Obama campaign: Romney's greatest hits
April 11th, 2012

Obama campaign: Romney's greatest hits

(CNN) – President Barack Obama's re-election campaign marked the conclusion of the Republican primary - and the beginning of the general election campaign - with a nearly two-minute Web video splicing together clips of Mitt Romney's most conservative statements from the trail.

The video comes at the unofficial start of the general election campaign, and highlights the effort Obama's team will make to undermine a potential shift to the middle from the likely Republican nominee.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"Expect us to keep holding Romney accountable for the positions he committed to during the primary. There will be no Etch A Sketch opportunities this year," Obama campaign press secretary Ben LaBolt said.

The video begins with an invitation to reminisce on the past several months: "As Republicans settle on the nominee, let's take a look at some of the unforgettable moments from this unforgettable primary."

What follows is a series of clips, mostly out of context, of Romney proclaiming positions that will make liberals cringe.

"Corporations are people, my friend," Romney says in the first sound bite. He made the statement in Iowa, making the point that corporate success often leads to profits for individuals.

The video continues with Romney asserting, "I like to be able to fire people who provide services to me." That comment was made in New Hampshire, and the candidate was advocating giving Americans the option of getting rid of their health insurance companies if they weren't pleased with their performance.

The Obama campaign video goes on to show Romney's now-famous proclamation at the Conservative Political Action Conference that he was a "severely conservative Republican governor," a statement made to quell fears among the GOP that he was too moderate to appeal to the Republican base.

Team Obama's video moves to a series of Romney clips featuring the candidate's remarks on reproductive rights, an attempt by the president's re-election campaign to capitalize on the growing gender gap, seen in several recent polls, between Romney and the incumbent Democrat.

Romney is shown saying at a debate that he believed the Supreme Court should overturn Roe v. Wade, and expressing support for a constitutional amendment that would allow employers to deny health coverage for contraception.

He is shown making the statement, "Planned Parenthood, we're going to get rid of that." Romney, who made that comment in March, explained he was referring to ending federal funding to the women's health provider.

The video has a section devoted to Romney's comments on the economy, using video of him saying "Don't try and stop the foreclosure process, let it run its course and hit the bottom."

Another clip shows Romney doubling down on a newspaper op-ed he wrote in 2008, saying "That's exactly what I said, let Detroit go bankrupt."

The video concludes with the tagline: "Mitt Romney: A severely conservative nominee. Remember that."

Romney's team responded to the video with a slam on Obama's economic record.

“It’s no surprise with the worst job creation record in modern history and a platform of raising taxes that President Obama would try to distract Americans from the real issues," Romney press secretary Andrea Saul said in a statement. "Unemployment is up, incomes are down and gas prices are through the roof. Mitt Romney is running to get Americans back to work and the country back on track.”

– CNN's Jessica Yellin and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report

Also see:

Romney on Santorum: 'This has been a good day for me'

Louisiana governor endorses Romney

Crossroads GPS to drop $1.7 million against Obama

Filed under: Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. Alois

Slaming Romney is the only path that deadbeat obama and his corrupt, do nothing administration can take. They can't run on anything that loser obama has done positive in the past four years.The gas prices are the highest since 2008,the deficite is the highest in history, loser obama has squanderd our taxpayer money on bankrupt companys,his failed ,idiotic, policies are dragging down any economic recovery. The past two years have proven how much of a failure obama has been. Why would anybody vote for a fraud like obama anyway.

April 11, 2012 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  2. Try some facts

"Rogue351
    Let’s not forget the cost of fuel under the last republican president !"

I paid more for gas two weekends ago then I ever paid during the Bush administration.
    Why are the Obama apologists so historically ignorant and/or revisionistic?

April 11, 2012 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

Tom wrote on page 9:

....And Obama has piled his own spending on that of the previous Administration. ...
    -----------------------–
    Oh, yeah. Like what? What new policies have added to the annual deficit? Before you answer, let me point out that the every annual deficit under Pres. Obama has been *less* than the annual deficit of the Bush administration.

In fact, the Bush administration policies added $1 trillion to the annual deficit during his first 7 years, leaping to almost $2 trillion during his final year, FY2009. Now Romney is campaigning on sustaining the Bush policies and enacting the Bush wish list that he ddn't get done. Romney/Ryan want to finisht the job that Bush/Cheney started.

April 11, 2012 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  4. v_mag

Blaming gas prices on President Obama is nonsense, unless you also give him credit for the lowest natural gas prices in a decade. And I haven't heard 1 Repugnant give the President credit for anything. Somehow, they think a blanket statement like, "He's the worst president in history" is a compelling argument for going back to the demonstrably failed policies of GWB.

April 11, 2012 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. Woman In California

YES, I am so much better off than I was four years ago and this is no lie.

April 11, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  6. julie

@ captain Obvious...........it will be okay....... I know the facts not important to folks like you.........just be patient 2020 will be here b 4 U know it THEN you can vote for Romney..................Rubbish you should be ued to that coming from repubs
    THAT IS their motto "RUBBISH"

April 11, 2012 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  7. DDTM

"Rudy"
    If I remember correctly, wasn't there some issue with a certain Nebraska Senator who took a "bribe" in order to ensure his vote for healthcare? It seems to me, that was behind closed doors. And it surely seems to me that Pelosi's comment was "WE have to pass this bill to find out what is in it".

If I am correct, didn't Senator Obama, in '08, delcare that raising the debt limit was a terrible thing to do for the country, and now look at where we are at. Didn't I also remember that passing the healthcare bill was going to save us a ton of money? Didn't I also see on the news yesterday about it now going to cost at least another $340 billion? And we aren't even into the stage where companies start to drop their employee coverages.

As far as "Republicans" only interrested in wars and getting into them, you are probably too young to remember Vietnam and how President Johnson escalated that war to biblical proportions. Maybe that didn't cost us trillions, but it sure as hell cost us a ton of lives. Listening to Generals is what got us into both messes.

April 11, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  8. v_mag

@Alois: "Why would anybody vote for a fraud like obama anyway."

Because things are so much better under his presidency than they were under Bush. And Rom-money = Bush. You want the economy to crash instead of improving, like it is? You want a war with Iran? How about even lower taxes for the rich, while the national debt mounts and the middle class slides into poverty? Those are the only reasons anybody would vote for Romney/Bush. Even a 1%er like Warren Buffet knows that this country would be crazy to hire Rom-money to destroy it.

April 11, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  9. Dennis

So what Bush did was wonderful? Let's go back to that and see what you get!

April 11, 2012 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  10. Women in NY

I'm much worse off than I was 4 years ago. That woman in California must be getting more handouts than me! And I thought NY was a better welfare state!

April 11, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. Fair is Fair

julie

so are all lof you flip flop voters for Romne much be part of the 1%......OR is it you just hate a black man in the WH...that you vote against your own interest for someone NOBODY can trust.....so of you are just PITIFUL!!
    ----------
    I'm not part of the so-called 1%.
    I don't care what the color of the President's skin is.
    How dare you assume what MY best interests are? That you do, julie, is what's truly PITIFUL.

April 11, 2012 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  12. Leo

Wrong, Alois. More jobs have been created in 3 years under President Obama than 8 under President Bush. Trickle down is the greatest hoax ever devised. Americans are no longer fooled by this BS. Get ready for another Dole and McCain moment in November. Momentum is with the progressives!

April 11, 2012 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. Get Real

Rudy NYC – are you kidding? Obama's budget will add another 4.9 trillion in debt by 2016! and if Obamacare is not overturned, as it should be, the deficit will break the back of the country but who is not wondering if that isn't actually his intention?

April 11, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. v_mag

I wanna hear at least 1 right winger on this board confront the George W. Bush question. Don't keep your head in the sand and ignore the fact that Rom-money is the same as GWB. Either support the Bush regime and all it's crimes or tell us how Rom-money will be oh-so-different.

Do you still, after all his failures, support what Bush did to this country? Or do you repudiate him and his criminal administration? And if you are satisfied to go back to that nightmare era, just say so, and we'll call the men in white coats to come for you. But if you're not, then tell me how Rom-money is significantly different, and call for Bush/Cheney to be jailed for war crimes.

You really can't support Rom-money without facing the issue of Bush. The issues are inseparable.

April 11, 2012 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. Duane St.Pete FL

slam away.....anything to distract people from remembering that when Obama and the dems had COMPLETE control over the house and senate for two years all that was done was Obamacare.....what a waste. Remember the words by Nancy P. "you have to pass it to see what's in it"......what a joke. All Obama is talking about now is taxing the rich....which will do nothing to help our economy....Just class warfare....that's all he's got.

April 11, 2012 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  16. Little Jimmy Truth

Don't forget about Obama praised Occupy Wall Street that OWS damaged America.

April 11, 2012 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  17. Get Real

Leo – the majority of jobs created under Obama are for unions/ government workers. The purpose for that is: the more people on the government dole the more who will vote to keep big government empowered. Anyone duped into thinking this is better than freedom should just move to Cuba now.

April 11, 2012 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. Just Say No to Flipper

"And to those who love the "etch-a-sketch" issue with Romney, how about those teleprompters?"

Thank you for pointing that out. Rmoney has been pallin' around with a lot of teleprompters lately. You keep an eye on that, 'k?

April 11, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  19. The Real Truth and Nothing But the The Real Truth

Does anybody else in here get the feeling from all the Obama supporters that Obama really hasn't been the President the last four years? Nothing is his fault, heck we got his supporters going back to abraham Lincoln defending Obama. The buck stops someplace else, ALL THE TIME. It really makes me wonder why he even ran for the office in the first place.

I truly am hoping that this has just been one very bad nightmare that we will wake up from on Nov. 6.
    You know, like the old Dallas episode when one season turned out to be a dream.

April 11, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama (the real one)

Dave, I read your quote form Senator barack H. Obama, March 2006. Let me repeat MARCH 2006. Again MARCH 2006. Was the country in a Depression back then? Answer: no. Were we involved in TWO wars that did not appear on the "budget"? Answer: yes. Did all this come to pass and light in 2008? Answer: yes. Apples and oranges , almost like peace time and war time. The comment was made under a completely different set of known circumstances. You have to adapt to what is happenning at the time, that sometimes means changing your stance or risking the entire country going down the toilet in order to remain true to a quote.
    Obama 2012. Seriously America.

April 11, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  21. Wake up people

Actually, I'm not better than I was 4 years ago. In April of 08, I had a great job, working for a small steel company that was really feeling the impact of the recession. Starting in 07 my company had to start laying off employees. I was ok in April 08, but September 08 changed the game. The company I had worked for for almost 10 years had to get rid of almost all of their staff. Unfortunately, I was part of it as were Project Managers who had been with the company 25 years. I lost my job, my health care and almost my sanity. For the first time since I had begun working I had to go on unemployment. To those that think most receiving unemployment don't want to work, you couldn't be more wrong. Instead of my very nice weekly paycheck, I received 65% of my pay bi-weekly. I applied for every job I heard about but I couldn't find one to save my life. Thanks to President Obama, I was at least able to keep a roof over my head. And thankfully 7 months ago, I got a new job. It's not as good, I make $5 less per hour, with a longer commute, but at least I'm working again. I do not want to go back to the same Bush policies which is why I support my President.

OBAMA 2012!

April 11, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  22. Duane St.Pete FL

v-mag, how typical....it's all GWB's fault....lol. Bush was a great Pres and I am thankful he was in office when 9-11 happened. If Obama would have been Pres our response would have been to apologize. Obama....cash for clunkers, that was completely retarded. Obama is like a child in office...he gets involved in little cases around the country (remember the beer summit) that he has no business getting into. Foreign policy.....what foreign policy?
    talking with Iran....wow, that has helped...No way do we need more of Obama. And when the Supreme Court strikes down his attempt to take over 1/6th of our economy (Obamacare) he will whine like the spoiled elitist he is.

April 11, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  23. DDTM

Thanks "Flipper" on the issue with Romney and the teleprompters. I think you understand and know that I was insinuating Obama on the teleprompter issue as he is well known for using them, doesn't go anywhere without them. I think you can also see the times he doesn't use one, says one thing one day, has to backtrack the next. So, don't try to read anything different into my comment, or to change what you feel I am thinking and saying.

April 11, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  24. The Real Truth and Nothing But the The Real Truth

Get Real - are you kidding? Obama's budget will add another 4.9 trillion in debt by 2016!
    =======================================================================
    Now come on, we all know that NONE of this is Obama's doing because it was all forced on him by others, it wasn't him, he wasn't there, he didn't ask for it, he didn't do a thing. Yes, even though Bush has been out of office for 4 years and I thought Obama had assumed the presidency, it appears I was dreaming that he was inaugurated in 2009 because George Bush still seems to be in charge of the country so that makes Obama nothing more than a puppet.

April 11, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

DDTM wrote on page 10:

"Rudy"
    ------------–
    Your highly selective memory is correct. You conveniently overlook that fact that your so-called "bribe" was removed prior to any votes being taken and the Nebraska Senator eventually voted for the bill.

I already told you why the ACA was "written behind closed doors" by only Democrats. Republicans boycotted the negotiations on "moral grounds."

Those remarks attributed to Obama were made in 2006 in regard to yet another round of deficit laden legislation being pushed through Congress by Republicans. Remember, Republicans had controlled the Congress for over a decade, and the White House for the previous 6 years.

I remember the Vietnam War, and the nightly casualty totals that kicked every major TV network's evening news broadcast. It was motivated by the anti-communinist sentiment and paranoia running rampant throught the national conversation. It was also a misguided attempt to stop the Red Chinese from getting a nuclear weapon. You make too many false assumptions.

April 11, 2012 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |