Nugent threatens death if Obama wins in November
April 17th, 2012

Nugent threatens death if Obama wins in November

(CNN) – Rocker Ted Nugent did little to quell his reputation as a conservative firebrand through comments at the National Rifle Association convention when he took aim (pun intended) at high profile members of the Barack Obama administration and voiced support for presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

The Romney-backer, musician, activist, NRA board member and tea party figure encouraged an NRA audience over the weekend to help oust the current administration.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"If Barack Obama becomes the president in November again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year," Nugent said, according to a video posted on YouTube by the NRA. "If you can't go home and get everybody in your lives to clean house in this vile, evil America hated administration, I don't even know what you're made out of."

He accused the government of "wiping its ass with the Constitution you're living under a rock some place" and labeled members of the Obama administration, including the vice president, attorney general and secretary of state "criminals."

"We need to ride into that battlefield and chop their heads off in November. Am I, any questions?" Nugent said.

This is not the first time Nugent has vividly espoused his views. In fact, the NRA has a section of its website devoted to some of his statements, including profanity-laced comments and threats directed at then candidates Obama and Hillary Clinton during the last election cycle.

Responding to the comments from Nugent, who announced his support for the former Massachusetts governor in March, Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul said "Divisive language is offensive no matter what side of the political aisle it comes from."

"Mitt Romney believes everyone needs to be civil," she added.

Saul's reaction followed a call from Democratic National Committee Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz to denounce the remarks. Wasserman Schultz sent out an email to supporters on Tuesday to solicit donations off the comments she called "despicable, deplorable and completely beyond the pale."

"Romney's surrogates should know better than to rally the troops with outrageous rhetoric that is unacceptable in our political debate," the Florida representative said in a statement. "Mitt Romney must condemn Nugent's violent and hateful rhetoric immediately, as it has no place in our political discourse or this campaign."

Also see:

House election committees add millions to coffers

Romney ready for November fight: 'It's going to be fun'

Romney says he wouldn't transport dog on roof again

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
soundoff (1,527 Responses)
  1. Bob Lewis

He should be in jail just for his cringe inducing. trite, boring guitar playing.

April 17, 2012 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. anagram_kid

Well at least he and I are on the same page in that at this time next year he will not be a productive member of society. However, this is no different than his standing today.

Seriously, is there no one close enough to this person to get him the help he obviously needs? People who are this angry and paranoid usually have some mental imbalance.

April 17, 2012 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. foxniose

I won't be sad if this idiot is dead or in jail by next year. Someone as radical as him is a threat to everyone who doesn't share his views.

April 17, 2012 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Punctus

Yet ANOTHER reason to vote for Obama!

April 17, 2012 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  5. tomnikoly

Actually I liked some of his music. How it could be produced by such a nauseating human being is a mystery to me.

April 17, 2012 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. Eastcoast Mike

Sadly, the NRA and it's members love this kind of blather. I hope Nugent keeps his promise when Obama wins by a landslide in November. Ted, you and your kind won't be missed.

April 17, 2012 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Maria

This man is pure evil. His opinion is dangerous and should be taken seriously by the secret service.

April 17, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  8. IQ173

I never cared for his music either ,,,, but I do agree with him about this administration...

April 17, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  9. Pot Calling Kettle Radical

Looking forward to Nugent offing himself in November! Yay!

April 17, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  10. jake

just keep talking teddi, you and rush just keep talking and Obama will win for sure. your music sucked in the 70s. your a draft dodging lunitac. dead or in jail? either way is fine by me although i prefer the former. OBAMA 2012!

April 17, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. Joi Gibson

Imbecile!!! Don't let the dirt hit you in the a$$

OBAMA/BIDEN/FIRST LADY MICHELLE 2012!!!

April 17, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. Grady

that's it...i am burning all my Ted Nugent albums...oops I forgot, I don't OWN any Ted Nugent albums....
    there is definetly a "stranglehold baby" around his brain...

April 17, 2012 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. Evil Hollywood Liberal

Ted Nugent is a buffoon. I'd wager that if pressed, he cannot name a single 'freedom' he's lost since 1/20/09. And, his music has sucked for decades. I don't wish death upon him, but his would be one obituary i'd be plenty pleased to read.

April 17, 2012 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  14. Really obvious points and questions

Has anyone noticed how painfully slow the CNN moderators have become in posting comments through to the site? Oh, right, my comments aren't in lockstep support of Obama.

April 17, 2012 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  15. mark

What a raving nut case – fits into the NRA well.

April 17, 2012 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  16. Drew

Ted is wack and if he is dead or in prison I certainly won't miss his brand of psyco consevatism.

April 17, 2012 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  17. Ronda in Houston,TX

How can someone be so sour? He's a pure nut case.

OBAMA 2012!!!

April 17, 2012 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  18. Me IN HOUSTON

WE SHALL OVERCOME

April 17, 2012 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  19. Dorothy

WOW, where is the outage from Ann Coulter and The Country & Western Music community? Remember how the Dixie Chicks were treated? And their comment “Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas.” does not even compare to what Ted Nugent has said.

April 17, 2012 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  20. MTATL67

November services can be so nice...my condolences to Mr. Nugent’s family. I am sure they are going to miss him.

April 17, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  21. anagram_kid

WiredweirdinSF wrote, “Love the name calling libs…” followed by …”the weirdos, crooks, dope smokers and welfare frauds…” The funniest part is when you ended your post with the word ‘hypocrisy’. Another sad example of 'conservative logic' at work.

April 17, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  22. IQ173

Romney is not My Hero....

so who is? the community organizer,the one who had all his records sealed so you or I could not look into his past?
    you must have a lot of heroes....

April 17, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  23. David in Houston

Welcome to the GOP...

April 17, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  24. Scott M.

And to think I actually used to like this guy's music. I seriously wonder what all the hatred is about... Obama has basically done whatever the republicans have asked him to do, thus garnering the questions about his lack of backbone from the left. Then he passes Obamacare and starts talking about fairness in the taxcode and the right wants him dead. This is ridiculous. I'm certainly not a huge Obama fan (for the backbone reason) but this hatred and disrespect has gone so far beyond what Bush II went through.. Back then we just called him dumb; we knew it was Rove and Cheney who were the evil ones. But the vitriol spewed against Obama from both sides is remarkable, and I can't help but think it subconsciously has to do with race. Can't prove it obviously, but why else? Sure the political environment is more toxic than ever, but really, why? If anyone has a better reason I'd love to hear it but I really think that's it. Deep-seeded fear of a black man in power.

April 17, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  25. Larry Pooface

Now another reason we need Obama to win in November. Ted, if you pick prison over death, remember the wise words you once wrot: "when in doubt, whip it out."

April 17, 2012 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62