April 12th, 2012

Rosen apologizes over comments against Ann Romney

(CNN) – Hilary Rosen offered an apology Thursday after her comments about Ann Romney sparked an uproar and a debate over women and the economy.

"I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended," Rosen, a top Democratic strategist and CNN contributor, said in a statement. "Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The previous day, Rosen argued Ann Romney could not understand the struggles of women in the sluggish workforce because she "never worked a day in her life" as a stay-at-home mother.

Her comments quickly set off a spiraling controversy, as high-profile leaders on both sides of the aisle rushed to the defense of Ann Romney and that of women opting not to pursue their careers to solely focus on raising their children.

Read the full statement below:

"Let's put the faux 'war against stay at home moms' to rest once and for all. As a mom I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his lack of a record on the plight of women's financial struggles. Here is my more fulsome view of the issues. As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay at home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Economy
  1. Reality Check

Lets get real people!! Rosen's intent was to lay the groundwork for the Obama's class warfare campaign strategy. Class warfare is going to be the main strategy of the Obama campaign because his record of accomplishment is so flimsy. Once Obamacare is struck down Obama will have no choice but to rail against the Republican's in Congress and the wealthy for keeping everyone else down uin this country. The naive youth who bought his message of "Change that Count's etc.." will not fall for the same Hokum this time around.

April 12, 2012 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  2. bethany

Shame on Wolf Blitzer for his interview with Hilary Rosen. I can't believe him telling her "he didn't hear an apology"
    Good grief man, grow some backbone.

April 12, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  3. brew987

Same crap different year.

April 12, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. Susan

I understood completely what Hilary Rosen was saying. This is a tempest in a teapot and CNN is trying to capitalize on it by creating a controversy. I particularly did not like Wolf Blitzer's conversation with Hilary Rosen today. He was argumentative and was trying to bully her. He simply would not let go and I felt he was obnoxious. Talk about inequality; I have sincere doubts that Wolf Blitzer would have treated a male in the same fashion. Ms. Rosen, to her credit, held her own. Most of the women on CNN fawn over Blitzer which leads me to believe he is a force to be reckoned who wages considerable power behind the scenes. He's a type, unfortunately, that I recognize from my own corporate days.

April 12, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. Ken in MO

I am guessing here but my guess is that she had nannies, maids, etc. to help her. Not to belittle her...I am surely jealous!!!

Ms. Rosen simply meant that Mrs. Romeny has no idea what many American women face...going to work every day, coming home, cooking, cleaning and trying to make ends meet. She was not try to belittle her in anyway. Most women do NOT have millions of dollars to fall back on. I think her observation was right on the mark. The Romneys have no idea how the "average" person lives, thinks or feels. That does not make them bad people...but they just dont. Period.

April 12, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  6. ERIC STANWAY

Enough! We all know that RICH women don't have to work outside the home. We all know that everyone else has to hold down a JOB as well as WORK just to pay the bills. I've had enough of this garbage crocodile-tears, "oh no I work so hard raising my five boys." NONSENSE. Just say it once and for all - I'm RICH and never had to work a day IN MY LIFE because my husband got so much money through his underhanded financial dealings. If Romney hopes to capture the White House, he has to do a whole lot better than this.

April 12, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  7. louiselouise

But, she's right. Being a homemaker is a very honourable job, but it doesn't make you an authority on the economy. If she has some other qualifications, then let's hear them.

April 12, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  8. EJ

How many nannies does this hard working stay at home mommy have at her beck and call....please, its clear what Ms. Rosen meant....

April 12, 2012 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. studdmuffins

Only sorry because she got called out on it. The 4th estate once again fails in its primary fiduciary responsibility.

April 12, 2012 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  10. BillSD33

Let's get back to the real issue here. Every time Mitt is asked about a women's issue, he wishes his wife was there to answer the question. Hillary is pointing out that the Romney's have never really had to deal with the suffering that women today go through. Unless you want to count whether to add an elevator for your car, we all go through that don't we?

April 12, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  11. Donnie the Lion

"... I am a conservative woman who is self-employed and my employees all have health Insurance and a Retirement plan. and I gladly give away far more than the Government wants to take from me." I've worked for 5 companies since 2004, NONE have provided me with health insurance or a retirement plan. Why? They can't afford to. Welcome to the average worker's world, madam.

April 12, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. ks

Just another example of how exceptionally left leaning the media is. You idiots at CNN don't even try to pretend to be unbiased anymore. Might as well declare Obama the winner in the 2012 election now. You people disgust me. What happened to the ethics that used to be considered a part of proper journalism? You are nothing but Obama shills. This is why I turn increasingly to the internet, blogs, etc. because I know exactly the kind of cr@p I'll hear at MSNBCCBSCNN before I ever turn to your channel or type in your URL.

April 12, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  13. bella

if you can afford to stay home with your children DO IT
    I Love it :) It is not easy by any means and thank God I am able to do it. They are only little once I an can live my life with no regrets
    Who cares if Ann stayed home, she was able to and she chose to, so good for her. With all the money they had she could have gone to work and hired 2 nannys BUT SHE DID NOT
    GO ROMNEY

April 12, 2012 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  14. peter martinez

I think Michelle is a SAHM

April 12, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  15. Ramrod

An apology implies that she is a motor mouth. I am disappointed.
    I feel so sorry for the rich women; they have to supervise maids.
    I think Romney and his wife should teach the hard working going nowhere women of America how to amass large amounts of cash in Cayman Island Banks or at least in a local Credit Union. In the Mormon Church they only teach them how to obey men.

April 12, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  16. Linda

Ann Romney worked just as hard as any woman raising 5 kids, but she doesn't have a clue what it is like to raise kids, manage home with bills to pay and work a full time job to pay the bills and put food on the table and some of these single moms have to hold down 2 jobs.....so Ann Romney has no idea nor does Mitt Romney have any idea what these workiing women, raising their family are facing and how much harder they have had to work to make ends meet and keep their family together......the Romneys are clueless.........that doesn't mean Ann Romney didn't work hard but I find it hard to believe that she didn't have Nanny's and maids to manage their many many million dollar homes.

April 12, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  17. sonnyofthemeek

Rosen should read this by: Sonny Rice-
    Imagine This Mother’s Day – Life Without Mother’s
    Ever stop to think what life would be like without Mother’s giving birth,
    There would still be flowers, rivers, sunrise, sunset, without man on earth.
    Without man on earth sounds pretty sad to me,
    Then you would have to say Mother’s should be treated reverently.
    Hug your Mom and treat her with care,
    For without her love, you would not be here.
    Do not add to her burdens or grief,
    Instead be her supporter and relief.
    Live each day with her in your mind,
    Also respecting all of her kind.
    Every Mom deserves better then they get,
    Though no matter what they love you yet.
    Mother’s Day should be every day of the year,
    For the greatest shame should be causing her to tear

April 12, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. Charles Bowen

If thats all the Repulselicans can find to complain about they have too much money and no idea how the rest of the 99% of americans live... So why would anyone in their right mind vote for a party who's motto is "It's all about Me and let them eat cake......remember i said Right Mind....The Republicans have plundered americas wealth and stopped the Governmental Process and now they want to put this clown Romney and his worker wife in the White House........Charles Bowen Solomon Stone

April 12, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  19. Sra. Julia

What a bunch of BS .... the spin docs have had a ball with this and more will be on the way so sit back tighten your seatbelt and prepare for a rough ride. My take on this is this is big deal about NOTHING! A. Ann has never been employed outside the home she has no credentials as an economic advisor yet Mitt quotes her frequently so HE brought her into this issue.
    This super sensitive stuff is just a red herring to take heat off of "Mittens". JMHO your MMV.

April 12, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  20. Donkeybuster

Democrats love humanity, but hate people.

How is it that Obama calls me wealthy for making more than 200k a year, but claims that when he and Michelle were making 480k a year they "didn't have the luxury of michelle staying at home."

If money was so tight for you Barry when you were pulling in a half million, why do you repeatedly insist the worker making 200k needs to pay mor taxes?

This guy just make stuff up as they go along

April 12, 2012 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  21. john

and the Dems say the GOP has a "War on Women". This war is a Democratic manufactured thing. Only war is the one on Republican women. We see the Dems true colors. They show them from time to time.

April 12, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  22. Ladyguest

All womens' roles are tough. We are looked up to and looked to for many things, none of which may come naturally to us.

April 12, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  23. Charlotte

Whoa! Now I'm not a Romney supporter, but I was a stay-at-home mom for 27 years and what you said about us was just plain ignorant. I had two kids, my father, and my husband to take care of. We lived on my husbands student loans and my dad's Social Security for five years. I home schooled both of my kids for several years because the public schools were so bad in the area we lived. You, like Hillary Clinton before you, have a lot of nerve even suggesting we do nothing, that raising children is not work, that we have no connection with "working" women or that all we do is stay home and bake cookies and drink tea (I'm paraphrasing Mrs. Clinton here). My blood is boiling and I more than resent your words. You, a woman, should learn to respect those who choose a different path and stop stereotyping and pigeonholing people. And to say in your apology that we have no connection to economic issues is just absurd. Who buys the groceries? Who takes care of the family budget most of the time? Who is trying to find the money to send little Jamie to swimming lessons? Rich or not, you have no idea how much work Mrs. Romney did in raising those kids. You are the one out of touch and spending too much time in the spin zone of campaigning and not enough time in the real world. I'm ashamed I was ever a Democrat and, right now, I'll be damned if i ever vote for one again.

April 12, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  24. Steve

That was not an apology. And she will not offer a real one because of her views of what is right for Women. She is a liberal who frowns at stay at home Moms. Mrs. Romney is not playing any political games. She is standing up for moms that chose to stay home and raise their kids. Hilary Rosen is playing politics for Obama by this back handed apology. We know where they stand on Women issues.

April 12, 2012 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |