April 18th, 2012

Ted Nugent to be interviewed by Secret Service

(CNN) – Ted Nugent, the rocker whose comments about President Barack Obama have come under scrutiny, will be interviewed by agents with the Secret Service, a U.S. official said Wednesday.

The interview, scheduled for Thursday, comes amid outcry over comments Nugent made at the annual meeting of the National Rifle Association, which took place in St. Louis this past weekend.

"If Barack Obama becomes the president in November again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year," Nugent said, according to a video posted on YouTube by the NRA. "If you can't go home and get everybody in your lives to clean house in this vile, evil, America-hating administration, I don't even know what you're made out of."

Many have questioned whether Nugent was alluding to violence against the president in his remarks.

U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, the chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, solicited donations from supporters using the comments, calling them "despicable, deplorable and completely beyond the pale."

In a radio interview Wednesday, Nugent said he was looking forward to meeting with the agents.

"We actually have heard from the Secret Service, and they have a duty, and I salute them, I support them," Nugent said on Glenn Beck's radio show. "I'm looking forward to our meeting tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be a fine gathering backstage in Oklahoma."

The U.S. official said the Secret Service would not issue a statement, nor publicly provide details of what transpires during the interview, after the meeting with Nugent.

The official said Secret Service policy is to acknowledge every American's right to free speech while still determining an individual's intent.

Nugent, like any interviewee, is allowed to bring a lawyer.

Nugent's comments sparked particular furor because the musician and activist has endorsed GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Romney campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul responded to comments from Nugent on Tuesday, saying "divisive language is offensive no matter what side of the political aisle it comes from."

"Mitt Romney believes everyone needs to be civil," she added.

Also see:

Romney to deliver Liberty University commencement speech

Obama and Biden fundraise on opposite coast

Longtime GOP senator faces major test

March haul aides DSCC's largest fundraising quarter

Filed under: Oklahoma
  1. Greenspam

Bush. Right-wing radio stations banned Dixie Chicks. And here we had a guy threatening to harm President Obama and right-wingers claim freedom of speech!

April 19, 2012 03:21 am at 3:21 am |
  2. Patrick

Wish is the father to fear.

April 19, 2012 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  3. Mad Cow

Ted Nugent, draft dodger, supports Mitt Romney, draft evader.

April 19, 2012 03:28 am at 3:28 am |
  4. kevin

Im sure Ted is going to tell the CIA where to go. Give em hell Ted.

April 19, 2012 03:29 am at 3:29 am |
  5. Sam

Free speech must be dead. If you don't like what someone says, don't listen to them. The left can spew forth their vile rhetoric all day long and it seems okay. What has happened to this country ...

April 19, 2012 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  6. John

Throw this loudmouth, has-been one-hit-wonder out of the country. Their is enough divisiveness in the country without this old l o u s e throwing gasoline onto the fire.

April 19, 2012 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  7. waikikijohn

i hear he's on the short list for VP

April 19, 2012 03:36 am at 3:36 am |
  8. BooBoo65

It's a touche for Holder allowing the Black Panthers to put a bounty on Zimmerman's head.

April 19, 2012 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  9. neguys

i wonder if the Secret Service is all done messin' around or maybe they are too busy !!!

April 19, 2012 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  10. ted....plz

Put the pipe down!

April 19, 2012 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  11. Trent

Can there be anything more anti-American than threatening to kill the president? Perhaps this draft-dodging coward ought to spend a few months in Afghanistan and meet some real Americans.

April 19, 2012 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  12. retphxfire

Nugent is one of the craziest and rabid of the extreme right, has been for years. Reading about him and his politics, hobbbies and rhetoric have shown him to be a bigoted, misongynist, isolationist, one inch from a goose-step oddball. People like him a dangerous because they have a large audience.

April 19, 2012 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  13. Larry

Nugent was out of line and Romney may believe in being civil. But his spokes person saying divisive language is offensive is a joke, its all hes had so far.

April 19, 2012 03:47 am at 3:47 am |
  14. anon

More evidence of Obama's Gestapo Thug Administration shutting down free speech.

April 19, 2012 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  15. lostisland

Mr Nugent you can play the guitar, but you went way too far in those remarks. I'm an Obama supporter and neither he, nor I are your enemy. We're both americans, please remember that.

April 19, 2012 03:52 am at 3:52 am |
  16. Daguz

Fact – Mr. Nugent did not fight in Vietnam because he literally pooped his pants. Mr. Nugent arrived to the recruiting office with layers of poop and urine in his pants and was not allowed to join the military because he was not 'fit' to join.

Way to be a coward Nugent.

April 19, 2012 03:57 am at 3:57 am |
  17. Al

I'm glad to hear that some private citizen is going to be talked to for voicing his thoughts, while the type of people that are in the Black Panthers are encouraged to post bounties with rewards and nothing happens to them. Go Holder, how are those weapons doing?

April 19, 2012 04:10 am at 4:10 am |
  18. Senor Moreno

Like most who live in a fictional fantasized environment what ever this nugget says comes from his rectum because cocaine have killed all brain cells.

April 19, 2012 04:14 am at 4:14 am |
  19. WorldCares

Resonse:
    You remember.
    I understand your passion and you are quite passionate on your views.
    I am concerned because everytime I watch my local news channel, there are gang related drive by shootings, murders, robberies and child abuse. This is almost everyday.
    I have zero tolerance on methlabs, which are quite abundant in my state, which contirbutes to what I mentioned above.

You chose to present yourself, in the media, as a racist, a rebel, hell you weren't even born down South.
    I'm a rebel because I stand up for what I believe in.
    I don't shoot my mouth off.
    I have enough sense to speak forth and do it with looking at the whole picture.
    I believe everyone is a human being and everyone is equal.
    A person can be considered prejudice if they are against prejudice.
    There are lectures on Capitalism one can find on line.
    Know your country, check them out.

April 19, 2012 04:22 am at 4:22 am |
  20. Steven Brooks

Finally – he has been making threats regularly for some time now.

April 19, 2012 04:28 am at 4:28 am |
  21. Mike

Seems uncle Ted may have contracted cat cat scratch fever or at the very least, foot in mouth disease.

April 19, 2012 04:33 am at 4:33 am |
  22. Caron Speas

This Ted Nugent guy needs some psychoanalysis and it should probably start with his serious case of "projection." Projection is when you see in others (Obama) that which actually abides in you (Nugent). So what does Nugent see? "A vile, evil, hating man." Ooooppps, Ted, you've exposed yourself!!!!

April 19, 2012 04:36 am at 4:36 am |
  23. ExPAVIC

What?

This is a free country where morons are allowed to make moronic comments. Nugent is a moron and he can make moronic comments. And this writer doesn't have to buy what Nugent is selling and maybe, hopefully that is, he will starve.

April 19, 2012 04:37 am at 4:37 am |
  24. Caron Speas

TEd Nugent is the manifestation of just how nasty Republican thinking is. Glad he has sidled up to Mitt Romney. HaHaHa.

April 19, 2012 04:39 am at 4:39 am |
  25. Theman

Go Ted! You have BALLS! Freedom of speech??? How is there Freedom of speech when the White House sends their goons after you for an "interview" when there was no threat whatsoever in the words that were spoken? Nugent for President 2016!!! WASSERMAN IS A COMMIE!

April 19, 2012 04:42 am at 4:42 am |