BREAKING: Santorum to suspend campaign
April 10th, 2012

BREAKING: Santorum to suspend campaign

(CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum will announce he will suspend his campaign on Tuesday at an event in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, a senior adviser to the campaign told CNN.

Santorum spoke to GOP presidential front-runner Mitt Romney prior to his expected announcement, according to a Republican source.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

An additional source told CNN that Santorum, his wife, and campaign manager held a conference call with staff Tuesday, advising them not to grow discouraged.

"We are going to stay involved and stay active in the next couple of months," Santorum said, according to the source.

Another source said family and political reasons are major factors for Santorum's decision, adding that the candidate will lay out explicit reasons in the press conference.

The announcement comes after the former Pennsylvania senator took a four-day break from the campaign to spend time with his hospitalized three-year-old daughter, who suffers from a serious chromosomal condition that interferes with development.

His daughter, Bella, was released from the hospital late Monday night.

Santorum launched his presidential bid on June 6.

– CNN Political Reporters Peter Hamby and Shannon Travis contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Pennsylvania • Rick Santorum
  1. SABrown

A lot of rednecks are disappointed today.

2. Dman

Piety, your'e doing it wrong.

3. Thomas

I told you God would talk to him on Easter Sunday.

Actually he was told on Ash Wednesday what is the most important path !

4. Larry L

It will be interesting to see where his voters go... Have they spent so much time tuned-in to Fox News they'd totally reverse their spoken convictions and vote for Romney? Can they delude themselves into believing a liberal/moderate/conservative/"severely"conservative/pro-life/pro-choice/pro-war/anti-war/pro- Obamacare/anti-Obamacare/pro-auto bailout/anti-auto bailout/pro-union/anti-union sort of guy is good for them?

5. Glenna Merriott

I was never a fan of Rick Santorum but I wish him and all the Santorum family the best concerning his daughter, Bella.

6. Turtles

I like them.

7. Jackson

I am not a fan of his in any way, shape, or form, but I am sorry for his daughter's condition, and hope she is ok.

8. unknown11

No, he will not be the running mate. He might think he will, but there is no upside to picking him.

9. scott

He must be afraid he'll lose to a dead guy again.

10. Dave

About time! Now it is time for Flip, Newt, and Ron to do the same thing!

11. Patrick

Oh Dang..............no more political entertainment for April, May and June............what are we going to do now?????

12. kebo72

Is this the same "suspending" that Bachman announced where we'll be lucky to never hear from him again? I hope so only so long as it means Obama still wins the re-election. Not the best President but we can't afford any of the GOP candidates to win in 2012. So help us in 2016.

13. dreamer96

Deep in an underground Democrat planning bunker the sound system break out loud with music..every body gets up and dances...

Another on bites the dust..Yea .drums....Da Dum,
    Another on bites the dust...Yea.. drums....Da Dum,
    Another on bites the dust...Yea..drums....Da Dum,
    Another ones gone, Another ones gone, Another on bites the dust..Yea...drums....Da Dum,

And somebody is doing the Robot Dance...Oh brother....Oh I'm sorry.... it's the Drone Dance....Yea....Obama 2012...

14. Sal

Finally, good riddance Santorum! You never had a chance to begin with. 

15. Kirk

Am I the only one who believes that if he has to take time away from his campaign for his sick daughter he'll also be taking time away to take care of her when he becomes president. Good bye Rick nice knowing ya.

16. Anonymous010

Woo hoo! It's about time. This guy was extremely dangerous, so I'm glad he's stepping down. Even a remote chance that he could've become President was too much. I don't think that Romney is stupid enough to make the same mistake that McCain did with Palin in 08 – it would have virtually the same effect: far right Republicans might love Santorum, but everybody else hates him, so it would've dragged Romney down with him (not that it'll matter anyway).

17. Uncle Hank

I bet that fool couldn't even pick his daughter out of a lineup.

18. Peter

Well at least he got an entry in Urban Dictionary out of the run.

April 10, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. Kris

My God.....Rick & Newt have to be the Creepiest people I've ever seen.

April 10, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. portland tony

Now we get some serious campaigning. This is gonna be one nasty, name calling, negative election. But that's the American way!

April 10, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. Laura, Massachusetts

Okay, the race is now officially on! Send President "Hope"less and "Change"less packing.

Go Romney/Rubio 2012.

April 10, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  22. TBONE

To Independent Voters, I hate to say, as much as I like Obama, and voted for him in 2008, with so many people out of work including myself, we need somebody new in the White House. I will not be voting for him in 2012. I am an Independent Moderate. I do not trust Romney either, so I will probally not going to be voting for either and just put a fill in candidate. I really do not think Obama is going to win re-election. He just comes off as too polarizing and sort of clueless in terms of his own change. We need somebody truly moderate and I just do not think Obama is that man anymore.

April 10, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  23. Liza

Good riddance!!

April 10, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  24. BK

I guess the new thing is "suspending" your campaign and saying you will stay involved. As if you matter anymore. God forbid he just says "It's clear I can't win. I quit." But then again, he's a Republican living in the bubble.

April 10, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  25. Dems2012

And with that, can we finally hear nothing more from the Tea Party crowd?

April 10, 2012 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |