April 12th, 2012

Rosen apologizes over comments against Ann Romney

(CNN) – Hilary Rosen offered an apology Thursday after her comments about Ann Romney sparked an uproar and a debate over women and the economy.

"I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended," Rosen, a top Democratic strategist and CNN contributor, said in a statement. "Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The previous day, Rosen argued Ann Romney could not understand the struggles of women in the sluggish workforce because she "never worked a day in her life" as a stay-at-home mother.

Her comments quickly set off a spiraling controversy, as high-profile leaders on both sides of the aisle rushed to the defense of Ann Romney and that of women opting not to pursue their careers to solely focus on raising their children.

Read the full statement below:

"Let's put the faux 'war against stay at home moms' to rest once and for all. As a mom I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his lack of a record on the plight of women's financial struggles. Here is my more fulsome view of the issues. As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay at home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Economy
  1. Annie

Hillary Rosen said what is true, even those who can afford to stay at home with kids (or not), may be offended that this is not considered the same "work" world that the rest of us working moms have to live in. For the Romneys to say that they understand the economy that most of us experience is baloney. With a $21 million dollar annual income they hardly have to worry about the medical, child care, housing or food bills that most American families struggle over.

Mrs. Romney is an expert on horsemanship and riding. I look forward to her articles on that and stay at home moms who have a lot of money. period.

April 12, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Harry Soete

I hope that there is really not one woman stupid enough to believe Obama and the DEMs that there is a war on women by republicans. Women are concerned just like men on prices of groceries, gas, heating oil, jobs, kids cost for education, clothes, "our" 401Ks, and everything else that has gone up dramatically under this blooming idiot and his absolute cronnies. Where is Holder on making arrests for posting bounties on the lives of americans? No way can this country stand another 4 years.

April 12, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  3. Brad

rc3 I can tell you why. First, it was his wife's money. Second he didn't run from it. Romney's huge mistake is he is trying to convince blue collar voters that he is something he is not, and most see right through it. He should embrace his success as part of the American dream and say he is trying to make that opportunity available to everyone. As it is he just comes off as a phony. And make no mistake, while Anne might be the nicest person in the world she has never had a care about whether her family can afford health care, losing a job, or wondering where the next dressage horse is coming from. She simply can't relate and sholdn't even try.

April 12, 2012 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. Jackie

It is Romney that put his wife on the campaign trail to talk with women because he is incapable. If you are going to do that then it is fair game.

April 12, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. Steve

The left can't figure out which way they want it! Attack someone for being a stay at home Mom or a working Mom. Obama can't run on his record, so lets start attacking opponents families. Need to focus on the families out of jobs. Or here's one for ya! "How about Welfare reform". And to think, I was once a Democrat.

April 12, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. Valentina

This woman, Hilary Rosen, should be ashamed of herself! She should be a character in one of the loonie toons she is so far out there.

April 12, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. m,garrett

when republicans win,working people always lose.

April 12, 2012 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. Daniel

Reading these comments, I feel sad that I have to live in a country so full of idiots. Of course the wealthy Mrs. Romney can not relate to a woman in the working world. It's a no-brainer. To compare the two worlds make no sense. Rosen was just stating what anyone with half a brain cell would think. She wasn't putting down motherhood at all. I can only blame the ignorance on fear, lack of education and the propaganda that Fox News spews.

April 12, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  9. evelin

denroy,

she is a paid by CNN and not an Obama advitsor! Fox like usually is spreading this lie!

April 12, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. kravitz

It's still stunning Rosen would say such a thing, since she said she needed to spend more time with her own family when she left the RIAA. Unless she was lying.... (she did do public relations for BP...who knows.)

April 12, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. AK

I am a stay at home mom out of choice. I work 6 am to 11 pm 7 days of the week 365 days of the year. Just because I do not get a pay check for my efforts I don't get to be brainless on 'thinking issues'! With a degree in economics and education, I am trying to translate this woman's remarks – so – if I don't work in an office with a name tag on the door & am unable to put a dollar value to what my contribution to society is, I don't get to "understand economic issues"? Does staying at home make me automatically stupid?

April 12, 2012 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. BubbaHoTep

I am old school and personally I think women SHOULD be home taking care of kids and cleaning the house and making supper for their husbands!! The republican party still uphold these values and obviously the Romney's have also. Same with santorum who chose to homeschool their kids. The Democrats are just all about women issues and liberties and other BS! No one wants women to work. That is not their place. Their place is to be at home and take care of their husbands! This ciommunist women Rosen once again spews liberal beliefs! I'm voting for Romney all the way because he like most conservatives think that women's place should not be in corporate America but rather be home!!!! Stupid librals and their progressive policies!!! What's next? a freking women president?

April 12, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. kboy

I don't understand why Ms. Rosen has been made to take back her words, she simply said the truth! Ann Romney does not know what it is like to be an employee that has to go to a 9-5 job everyday. She has a couple of cadillacs for God's sake!

April 12, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  14. Dave

I laugh at all the people who criticize Mitt and others who may not have had to clip coupons, etc. Big deal. Guess what?! I don't want someone like me as president. I want someone who can effectively lead this country forward. I've clipped plenty of coupons in my life, and believe me, you wouldn't vote for me either.

April 12, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. Bob B

@p. bergerson...Once again, a liberal defender to bad behavior. Let's deflect from the issue that Obama and his minions are playing "divide and conquer". No matter how much money the Romney's have, does that detract the value of a woman in the home. You bring up the illegal landscaper. Fact is Romney did not directly employ the illegal. The landscape company did. So let's once again apply the same standard...Obama associated himself with terrorists and communists. Funny how the liberals always find it convenient to ignore that "inconvenient truth".

April 12, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. buccakenji

Rosen is a FLUKE. . . . .

April 12, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. ronny_s

Boy, liberal jewish lesbians can be so offensive...

April 12, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. Dave

BTW, that was a lame apology!

April 12, 2012 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  19. JQP1172

Frankly I am a little tired of some of the boo hooing I hear from...Mom's.

Piece of advice, have children with a good, hands on, shared responsibility type Father and you will find it is not quite so difficult to juggle. I have a wife who works full time as I do and we have a child and you know what I am as willing and as able to help my child with her homework, take her to soccer and take a vacation day to watch after her if she is home sick from school.

Raising children is about juggling BUT it is not solely the responsibility of a mother to juggle. I am far more than my career...I am DAD.

April 12, 2012 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  20. Steve L

Where was Romney when the repbub bully berated the college student a few months ago.. Capt Couragoeus could not even find the courage to stick up for that poor women ..now all the phoney outrage.. Rosen has a point although she presented it badly

April 12, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. ken

So Pres. Obama has created 23 months of job grow has anyone looked at the classified there not getting bigger only smaller which those of you at the White House that means NO ONE is hiring.

April 12, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. Paulo

I'm sure they had a lots o maids to help and a lots o money get real people true it is hard to raise children but if me and my wife were rich we do not have any problems and I to can have a house with a elevator for a car or more

April 12, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  23. Just Say'n

Just Say'n, Although, I know perfectly well what this woman meant, I also know that the Romney's are millionaires and she was probably a stay at home mom, doing the spa and the country club and the servants and nannies and maids, did all the work. I would not consider her or see her as a woman washing windows, cleaning out garages and going to soccer games... So,therefore, I think her point was well said.. I do not think this woman is in any way the stay at home mom I wish I could of been....

April 12, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  24. nc1965

Ann Romney sits at home, not working, bearing kids, while money comes home to her by way of a Socialistic source.

This is indeed...... WELFARE

April 12, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  25. Holly in CA

Since when did Hilary Rosen become a spokesperson for women in America. As a single lesbian mother she hardly identifies with the average American woman.

April 12, 2012 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |