Huntsman compares GOP to Communist Party of China
April 23rd, 2012

Huntsman compares GOP to Communist Party of China

(CNN) – Former GOP White House contender Jon Huntsman on Monday explained the comparison he made between the Republican Party and Communist Party of China the night before as "waxing philosophical" on the state of politics.

On Sunday night Huntsman equated being disinvited by the Republican Party from a Florida fundraiser in March after he floated the idea of a third party to "what they do in China on party matters if you talk off script," according to political blog BuzzFeed.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

On Monday the former Utah governor, who served as U.S. ambassador to China under President Barack Obama, blamed blogs for taking a sentence out of context, but repeated the sentiment.

"Last night I said, you know if you're not on script and you get knocked out of an event like that the party's supposed to be big tent, you're supposed to bring in all ideas and I said, I thought for a moment about what they do in China if you're off script. The party, they knock you out," Huntsman said on MSNBC. "We shouldn't be doing that here. We should be accommodating all voices."

He also called on the Republican Party to provide bold solutions to the American people, adding that a failure to do so could result in an "alternative voice or a separate angle of attack that's going to knock it down," an apparent reference to a third party.

Huntsman suspended his presidential bid in January after a third place finish in the New Hampshire primary and endorsed frontrunner Mitt Romney for the nomination.

"This is a time to go big and go bold and go visionary," Huntsman said. "The people of this country are waiting for it and the world is waiting for it too, we have a huge opening."

Filed under: 2012 • Jon Huntsman • Republicans
  1. Eddie The Barber

I like Jesor's coment – The Republican party only seems to recognize a president from their own party (pharaphrased here). That's so pithy – brief, to the point and oh so true. I've known that but never put it into such a simple sentence. Good job Jesor!

April 23, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  2. McGoo

Jon, Do yourself and this country a favor and dump the GOP and go Indipendant. You would be a lock in 2016.

April 23, 2012 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. johnmenacherjr

I really liked this guy to bad the repubs cant see what he was getting at. The current party is just awful and impotent.

April 23, 2012 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. The Real Truth and Nothing But the Real Truth

Egads, don't the losers ever just shut up and go away anymore? This idiot was a pathetic candidate and sounds like a sore loser.

April 23, 2012 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. gg

the only thing that will save america is MADE IN AMERICA

April 23, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. Thomas

Jon Huntsman is right !
    He is one of the few Republicans that understand International and domestic Geo politics and the importance of Law and economics. He has seen the effects of poet and corruption first hand, smart man.

Do smart for the GOP to swallow.

Mitt Romney / Allen West
    Red Slime 2012

April 23, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  7. Veteran for Obama

Mr. Huntsman I couldn't agree with you more, you were the only sane one in the bunch and I'm a true blue democrat.

April 23, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. uzalex

I hope he runs in 2016, maybe people will take another look @ him. How can one so reasonable be so reviled by members of his party? I suspect a lot of independents think like this guy. I guess common sense is really not common.

April 23, 2012 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  9. SJinSJ

I would have voted for Huntsman. Heck, I would have donated money and made phone calls. Now I'll have to hold my nose and vote for Obama.

April 23, 2012 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama (the real one)

Well at least he didn't compare them to that Party headed by the fuller brush mustachioed fellow in 1930's Germany. You know, the one that went around picking off anybody that dared to disagree with them.

April 23, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  11. Bob

Huntsman seems to be a lonely voice of reason and sanity crying out in the wilderness of the current GOP/Tea Party. Wonder if this country will ever get so fed up with the current GOP and DFL lineup that an independent would have a real shot at the oval office. Way too much party dogma currently.

April 23, 2012 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  12. BeverlyNC

Republicans sure are obsessed with communism. Allen West of FL accused the Democrats in Congress of being "communists" – an absurd and complete lie but not one Republican leader denounced him. Republicans are not leaders, have no leaders, they are just liars, hate speech spreaders, and are out to destroy the middle class with their killing of every program from Medicare to Social Security to our Healthcare Law (that is working very well and more and more people are seeing how much it benefits them), food stamps and every program for the poor and elderly. Even the Catholic Church called out the Republicans on the Romney-endorsed Ryan budget for it being "immoral" and " not consistent with the teachings of Jesus". Republicans had no comment because they do not care about anyone but themselves. They are not "Christians". They are not even human. Unless you are rich, white, and male – you do not matter to the Republican Party.

April 23, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  13. Kansas Cowboy

In Kansas, they are doing one better. GOP candidates are being asked to sign a pledge, prior to the election, that they will follow and vote with the GOP leadership. Creepy, totalitarian stuff: pledge loyalty to the Party first, your constituents second.

April 23, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  14. Emperor Vadik, CA

I always liked Huntsman as a man, regardless that I disagreed with his political views...

...and I cant say that about many Republicans...

But getting back to the how extreme the Republicans have become...no one who even has a spec of independence in them can be a part of that party any more...

April 23, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

Blursd

Yes, and the DNC allows its elected members to do and say whatever the hell they want. Do the names Cynthia McKinney and Joseph Lieberman ring a bell ...? Used to be Democrats and now they're not ... Hmmmmm how did that happen? .....
    -------------
    How did that happen? Lieberman had a primary challenge and lost. The voters had had enough, for whatever their reasons. This has nothing to do with the DNC.

I love how conservatives love to project their own flaws onto liberals so as to make liberal criticism sound empty. The RNC *never* disciplines its *elected members* for what they say. Case in point, Rep. West[R-FL] calling his fellow House members "card carrying" communists.

April 23, 2012 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  16. CalmDog

Since 1994, when Gingrich and the rest of the GOP reacted like eighth-grade nut-jobs at gaining a House majority, I have sworn I could not in good conscience vote for another Republican. Since then, the party has just gotten screwier. Jon Huntsman, however, could have changed that. Had he been the nominee this time, I believe he would have been swept in on a wave the size of the one that elected Obama. He is a centrist – a Republican, but a sensible moderate, who would appeal to both sides of the aisle. He was the answer we're looking for. But too sane to be nominated.
    R.I.P. U.S.A. What a shame.

April 23, 2012 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. Jon

I would vote for Huntsman in a heartbeat if he ran third party or independent.

April 23, 2012 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  18. Person of Interest

You know GOP politics has gone crazy when Mitt Romney is the last ditch guy. Jon Huntsman would have been the perfect GOP choice for a candidate that could really beat Obama. Problem is there is no such thing as a progressive conservative anymore. I forget which Tea Party guy said it but one comment was "You can't be socially liberal and still be a conservative and we in the GOP are wanting a conservative candidate." Congrats on Mitt Romney, I'm a moderate and I'd have voted for Jon Huntsman; I won't dare vote for Mitt Romney, I want someone who will lead not go whichever way the political winds take him.

April 23, 2012 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  19. hansdick

huntman/paul or paul/huntsman on a third party ticket.

April 23, 2012 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  20. lies from the right but mostly hate

Huntsman has more political talent in his little toe than the republican party has as a whole.

April 23, 2012 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  21. Kevin in Atlanta

Huntsman was the only sane voice in the Republican race. When he dropped out, it truly became a circus. As a democrat, I would vote for Huntsman without hesitation. He has demonstrated that he clearly understands international politics and economical issues.

I pray he runs as a third party in 2016.

April 23, 2012 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. John

What John Huntsman say Is True the GOP Is like the Communist party of China. Finely A Republican that can tell the Truth.

April 23, 2012 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  23. bill

No surprises here. I've been saying the GOP was analogous to the communinist party for years now. I think the GOP should just go ahead and move on over to China or North Korea.

April 23, 2012 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  24. ART

Rethuglicans are scary, be afraid very afraid.

April 23, 2012 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  25. Wire Palladin, S. F.

If the redistribution of tax payer money does not go for tax breaks to big oil, big insurance, Wall Street, and billionaires, the GOP calls it socialism.

April 23, 2012 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |