Huntsman compares GOP to Communist Party of China
April 23rd, 2012

Huntsman compares GOP to Communist Party of China

(CNN) – Former GOP White House contender Jon Huntsman on Monday explained the comparison he made between the Republican Party and Communist Party of China the night before as "waxing philosophical" on the state of politics.

On Sunday night Huntsman equated being disinvited by the Republican Party from a Florida fundraiser in March after he floated the idea of a third party to "what they do in China on party matters if you talk off script," according to political blog BuzzFeed.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Monday the former Utah governor, who served as U.S. ambassador to China under President Barack Obama, blamed blogs for taking a sentence out of context, but repeated the sentiment.

"Last night I said, you know if you're not on script and you get knocked out of an event like that the party's supposed to be big tent, you're supposed to bring in all ideas and I said, I thought for a moment about what they do in China if you're off script. The party, they knock you out," Huntsman said on MSNBC. "We shouldn't be doing that here. We should be accommodating all voices."

He also called on the Republican Party to provide bold solutions to the American people, adding that a failure to do so could result in an "alternative voice or a separate angle of attack that's going to knock it down," an apparent reference to a third party.

Huntsman suspended his presidential bid in January after a third place finish in the New Hampshire primary and endorsed frontrunner Mitt Romney for the nomination.

"This is a time to go big and go bold and go visionary," Huntsman said. "The people of this country are waiting for it and the world is waiting for it too, we have a huge opening."

Filed under: 2012 • Jon Huntsman • Republicans
  1. M C Crockett

If you ain't a right-thinkin', gun-totin', bible-thumpin', card-carryin' member of the Radical Right bent on running this country into the ground; the Republican Party doesn't want you!

What happened to the Republican Party that existed when California switched to a close primary system and I had to declare my party affiliation to vote in a primary?

April 23, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  2. Freedom is Paineful

Finally, a Republican speaking out about the Republican party. What took so long?

Wait a minute... I thought Ron Paul has been doing this for like the last 24 years.... Oh, but, that's just Ron Paul, so it doesn't count.

Huntsman is not the real deal. He is the real chameleon. Only Ron Paul says it like it is.

April 24, 2012 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  3. danielwalldammit

I new Huntsman had judgement. sadly, this disqualifies him as a potential republican candidate.

April 24, 2012 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  4. Republican grandma

I agree! GOP is running on program to make the rich got even richer! I don't get it, what people like Paris Hilton needs more tax break? They don't create a job for me! Why they need tax break? Why Republican controlled congress wants to abolish Social security and medicare and deffer that money for the rich tax credit?? I just don't get it! It's the not the American greed but the Republican Greed!

April 24, 2012 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  5. vegaslds

LOVE him!!!! Start a third party Jon, you can do it! We need someone like you to pull it off.

April 24, 2012 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  6. Dave

Republicans lack vision and conviction. That requires a person to take risks, and they never want to jeopardize their power and influence. Democrats (and Obama in particular) are willing to push for new visions, but Republicans demonize any vision he has.

April 24, 2012 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  7. clarke

I like Huntsman, he appears to be a good man and has some very good points to consider. If you don't have the Media behind you to wave your flag and money, you are out of luck..

April 24, 2012 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  8. Commentary

I advocated this man for months before he dropped out. That day – when GOP voters chose the likes of Gingrich, Perry, and Romney over a man like Huntsman – was the day I lost faith in the current landscape of American history. When Romney loses unsurprisingly and the GOP, shattered as it is, loses itself the Senate and the House, I will do nothing but hold up my Huntsman bumper sticker and keep laughing.

April 24, 2012 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  9. Brian

Someone's gonna run as a third party candidate, which will allow Obama to easily win a second term. He's absolutely right, because the moderates of the Republican Party are being yelled over by the Conservatives. Conservatives will back a third party candidate, because it gives them an out for not having to back Romney.

April 24, 2012 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  10. Victor

The GOP's are bringing about the demise of America. A devided house cannot stand. In GOD we trust!!!!

April 24, 2012 08:40 am at 8:40 am |