on the details of their discussion.

Republican sources told CNN, however, that Romney's campaign reached out to Santorum to schedule a meeting and discuss a possible endorsement.

But Santorum's spokesman Hogan Gidley said such a move "is not a inevitability."

"Mitt would like it to happen sooner rather than later," Gidley said.

Asked at the Delaware event who he would choose for a vice presidential nominee, Romney jokingly said he didn't even have a list yet.

"This decision by Sen. Santorum is unexpected, and we'll begin thinking about that at some point, but I can't tell you when and I can't tell you who, because we haven't made those decisions yet," Romney said, adding his campaign will begin thinking about the running mate selecting process this week.

– CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Also see:

Poll: Nearly three-quarters of Republicans see Romney as nominee

Romney: I speak with Gingrich more than Santorum

Romney campaign pulls negative ad while Santorum halts campaigning

Filed under: 2012 • Delaware • Mitt Romney • Rick Santorum
  1. GI Joe

ha ha ha ha He thinks the hard part's over.

April 10, 2012 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  2. cali girl

Yawn, for the guy who puts the family dog on his roof, says the trees are the right height, I love cheesy grits, and I plan to stop funding planned parenthood, y'all.
    The list is long and goes on and on. The American people will not soon forget that you do not stand for Americans, yet you stand for American greed.

April 10, 2012 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  3. Four and The Door

...Romney said, adding his campaign will begin thinking about the running mate selecting process this week.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    I would love to see a powerful and capable enough team to make quick, positive impacts on both the economy and our nation's growing pile of debt. Tackling these problems first would help deal with so many other key issues. And the other part of that idea is that the longer we wait the more difficult they will be to address.

Romney/ Ryan 2012

April 10, 2012 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  4. king

The stock market went down today, that gave mitten more joy than santorum getting out of the race. Hey mitten you forgot one thing, oil prices are on their way down, I wonder if that will still be a repubs drum to beat Obama with, if prices keep going down. You guys will probably seek out another narrative to bring to the fore front to beat up Obama with. I guest Obama have to make every thing perfect then I guest.

April 10, 2012 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  5. Tom in San Diego

Santorum impressed me! I applaud him for turning his focus and considerable resources to defeat Obama! The result of his leadership is indicative of a conservative resolve to put PUT AMERICA FIRST!

April 10, 2012 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  6. Skip S. Skeptic

Take a close shot of Santorum's campaign for few days and remember that he truly did this well. Hey, probably next year, he MAY campaign again. Here's my pledge. If Romney win this election, I'd support Santorum if he runs again in 2016. If he doesn't, I don't know. Romney 2012. Santorum 2016.

April 10, 2012 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |