April 12th, 2012

Rosen apologizes over comments against Ann Romney

(CNN) – Hilary Rosen offered an apology Thursday after her comments about Ann Romney sparked an uproar and a debate over women and the economy.

"I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended," Rosen, a top Democratic strategist and CNN contributor, said in a statement. "Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

The previous day, Rosen argued Ann Romney could not understand the struggles of women in the sluggish workforce because she "never worked a day in her life" as a stay-at-home mother.

Her comments quickly set off a spiraling controversy, as high-profile leaders on both sides of the aisle rushed to the defense of Ann Romney and that of women opting not to pursue their careers to solely focus on raising their children.

Read the full statement below:

"Let's put the faux 'war against stay at home moms' to rest once and for all. As a mom I know that raising children is the hardest job there is. As a pundit, I know my words on CNN last night were poorly chosen. In response to Mitt Romney on the campaign trail referring to his wife as a better person to answer questions about women than he is, I was discussing his lack of a record on the plight of women's financial struggles. Here is my more fulsome view of the issues. As a partner in a firm full of women who work outside of the home as well as stay at home mothers, all with plenty of children, gender equality is not a talking point for me. It is an issue I live every day. I apologize to Ann Romney and anyone else who was offended. Let's declare peace in this phony war and go back to focus on the substance."

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Economy
  1. Aaron

Get out...raising kids is the hardest job?? are you kidding me maybe 3,000 years ago p

April 12, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. yuri pelham

She obviously meant workplace... you know where you have a boss or are a boss, you are out there in the economy... what you call a paying job. To be married to the word's biggest phoney ( and women know) now that's what I call labor. Score another victory for political correctness.

April 12, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. Robbin

Ann Romney has never worked...so what did she say wrong>

April 12, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. WorkingMomof3

The words were poorly selected BUT the point is important. If Romney's information about women is coming from his wife who is an upper class full-time stay-at-home Mom he needs other sources of information. He needs to talk to single working mothers, middle class working mothers, working mothers who have husbands deployed to the middle east. This isn't a debate about who has the harder job it's about gaining a well rounded perspective. Having your point of reference for all women be an upper class privileged woman who was fortunate enough to be able to afford to stay home with her boys is not something that can be generalized to MOST women in the US.

I am sure Ann Romney is a very lovely woman and a great Mother but I can guarantee she has no idea what it's like to walk in my shoes or many other working mother's shoes. Would Ann Romney elected not to work if they weren't wealthy? What if she had to give up her horses, houses, and cars and raise her boys in a housing project? I'm not begrudging her for being wealthy, simply pointing out that she does not represent the typical American woman.

April 12, 2012 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. Anonymous

From Oblameo's mouth to Ms. Rosen's loose lips

White House visitor logs indicate that “Hilary Rosen” visited the White House 35 times

April 12, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. paul

In this case, Rosen is correct. Having a stay at home rich mom speak for the troubles working mothers and families have is ridiculous. I was a (male) singlr parent, had to work and raise my daughter alone. I couldn't afford nannies or even baby sitters. Romney does not speak for my troubles.

April 12, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. David

The ironic thing is, she has probably worked harder in her life before Obama, before entering the Senate and ultimately the Presidency.

April 12, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. lovefiction

From Oblameo's mouth to Ms. Rosen's loose lips

April 12, 2012 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. Julia

This is an apology? More like another stump for her to speak from. And for the record, I'm a working woman who never had children and have worked pretty much full time since BEFORE I graduated from college. No silver spoons, but no big fan of folks who make stupid comments like this and wrap a purported apology in a canned speech.

April 12, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  10. Chicago Mom

I don't consider her statement an apology, not with that "faux war" quip. I have worked FT and I have been a SAHM. As a SAHM, I am responsible for caring for and raising our children, I am responsible for maintaining our home and finances. I make important decisions regarding how to pay our bills and send our children to college. I research market trends, rates and taxes. I chose to live in a smaller home, with a cheaper car and less "things" so I could be there for my kids. When I have worked FT or PT, the benefits to working were far smaller than hoped considering an increase in income raises your families tax rate and increases expenses in regards to travel, clothing, daycare, etc. I want to thank Hilary for inspiring me and many other SAHMs to become more involved in this campaign.

April 12, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  11. SoSad

Most mothers work full time or part time, with NO NANNIES nor do they have TWO CADILLACS nor others to take care of them. BUT that's here choice, ask MRS ROMNEY he she balances the check book? I think not. Her mormen job is to give birth, take care of the family, raise the kids, that's all. She's probably good at child rearing and that's it!

April 12, 2012 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  12. gr8usa

@Sherry, did you have housekeepers (for your multiple homes) and nannies? I agree that being a working class or middle class mom (working in or outside the home) has it's extreme challenges. I doubt, however, the very wealthy completely understand what we actually do each day to keep our families together.

April 12, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. flickerman

She meant workplace, a paying job. Now real labor is having to live with someone who lies a lot and you have to cover for him. Now that's WORK.

April 12, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. damo12345

Pity she had to apologize for a poorly-worded blatant truth.

Ann Romney is a woman of wealth and privilege who likes Cadillacs so much she decided she couldn't make do with just one. Yes, she's a "stay at home wife and mother," but she's the stay at home wife of a corporate giant and the mother of children who have never known any economic hardship. Ann has never struggled to make ends meet, and could always throw money money and more money at any problems she faced as a mother. I'm sorry, but it's an insult to all the struggling stay-at-home parents in America to compare them to a woman that lives in a world of chauffers and dining with heads of state, not a world of having to choose between meeting car payments or filing up the gas tank before heading home to heat up some mac-and-cheese.

I don't begrudge Ann her lifestyle, but it's nothing short of ridiculous for Mitt to pretend that he knows what most American women face because he has a wife.

April 12, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  15. jude

mr and mrs romney are both jobless..yet still have millions in the bank, or banks so mr can persue something on his bucketist. only fools would support this man who lives in a castle and has no clue.

April 12, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  16. Chris

While that was not a smart thing to say, she was speaking the truth. Being able to be a stay at home mom in this economy is a luxury. Most women need to find care during the day while they go to work along with their husbands to make ends meet. I'm sure all mothers would love to stay home with their children but the reality is that the majority of families can't afford that, something the Romney's have never had to worry about.

April 12, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  17. john

In 2008 Rosen said that she supported Michelle rasing her kids and standing behind her husband. hmmm...I guess she only meant dem women – The left also attacked Palin for working and not being able to take care of her kids and one with downs

April 12, 2012 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  18. blake

The only thing that Ms. Rosen is sorry about is that her comment backfired. She is an avowed feminist and believes every word that she spoke. She represents well Obam's and the Democratic party's view of women, which does not represent most women in this country.

April 12, 2012 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  19. John 3:16

A Multi Millionaire's spouse is not "an average American" Period......

April 12, 2012 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  20. test

Rosen is an ex executive of RIAA who sues children and a milionaire.

April 12, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. Kevin

I am pleased that she apologized; she was insensitive, rude and wrong. What I fear is that most liberals don't consider homemakers "workers", even though they may not bring a paycheck, much less a large paycheck such as that received by Hillary Rosen. My mother was a school teacher but stopped to raise 9 children; I don't remember a time when she was not working or resting from work. This distorted view of feminism should not be swept under the rug, just because Rosen has apologized; a debate about the legitimate roles of women in American society ought to be held so that equal respect for every role is recognized.

April 12, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  22. Seyedibar

Seems pretty relevant to me that a presidential candidate married a lazy woman. It speaks less about her and more about Romney and how he perceives women.

April 12, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  23. SoSad

Bill from New York said it all, use common sense people
    She had nothing to apologize for. Mrs. Romney is trying to make it seem like she was at home slaving over hot pots and changing diapers, but the reality is that she had(has) maids and nannies the whole way(Hey I've got two car elevators in my house). Just like those phoney balony Romneys trying to connect only to disconnect even more.
    from New York said it perfectly!

April 12, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  24. Lee

Now all the conservatives are lining up to support me; no more "anybody but Romney canidates". And that has nothing to do with St. Rick dropping out. Thank you Ms. Rosen.
    (Signed)
    Mitt Romney

April 12, 2012 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  25. bob

Rosen can drop dead and burn in hell

April 12, 2012 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |