April 12th, 2012

Rosen apologizes over comments against Ann Romney

(CNN) – Hilary Rosen offered an apology Thursday after her comments about Ann Romney sparked an uproar and a debate over women and the economy.

"I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended," Rosen, a top Democratic strategist and CNN contributor, said in a statement. "Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The previous day, Rosen argued Ann Romney could not understand the struggles of women in the sluggish workforce because she "never worked a day in her life" as a stay-at-home mother.

Her comments quickly set off a spiraling controversy, as high-profile leaders on both sides of the aisle rushed to the defense of Ann Romney and that of women opting not to pursue their careers to solely focus on raising their children.

Read the full statement below:

"Let's put the faux 'war against stay at home moms' to rest once and for all. As a mom I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his lack of a record on the plight of women's financial struggles. Here is my more fulsome view of the issues. As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay at home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Economy
  1. anon

Alot of the problems with single, or married working moms is the fact that they chose poorly on the kind of "men" they allowed themselves to associate with and bed. They will go to a sperm donor clinic and demand the best, yet when it comes to who they will lay down and make a tricycle motor with, then it's anything goes. There are exceptions, true, but much of the time, this is the main problem. It goes both ways. Men have this problem also, and I'm not talking about men or women who work hard, and just can't catch a break. I'm speaking of those who make poor choices, have no self respect, and couldn't show any kind of self discipline or good judgement concerning money if their lives depended on it.

April 12, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  2. radio77

I would have stated it Ann Romney has a hard time relating to a "single working women" who have limited suport and no health insurance for their families. Yes Ann works but probably doesn't relate well to the blue collar and service industry groups.

April 12, 2012 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. John P. Tarver

A wealthy woman like Ann Romney has a full time job just running the household. An Executive like Mitt needs the comfort of a woman to perform at his best. It is almost as though Ann has been practicing to be First Lady most of her life. How will they get the odor out of the White House?

April 12, 2012 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. bobr

Rosen looks like she works hard....eating!!! Go eat a cheeseburger you cow!!!

April 12, 2012 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. Curious?

Did the Romney's employ a nanny or housekeeper or driver or anyone else that perform the jobs a stay at home mother would normally perform? Makes all the difference in the world.

April 12, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. Chaos

Hiring and firing nannys is hard work.

April 12, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. Nancy

I wouldn't apologize. It's not about working moms vs. working at home moms. It's about a woman whose rich enough that she doesn't HAVE to work even if she doesn't want to. That's the pain the rest of the women in this country deal with regularly. People who would love to be home for their kids, but would have NO home for their kids if they didn't work. Romney doesn't get that, and neither does his wife. Voters do. We live it.

April 12, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Terry

I understand what Ms Rosen was trying to say, and in that I agree with her. Mrs Romney has never been out in the real world like the mother in Nevada example she gave. That being said, raising 5 kids is a big job, and I'm sure it hasn't been easy for her, or her staff of nannies and caregivers and such. The fact that this is even a "controversy" shows how out of touch with the real world the Romneys are. Mrs Romney has never had to face the kinds of crises 99% of women face day in and day out, yet she thinks of herself as representative of women in this country....

April 12, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. Corinne Guy

I am a mother of 3 adult children. I was a stay at home Mom. It was challenging due to finances but we made the right choice as my children are wonderful adults. I think this remark by Rosen is very condescending and I have to wonder about this "war on woman" and which side does it come from. Women have the right to abortion, birth control, and adoption. I wish they would stop making it everyone else s problem and choose wisely. President Obama's family is just af privileged as the Romney's and I wish they would stop making it sound otherwise.

April 12, 2012 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

john wrote on page 3:

In 2008 Rosen said that she supported Michelle rasing her kids and standing behind her husband. hmmm...I guess she only meant dem women – The left also attacked Palin for working and not being able to take care of her kids and one with downs
    --------------
    Not in this reality. Stop making stuff up. Michelle Obama was working at a law firm when Senator Obama announced his candidacy for POTUS. She eventually resigned in 2008. No one criticized Palin over her kids, especially the youngest. People did note the hypocrisy of her teenage daughter being pregnant by such a remarkable young man.

April 12, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. The Greedy Old Pigs declared class war on US!

"She represents well Obam's and the Democratic party's view of women, which does not represent most women in this country."

That's not what the polls say. Your GOBP cult is losing women at a tremendous rate. When this little dust up blows over, certain facts will remain: The GOBP had declared war on women and Ann Rmoney has no clue what the average working mother OR the average stay at home mother goes through.

April 12, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. lifefly27

I am sorry she apologized. That was a mistake. She was correct to begin with.

April 12, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Golden Domer

I think an argument could have been be made by Ann Romney that Rosen doesn't know what it's like to to be a wife and mother because Rosen is just sort of a mother but never was a wife.

April 12, 2012 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. rob

just another crazy militant lesbian

April 12, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  15. AS4321

No she's not sorry... she's simply retracting because people got all bent out of shape.

April 12, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. Rick

I think it was horrible for Rosen to talk that way. What kind of person is she? Is she really a Democratic party leader/ Does she still write for CNN? Does she have any grace???

April 12, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. davey

Ann Romney worked at least as hard as MOOOOchelle and her White House staff.

April 12, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. theresad

I don't see what the problem is. I would have said the exact same thing about Mitt - He's never had to *really* work a day in his life.

I'd like to see him work two jobs just to pay the rent.

April 12, 2012 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  19. Jedi

All you people who continued to shame Ann Romney and praise Rosen for your "truth" can take this article and eat your own words. What you failed to realize is your "truth" you thought Rosen was speaking actually has nothing to do with economics or anything important to this country. Good job heralding political family bashing along with your meaningless chimes of "oh my Rosen is great and was refering to the economy". Apparantly Rosen herself now agrees she needs to stick to whats important, take notes people.

April 12, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. cicadasystem

@ John & Blake. You must have missed the point of her comment. She was stating that Romney was being foolish to get serious economic advice from his stay at home wife. Someone who has never had even the most basic of economic positions, a job. This isn't any kind of bashing of stay at home mothers.

April 12, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. Betty

I see many pretend to have misunderstood what Ann said. She left out the 3 words "outside the home" unfortunately.

Awhile ago Fox trotted out Barbara Bush in support of Mrs. Romney's views on the financial and economical difficulties of women. Wow. We have two stay at home millionaire moms to tell us how it is..

When you're already in a hole stop digging.

April 12, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. Tired777

I think it would be interesting to know if Mrs. Romney had nannies, housekeepers, personal assistants or other paid workers to help her raise her 5 sons. Did she do it all by herself? DId she have to clip coupons for diapers and canned peaches to stretch her husband's paycheck? Did she take all 5 boys with her to do the grocery shopping, after being up all night with a sick child, all the while hoping there would be enough money to feed the family and pay for medical care?

April 12, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  23. KenDiego

Here's something I'd like all candidates, pundits, strategists, pollsters, and reporters to keep in mind for the next few months. I'm not voting for a First Lady. I'm trying to decide who I want to be President. Please try to stay on topic.

April 12, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  24. Libysnow

What's remarkable is that we still have to remind people that the most important job in the world is, in fact, a job.

April 12, 2012 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  25. NorCalMojo

It's a war on soccermoms

April 12, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |