Romney: Obama should 'suck it up'
April 18th, 2012

Romney: Obama should 'suck it up'

(CNN) - Mitt Romney drew new contrasts with President Barack Obama on Wednesday by targeting the president's fondness for golf and vacations with his family.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I must admit, I scratch my head at the capacity of the president to take four hours off on such a regular basis to go golfing," Romney told WLW Radio in Cincinnati, responding to a question about the president's hobbies. "I would think you could kind of suck it up for four years particularly when the American people are out of work."

When asked about vacations taken by the Obama family, who travel to the president's native Hawaii annually, Romney said his family would not use four or eight years in the White House to "see the world." Instead, the former Massachusetts governor said he would frequent Camp David, the presidential retreat in the Catoctin Mountain Park of Frederick County, Maryland.

"I think one of the great resources that the president enjoys is Camp David," Romney said, after the host referenced a recent trip by Obama's eldest daughter Malia to Mexico. "I would anticipate if I were fortunate enough to become elected president that I'd be spending some time at Camp David, and my family and I would not be jetting around the world and using four years in office to see the world."

Obama has admittedly not used the grounds as much as his predecessors but is scheduled to host the G-8 summit there in May.

"Somebody pointed out that I hadn't had any of my counterparts, who I've worked with now for three years, up to Camp David," Obama told reporters in March. "I think that the weather should be good that time of year."

Team Obama did not immediately respond to a request for comment following Romney's interview.

Also see:

Nugent threatens death if Obama wins in November

Romney campaign 'bracketing' aims to 'step on president's message'

Dems, Republicans make their picks in election to replace Giffords

CNN Poll of Polls: All knotted up between Obama and Romney

Romney chimes in on Secret Service, GSA

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. CanadaONE

a little square mustash under his nose – and who does he look like??

after all these years did AH come back as as Mormon???

say it is no so!

April 18, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. steven harnack

Then he should be bald from scratching his head after 8 years of Bush on vacation, unless he's just a hypocritical whiner.

April 18, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  3. Another Day in the RW Idiot Mines

"What are the 3 things you can't give Obama?

1.) A black eye.

2.) A fat lip.

3.) A job"

Behold Rich54, a racist pos. Also known as the GOBP base.

April 18, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  4. SF

To: rla

Folks– Bush is ANCIENT histoty Obama is worse than Bush so throw himout and lets keep doing that until we get a leader not a campaigner in chief. Also if you think about it we don't need a divider in chief either or a president with an enemies list!

----------

Obama was worse than bush? what universe do you live in? this is a prime example of the right wing delusionals/idiots. And my dear, the enemy list was created by YOUR side!

April 18, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  5. SF

so this is part of campaigning? I WANT TO HEAR SOLUTIONS NOT PERSONAL INSULTS OF THE POTUS!!!...i haven't heard ONE productive or well thought out plan from ANY republican since i don't know when!

April 18, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. TeacherTeacher

As I recall, plenty of GOP Presidents went golfing. The Bushes went to Maine and back to the ranch in Texas.....give me a break! As someone still sitting on the fence on who to vote for, this kind of stupidity from Romney sure knocks him down a couple of pegs.
    Hey Mitt! Talk about REAL ideas! Knock off the sound bite crap....one thing I can say for Newt, at least he talks about real ideas and solutions...I don't agree with them all, but at least it shows he is THINKING.

April 18, 2012 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  7. Nevis Mn

Maybe Obama should strap his dog to the top of the car and take a driving vacation.

April 18, 2012 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. Logic N LA

Cell phones, laptops, staff- all means of Obama keeping in touch on a golf course and he still has taken less time Than BUSH JR vacations. Mitt needs to find real issues to run on.

April 18, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  9. Iconoclast

Well at least Mitt has some experience with this issue. He is after all the biggest "suck up" that has ever walked this Earth. Wonder how Romney will suck it up after the biggest republican trashing ever that's coming in November. Hope he leads the reactionary right wing revolution right into oblivion.

April 18, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  10. John Reinking

Perhaps Mr. Romney would invite the President to one of his golf games (perhaps including Speaker Boehner.) Romney, just another cheap shot from a politician who has no credible plans for us or our place in the world. Good grief, Romney, show a little class. Oh, where were his condemnations of "GW" so often at his "ranch", or Mr.Reagans frequent trips to his?

April 18, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

"The presumptive Republican presidential nominee said Obama's golf trips make him "scratch his head."

Uh oh - look out America. Mitt's dusting off his general election anti Obama rhetoric for prime time sillyness...

April 18, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. Cody

II'm just glad Mitt could offer such profound insights on the tough issues here.

April 18, 2012 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  13. KLDGBB

Every president takes time off and the opposing party and the media always criticize that president for it. It is pure idiocy. Besides, what is the difference where the president takes time off? All presidents deserve some down time with their families. IF (and hopefully that's a big "IF") Romney is elected and he chooses to spend his down time at Camp David, that is his choice and I would not criticize any president for taking some time off. If the Obama's prefer international travel, so be it. I have been to Camp David and it is nice but limited and for me it would be boring to go there every time. Try talking about what policy decisions you would make as president, Romney. Tell us your actual positions on issues instead of critcizing President Obama and his family for enjoying some travel.

April 18, 2012 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  14. Sal

And like the republican president Eisenhower didn't go golfing every chance he got. I remember that Ike was noted for his golfing trips! Obama isn't the only one for your information! 

April 18, 2012 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  15. Len Smith

Romney is out of place and has no understanding of the job of the President of the United States of America. God forbid that he even should come close to being elected, he is so into himself as everything he does in the best. Just which flip flop will he say is the best. President Obama is President of the United States of American 24/7 and don't you forget it Romney.

April 18, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  16. Mikey

So Mitt attacks Bama because his daughter went to Mexico? Really Mitt??
    As for Bama's time off where was Mitt when W set the record for vacations?

April 18, 2012 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  17. Vern

Oh please, just because George went to Crawford and called it a working vacation, I call BS!!!!

April 18, 2012 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  18. Dave

Sure Mitt.... I'm certain you were every bit as critical of George W Bush every time he flew back to Crawford, TX to do some land clearing or bike riding. Gee, I think he hit the links quite a bit too.... Cut the partisan crap please.........

April 18, 2012 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  19. NJ-Bob49

If anyone thinks Romney is telling the truth, well, I've got this bridge I'd like to sell you.

April 18, 2012 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  20. Oh Please

This is rich as in Mitt Romney rich. So curious that the Romneys value family but don't think the Obamas should enjoy a family vacation to the place Obama considers home. It is convenient that Ann is the stay at home mom for five middle aged men, so they won't have to make these kind of choices.

April 18, 2012 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  21. eMan

Where was this doofus when Bush was golfing and going to Crawford Texas ??? Romney is a loser IMO...

April 18, 2012 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  22. Waddell

What a piece of slime, this twit. He should talk. How big a house is he expanding upon? How large and expensive is the multi-car elevator? When is the last time this man held a real job? All he has is time. He is so full of himself and his bluster he has no idea how disgusting he really is. He's been playing with running for president for so many years I can't recall when he wasn't running for president. He is a ruthless, malicious, small minded privileged man who cashed in on his father's name. he has never hit a pothole in his life. If he is elected, this country is sinking into the abyss and we may as well give up and let Wall Street and the entire financial world have it's way. Romney does not care one iota about the common man. All he wants is the "win", the delegats, the power. He has no clue what to do. Oh, wait, of course he has a plan. "GET RID" of departments, get rid of the jobs that go with those departments, PRIVITIZE anything he can get his hands wrapped around and the hell with the displaced workers. He is one of the most repulsive individuals I have ever had to endure on the airwaves. I have to believe that the majority of Americans are not stupid, naive and uninformed enough to allow this creepy, lying, heartless unemployed and over compensated individual to become our president. If we do, we will rue the day. If you vote for this guy, you may as well hand ALL the keys to our government over to the hedge guys and other financial thieves. This entire picture gives me nightmares. I am not religious, but I pray he will be pummeled by the enlightened, informed and street-wise Americans. If anyone should be sucking it up, it's this lazy spoiled rotten son of a biscuit eater. I have to stop. He makes me sick to my stomach. The Republican party is a dying breed. They are destined to implode. They and Romney are the true enemies of this land.

April 18, 2012 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  23. Mark in Seattle

Taking lessons from the alaska quitter on sounding presidential I see. "Man up" coming next Mitty?

April 18, 2012 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Well, at least when Obama takes a vacation, he doesn't strap a dog to his roof.

April 18, 2012 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  25. BunnyBunny

I have plenty of good work conversations on the golf course. It's a great way to come up with new ideas.

April 18, 2012 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |