April 12th, 2012

Rosen apologizes over comments against Ann Romney

(CNN) – Hilary Rosen offered an apology Thursday after her comments about Ann Romney sparked an uproar and a debate over women and the economy.

"I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended," Rosen, a top Democratic strategist and CNN contributor, said in a statement. "Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The previous day, Rosen argued Ann Romney could not understand the struggles of women in the sluggish workforce because she "never worked a day in her life" as a stay-at-home mother.

Her comments quickly set off a spiraling controversy, as high-profile leaders on both sides of the aisle rushed to the defense of Ann Romney and that of women opting not to pursue their careers to solely focus on raising their children.

Read the full statement below:

"Let's put the faux 'war against stay at home moms' to rest once and for all. As a mom I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his lack of a record on the plight of women's financial struggles. Here is my more fulsome view of the issues. As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay at home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Economy
  1. ireuel

After reading some of the remarks, I have come to the conclusion that if your not a democrat then you are just plan stupid, so just shut up and we know what is best for you. This is why this Independent votes less for people on the left. Then when I make a comment that they do not agree with, I very seldom get a educated response. It is usually follow with a degrading remark, name-calling. Then we have the OBOT's got to love these people they drop a copy/paste talking point and rarely respond to you in a debate manner when specifics are discussed. Or the response is a already prepared Generic response that never really answers your questions. I guess that is just following their leader, cause that is always what he has done, He drops a generic line and when questioned in detail, they tell us he is a very educated man and you are just to stupid to comprehend the chosen one. How dare you question his very intellect or I am just a racist if all other responses don't work. That a platform I can stand behind. LOL 6.3 Trillion reasons on why his plan will never work and there is not enough tax raising on everyone that will balance that budget, oops I mean Continuing Resolution (CR) for 3 years.

April 12, 2012 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  2. The Real Truth and Nothing But the The Real Truth

Just another chapter in the Democrats REAL WAR on women that aren't in the Democrat Party. Just as they wage ware on all blacks or other minorities that aren't in the Democrat Party. The Democrat Party is the true party of hate and divisiveness.

April 12, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. p

Just think of all the days to come before November, just like this.
    The Romney's will be working hard to show how they really relate to everyday people who work for their paycheck, and try to make ends meet. Gazillionaires that they are. Good luck Romneys!

April 12, 2012 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  4. rc33

John Kerry was worth 3 or 4 TIMES what Mitt Romney's worth but no one had a problem with him in '04.
    In light of all this, I'd kinda like to know why.

April 12, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. peggy

Ms. Rosen is correct. She was referring to paid work outside of the home.Taking care of kids is hard work and sometimes paid work but for Ann Romney it was out of choice and not necessity.

April 12, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  6. nc1965

This is nothing new with wives like Ann Romney with wealthy husbands.

You get a rich husband, you have a bunch of babies to tie your husband’s money to you.

You stay at home and be his bed mate and child bearer cause you have the time and the motivation (which is money).

April 12, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  7. Anders Perillo

And "Republicans" are the ones "waging a war on women"?!?!?!?! She's apologizing because she got upbraided mercilessly for throwing a wrench in the machinery of the "war on women" theme the Democrat Party are trying to cultivate.

April 12, 2012 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  8. Romer

Can't wait to tell my my wife she does not work as a stay at home mom. I have backup from another Obama loon.

April 12, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  9. JuneCleaversBeaver

That's some world record backpeddling..........

April 12, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  10. Liz

You got to give it to the rich judgemental liberals, they are always ready to look down their nose at stay at home mothers,or anyone else that fails to meet their elite requirements. I am a self employed business woman, who has always worked and raised a family, but I give credit to Ann Romney and any other stay at home mother, raising a family. The democrats policy is to divide. American are overtaxed under this administration, The apology was hollow.

April 12, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. Anonymous

That has to be one of the most insincere and narcisstic apologies I have ever heard or read. I am a working class Mother of 3 sons. I have worked both part time and full time during their upbringing. I don't begrudge those that stay home all the time or those that work full time...rich or poor...black or white. As a human we make choices/decisions and live the the conditions of those decisions either good or bad. I just simply feel sorry for jealous people and Ms. Rosen sounds like a very jealous shrew.

April 12, 2012 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  12. CTStorm

Hilary Rosen is an idiot and a POLITICAL COMMENTATOR to boot. Now THAT.... is what I call never working a day in your life !

April 12, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  13. terry

Got to love the hate CNN brews here. You liberals want all the handouts and have no clue on what main stream America is.

April 12, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. carly

Rosen was right on the money. She may not have presented it well but the truth is that Ann Romney has no concept what it is to be a working mother and to struggle to make ends meet and then have right wingers come along and try to defund everything you depend on for survival. Good job Ms. Rosen.

April 12, 2012 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  15. Greenwich Goblin

In her apology, she referred to the criticism of her comments about Ann Romney as a "faux war" and a "phony war" - a rather Limbaughesque apology indeed, IMHO. And "fulsome" means insincere, by the way.

April 12, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. PHinMiami

Oh yeah! Must have been a real hardship for Anne to raise children. What with maids to clean her houses and wash her cars, she barely had time to pursue her horseback riding career. Sitters cost money, . . . oh wait, there was never a shortage of money.

Give me a break, Anne Romney has NOTHING in common with the average person raising children or working for a living. Most of us have done both at the same time, without unlimited funding.

Go ahead, all you GOP wives and pretend you're just like her.

April 12, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  17. Dianne Stenzel

Hilary Rosen's remark about Ann Romney is really low class and degrading towards all stay at home mothers. If Rosen can't control her mouth any better than this, CNN should fire her.

April 12, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  18. Willie12345

What a bitter, sour, mean spirited women Rosen has proven to be. I'm surprised she did mock Mrs. Romney for her MS or breast removal. Such hatred and anger is hard to understand.

April 12, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  19. Jackie

Anne Romney' will not be able to change women's mind about her husband. I am sure many women see her in that top 1%. Please know I liked Mrs. Bush also but that did not change my mind about her husband. Mrs. Bush is a very classy lady. She is a gift from God to the former President Bush (son). However, it was he that the American people looked at and not his wife. This is the same for Mrs. Romney as well.

April 12, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. Waddell

I am tired of politicians and their wives who claim to speaking on behalf of women. They do not speak on behalf of this woman. The Romney family does not have a clue about my life or millions of other WORKING WOMEN and MEN. They say what they think we want to hear but they couldn't be more misguided. They are as transparent as seran wrap. It is assualting and offensive. Those who coddle those who "opt out" of the work force to raise their children are a kick in the heart to those of us who don't have that privilege of choice. This dialogue gets more nauseating all the time. I wish someone out of the blue would materialize who actually understands the human conditiion of most Americans and who is willing to run for president and who can inspire and evoke trust and enthusiasm. Right now, the entire picture gets bleaker and fuzzier. Where are the really good people, not these snake oil salespeople and their spouses?

April 12, 2012 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  21. Rosslaw

I bet Mrs. Romney bought her two cadillacs with coupons. Let's just say an good measure of being out of the loop is if you feel very at ease in a private Gulfstream. I think most moms would find that a little exciting but not if its more common than taking commercial flights.

April 12, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. Fr33th1nk3r

And in other news, the paint continues to dry....

What she said is correct– as a stay-at-home mom, she does NOT know anything about searching for jobs or staying employed in the American workforce, anymore than a 9-5 person knows the daily drudgeries of mopping the kitchen floor.

We have become so oversensitive in this nation, and so trained to be offended by the slightest thing, it is no small wonder our government is at a complete gridlock.

April 12, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. flyboy7588

What this liberal said speaks volumes about the feminist mindset regarding women in our country who make different choices than they do. I thought liberal women believed in a woman's right to choose but I guess that only applies when it comes to deciding if your baby lives or dies. Rosen opened the window into the mind of women like her. And people are discussed by it.

April 12, 2012 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  24. Golda Maier

If the Jews think being a stay at home mom is disdainful and being a hard-driven career woman is so great, how come so many of them are lunatics, busy-bodies and in therapy?

April 12, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. nobama

read this carefully, This is not an actual apology. And it's is a REAL war on woman created by Barry O.

April 12, 2012 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |