Romney: Obama should 'suck it up'
April 18th, 2012

Romney: Obama should 'suck it up'

(CNN) - Mitt Romney drew new contrasts with President Barack Obama on Wednesday by targeting the president's fondness for golf and vacations with his family.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee said Obama's golf trips make him "scratch his head."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I must admit, I scratch my head at the capacity of the president to take four hours off on such a regular basis to go golfing," Romney told WLW Radio in Cincinnati, responding to a question about the president's hobbies. "I would think you could kind of suck it up for four years particularly when the American people are out of work."

When asked about vacations taken by the Obama family, who travel to the president's native Hawaii annually, Romney said his family would not use four or eight years in the White House to "see the world." Instead, the former Massachusetts governor said he would frequent Camp David, the presidential retreat in the Catoctin Mountain Park of Frederick County, Maryland.

"I think one of the great resources that the president enjoys is Camp David," Romney said, after the host referenced a recent trip by Obama's eldest daughter Malia to Mexico. "I would anticipate if I were fortunate enough to become elected president that I'd be spending some time at Camp David, and my family and I would not be jetting around the world and using four years in office to see the world."

Obama has admittedly not used the grounds as much as his predecessors but is scheduled to host the G-8 summit there in May.

"Somebody pointed out that I hadn't had any of my counterparts, who I've worked with now for three years, up to Camp David," Obama told reporters in March. "I think that the weather should be good that time of year."

Team Obama did not immediately respond to a request for comment following Romney's interview.

Also see:

Nugent threatens death if Obama wins in November

Romney campaign 'bracketing' aims to 'step on president's message'

Dems, Republicans make their picks in election to replace Giffords

CNN Poll of Polls: All knotted up between Obama and Romney

Romney chimes in on Secret Service, GSA

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. Bergerdrum

Bush II set the record for "time off" for a sitting president.
    I don't love Obama...I just like accuracy and pointing out hypocrisy when I see it.

April 19, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. SlowGun

Really?
    This is what Mitt talks about on radio & TV...really Mitt.
    I'm still waiting for him to offer a plan for Job Creation, or maybe Healthcare or Energy Policy
    Anything on any real issue would be nice...come on Mitt enough is enough.
    Tell us your plans...if you actually have any? (or are you waiting for your economic advisore,your wife, to tell you what they should be)

April 19, 2012 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  3. CaliforniaBC

Oh my god...what a joke!! Romney would be taking vacation after vacation. He'd be jetting off to his multiple homes around the country on the taxpayers' dime. And those "jetting around the world" trips were to repair the country's image after 8 years of ruiin and to push Americna foreign policy AND open up more markets for US goods.

It's too bad Romney can't comprehend that this is part of the President's job. And if doesn't understand what the job the President of the United States is then perhaps he shouldn't be applying for the job.

Mr. Romney needs to staop acting like a child with these little "pack your bags" and "suck it up" comments and make a concerted effort to propose some SUBSTANCE. Let's see what he will do SPECIFICALLY then he can criticize Obama. Until then Romney needs to just grow up.

April 19, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. SlowGun

Obama really hasn't taken that much time off.
    He is waiting for the worst hurrican in history to hit the gulf coast, and then he'll take sometime off.

April 19, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  5. mac70016

Romney has all the answers. problem is he doesn't know what the question is!!
    .....and since he is concerned over Obama's vacations with his family, which of Romney's three houses is he going to live in, while most americans are struggling with one house payments??

April 19, 2012 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. Evangenital

Everything is coming up roses for Obama and Stiff Mitt is the best one of all.

These statements are not fitting for a candidate that aspires to be the president of our country. I know the Tea Party feels this is fine, but regular folks don't.

April 19, 2012 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  7. Jim Hahn

Mitt's search for something, anything, that will keep him in the news.

April 19, 2012 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  8. 1ofTheFallen

The Obamas vacations have cost $$$ 10's Millions more than Bush. Bush went to his isolated ranch and did a lot of work but the security details were very small. Laura only took 1 vacation a year to Washingston state with friends at a isolated cabin for hiking. Very low cost for security.
    The Obamas flew their dog in another plane to Martha's Vineyard and Michelle's trip to Spain with $1000 night rooms cost taxpayers $$$MILLIONS as well as her trip to Vail and South Africa. Not mentioning Michelles 23 assistants while most 1st Lady's had only 1 or 2 assistants.

TRANSPARENCY – failed, Create millions of jobs – failed, Balance the Budget – failed, End Wars – failed, Close Guantanamo – failed, Cheaper HealthCare – failed, Bring the country together – failed. Gov waste of Millions of Taxpayer dollars, 16 Vacations, $$$ 10's of Millions in vacations, Dates to New York on Air Force One, $600 Sneakers at the food bank, More Golf than Tiger Woods.

April 19, 2012 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. Hassan Tongun

I have been so busy for long time because I have a family like my beloved persident, the only differences between me and him is that, perisdent Obama has a huge responsiblitiy in addition to his family, that is to run this (country). When he came to the office he found a big mass that any one of those who claim to be better than him should not sweep it up. And I think the problem with those who crticzed him because they do not want to see a black person in the office. Not because persident Obama has no experince in the business. otherwsie they should tell us who from our pass persidents came to the office with the experince?

April 19, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. Nodack

Let the political circus begin.

Campaigns based on what the candidates plan on doing about our problems? Not a chance. Campaigns built around attacking each other? Of course.

April 19, 2012 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. NotFooledByDistractions

What freakin' phoney. Romney is the most dishonest and cynical candidate of my lifetime. Hey willard, how about instead of peddling your empty criticisms you give us an idea of your plan for the nation? Or aren't we privy to the secrets because we can't pony up big enough donations? Instead of worrying about the Presidents golf game, or the first familys vacations, how about you let us in on your secret agenda to save the nation? Romney turns my stomach.

April 19, 2012 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. Mom to 3

And this from the man who has not even held a job in years?!? Romney doesn't have to work because he is so incredibly wealthy, but he could spend his time working for a charity. Why doesn't he "suck it up"? ONE vacation a year with his famiy is quite reasonable (Bush was at his ranch all the time - he took the most vacation of any President on record). Occasional exercise (golf) is healthy. President Obama is obviously hard-working and Romney's criticism looks desperate and pathetic.

April 19, 2012 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |