April 12th, 2012

Rosen apologizes over comments against Ann Romney

(CNN) – Hilary Rosen offered an apology Thursday after her comments about Ann Romney sparked an uproar and a debate over women and the economy.

"I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended," Rosen, a top Democratic strategist and CNN contributor, said in a statement. "Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The previous day, Rosen argued Ann Romney could not understand the struggles of women in the sluggish workforce because she "never worked a day in her life" as a stay-at-home mother.

Her comments quickly set off a spiraling controversy, as high-profile leaders on both sides of the aisle rushed to the defense of Ann Romney and that of women opting not to pursue their careers to solely focus on raising their children.

Read the full statement below:

"Let's put the faux 'war against stay at home moms' to rest once and for all. As a mom I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his lack of a record on the plight of women's financial struggles. Here is my more fulsome view of the issues. As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay at home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Economy
  1. AmericanMom

Well, she should be sorry. Her comments were outrageous. The question is: how many children has Rosen raised? My guess is zero. I bet she's never done a load of laundry or scrubbed a toilet in her life or been up at midnight, 2 a.m., 3 a.m, and 4 a.m. with an infant. My guess is the most actual "work" she does during the day is putting on her makeup and her expensive suit for her television appearances so she can tell those of us who change diapers and clean up spilled juice all day how we don't actually work so we're not worthy of having any opinions.

April 12, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. dan J

That was one of the most insincere, back-handed apologies I've ever heard. Where is the National Organization for Women? Where's Gloria Allred?

April 12, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. Lisa

Hillary Rosen should not have apologized to Mrs. Romney. What she said is true. We all know what she meant and Mrs. Romney is playing politics on behalf of her husband when she blasts Hillary. All single parents, man or woman, knows it's double duty. Mrs. Romney was fortunate she never had to work outside the home and could stay home to look after her children. Most single parents do not have that luxury.

April 12, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. mangoz

I have just finished watching Wolf Blizer "grill and hound" Hilary Rosen and it has become very obvious to me that both parties are using her to distract Americans from other issues at hand. We have watched both parties bring new meaning to "slinging mud" and all of a sudden they are on a WITCH HUNT??? This is merely the "tail wagging the dog". It is supposed to take your mind off the North Korean missile they will launch any minute now. So instead of "looking up" everyone will be looking at poor Hilary Rosen while she is "nailed to the cross". Thanks Wolf...I lost a lot of respect for you.

April 12, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. Michele

I am tired of being lied to, demonized if you do not agree with the liberals and just the whole smear tactics being used. I am a conservative woman who is self-employed and my employees all have health Insurance and a Retirement plan. and I glady give away far more than the Government wants to take from me.

April 12, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Guest

This is a ridiculous series of events. Hillary Rosen was clearly referring to "working a day" in the national workforce for monetary compensation, which Ann Romney has never had to do.

No one is disputing that raising children is difficult and time-consuming.

I can't imagine why there has been such a gross overreaction. It certainly couldn't be an attempt to manipulate the populace in order to gain political capital. How could a politician or media organization possibly benefit from hyperbolizing this absolute non-issue?

April 12, 2012 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Lisa

You stay at home moms out there.
    Do you really think your children are going to be smarter or more talented than kids of working moms. From what I can see in my part of the world. The kids of rich stay at home moms do poorer in school have less talent on the athletic field and in a music studio vis-a-vis kids of working moms. The kids who are getting into the top schools in my part of the world; including the Ivies, are kids of working moms ( sales execs, doctors, and researchers). It is not the kids of soccer and country club moms.

April 12, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  8. Alex

what if I said my career choice was to be a father? d-d-d-double standard perhaps?

April 12, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. Common

Ann Romney is out of touch with reality, but as Mitt's wife she has to speak out. All stay at home mothers overrate themselves. Watching Nancy Grace and early morning shows on ABC, will do that. Not that stay at home moms aren't busy, but the level of work is incomparable to a real job. You can only read so much and learn so much before you need first hand experience to understand a matter. Having children in a big choice. Husband or wife will have to make personal and professional sacrifices.

April 12, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. The Truth Hurts!

Did we just lapse into a time warp circa 1992? Didn't I hear this same garbage when another Hillary was up for being First Lady? Democrats stop trying to divide the country into little interest groups you can manipulate.

April 12, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Anonymous

Leave Hilary Rosen ALONE. The republican party members are nothing but opportunists. Hilary merely meant never working a day in her life in an OFFICE setting, not at home raising her children. My mother had ten kids of course it's work but she didn't have to get up and commute in the morning, attend meetings, get evaluated and hope for a good raise or bonus. I raise my children and go to work as well.
    Shame on Wolf Blitzer for his comments to Hilary and saying he didn't hear an apology. He's such a butt kisser

April 12, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. nc1965

Average American women

I know that you long for the day when you don’t have to work and just stay and home and breed, while money is coming in so that you can buy designer clothes for you kids, not worrying about bills and finances (an accountant is taking care of that for you), and have a car elevator built in your multi-level home so that you can do less work walking to you car while in your 3rd story bedroom.

Well, it’s not going to happen. But for Ann Romney, this is daily life.

April 12, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. Kay

Womens rights and dignity only belong to Democrats. Since I viewed my children more important than working for their formative years that makes me some kind of Stepford wife. It doesn't matter that I work now that my two boys are in college and make more than my incredible husband. This is wrong.

April 12, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Eagle1

When this couple was in college they lived in a $62 dollar a month apartment while in college! Romney donated his inheritance to charity, She rides horse for her MS decease! Yeah the Dems, the tolerant and compassionate among us! Hypocrites! Where where you hypocrites when Kerry dumped one rich wife for a richer one? He would have been the Gigolo in Chief but the American people were too smart to elect this womanizing free loader!

April 12, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. Sharon

Hilary Rosen, Stick by your guns, you said nothing wrong. She may have stayed home with her boys but I bet she had a lot of help. That is something I didn't have You did a great job with Wolf this afternoon.

April 12, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. clevercandi

Another reason not to "tweet"

April 12, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. truth

Wh disavows knowing Rosen, heck only visited them 34 times what would you expect...the Obama's sat in Reverend WRONGS church pew for years and didn't hear much either...the most disengenuious president ever....blab blab blab...

April 12, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  18. TJones

Obama has never run a business...yet he goes around all the time telling business what they need to do. The liberal zombies find this good.

Ann Romney has lives a fairly privileged adult life..yet claims to understand the plight of the common man. The liberal zombies find this bad.

Interesting things zombies do. No politics involved with this at all....nope not one bit.

April 12, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  19. ALF

I don't think that what Hilary Rosen said was too far off the mark. Certainly, whether being a stay at home mother or a working mother is a challenge itself. However, to have the luxury to have a husband who is in the top tier of bread winners wheter you have 1,6, or 14 children makes a difference as to whether or not you can stay at home and devote asll your time to child rearing. But, there are many families with two incomes who can't and the enormous amount of single parent families that are headed by women who would live to be at home when there children come home from school but can't because they HAVE TO WORK some of us can only wish for that but we still have to try to be good mothers and teachers in addition to being the bread winners and those women know exactly whast Ms. Rosen was sasying and to try to take it to another level just shows how far removed they are because they don't know the struggle out here to make ends meet. Futhermore, these fols have towrk just so that they can have some type of healthcasre for their families everybody's husband is not a millionaire or close to it. So if the Rep. wife from Wisconsin is talking about the top 1% she may be correct, but I know the planet that I live on If you don't work you don't eat and neither do your children. But, whomever the shoe fits wear it we are smart enough to see through this political mess that's trying to be incited.

April 12, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. aja2007

It drives me nuts to be around women like this. Ones who consider stay at home moms less of a woman somehow. Ones that feel like you are a stepford wife for loving your husband and respecting him. Ones who wonder why you ask your husband before you make plans, etc. Each to their own. I'm just not part of the shee-man men haters club yet. I'm not bitter enough at this point. Maybe in my 40's. lol.

April 12, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. jane

oh gawd quit apologizing for the truth that mrs. romney has had it much much cushier than the most of us. end of discussion. i work fulltime, raise a kid, and go to school fulltime...and i do it all w less than 25K a year. talking heads can sit and point fingers at each other...i want to scream stfu and fix this place. yes im tired of the fake outrage all around the place...whether its coming from Fox, MSN, CNN or you tube...blah blah blah. fix it!

April 12, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. vaishali

how abt the women who work and also take care of their kids, so they do double what "stay at home" women do.

April 12, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  23. Anonymous

GET a job and and maybe you can speak to me about be a women with a life she is living. Rich women have nannies and I am sure she had five. So how can she speak to me. I see it all the time, why can't she look us in the eye and say, "I don't know how you fieel, I had a rich life and I thank God" "I am a good person, and I feel for you that you do not have what you need to care for your family" NOOOOOOOOOOOOO she said I understand what it is to WORK. NOOOOOOOOOOO you DO NOT. YOU HAVE NEVER WORKED A JOB AND CARE FOR A FAMILY LIKE ALL THE MILLIONS OF WOMEN IN THE PLACE YOU CALL HOME...

April 12, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  24. Jackie

kiss up

April 12, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  25. Rick

I read one of these posts calling Rosen a journalist? If there is one thing she is not it is a journalist. In fact, there are very few real journalists left. Most show bias and agenda which is paid for by their employers.

April 12, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |