April 23rd, 2012

In rare press conference, Romney offers few specifics

Aston, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Mitt Romney took questions from the press for the first time in over a month Monday – but he avoided giving specific answers to almost every query.

Standing alongside a man some believe could become his running mate, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Romney employed the politician's art of speaking while saying very little.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

– Follow Rachel Streitfeld on Twitter: @streitfeldcnn

How far along are you in the search for a vice president?

"We really haven't had a discussion yet of putting together a list or evaluating various candidates," Romney said.

Do you agree with Sen. Rubio's suggestion for a modified DREAM Act, which would offer visas to some young people brought into the country illegally?

"I'm taking a look at his proposal," he said. "It has many features to commend it but it's something that we're studying."

In addition to military personnel who are illegal immigrants, are there other groups of undocumented people in this country to whom you might offer some kind of pathway to legal status?

"How we adjust our visa program to make it fit the needs of our country is something I'll be speaking about down the road," Romney said. "But I don't have anything for you on that on stage."

Romney last held a press conference on March 16 in San Juan, Puerto Rico. His Monday session with reporters came a day before a primary in Pennsylvania, as well as voting in Delaware, New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Rubio appeared to be following Romney's example, keeping his remarks extremely brief and general.

Asked whether his experience qualified him to be vice president, Rubio said simply: "I'm not talking about that process anymore."

The former Massachusetts governor did elaborate on one question, from a French reporter who asked about his favorite memories of the country.

Romney, a Mormon, spent his mission as a young man in France. But instead of talking about that experience, he recounted memories from vacations spent in the country as an adult.

"I think the best memories were with my wife on vacations, from time to time in France," he said. "The last vacation we had there, walking around the city of Paris, not just in the Champs-Élysées, but also over to the Jardin of Luxembourg and around the city, as one of the most magnificent cities in the world and I look forward to occasional vacations again in such a beautiful place."

Some Democrats seized on the statement as another example of Romney's tendency to make off-handed remarks that casually reveal his wealth.

After he wrapped his talk with reporters Monday, Romney returned to the microphone to make some news. He told reporters he was in favor of extending relief on student loans.

Previously he had said colleges would eventually be forced to compete by lowering their tuition costs.

Also see:

Giuliani endorses Romney, downplays being running mate

Huntsman compares GOP to Communist Party of China

RNC formally backs Walker in recall

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Mitt Romney • Pennsylvania
  1. Willis

Hey Daddy rich mormon, can you please, please send me to france & call it a mission, please daddy rich mormon, can I be a draft doddger daddy rich mormon? thanks daddy rich mormon.

April 23, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  2. GI Joe

Lies, flip-flops, distractions, transferrence, what more to we need to know about him?

Just say NO to MORMONS.

Obama/Biden 2012

April 23, 2012 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  3. Samuel Clemems

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, that to speak aloud and remove all doubt."

April 23, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. Is Mitt a Git?

Not only is he not able to provide specifics (and how long does it take you to read something, Mitt?) He is now playing follow the leader. He is attempting to steal Obama's thunder by saying he supports relief for student loans–which the president said earlier today. I could count how many times he does this, but I would get tired past 30.

Obama 2.0, 2012

April 23, 2012 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  5. Cody

So now it's news that Romney did actually say anything! He's been doing that for YEARS! He hasn't made one actual statement other than that he is severely conservative and he believes Obama is completely wrong on everything. With all his press, he's yet to make one policy proposal.

April 23, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. Wake up people

I think what amazes me the most about Robmey and this election is this. When then Senator Obama was running for the office of POTUS, EACH AND EVERY WORD AND OR LOOK WAS SCRUTINIZED. Why is Robmey being handled with kid gloves?? Why isn't HE made to back up his outrageous lies and why is he rarely called on it? The haters are always saying President Obama got into Harvard via affirmative action, which is a lie. Well I bet Robmey got in due to his name and his fathers bank account. Robmey isn't half as smart as President Obama and each and every time he opens his lying, flip flopping lips, everyone sees it. Including his own party of NO.

OBAMA 2012!

April 23, 2012 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. Is Mitt a Git?

@ Silence DoGood:

You are wrong, President Obama's election was embraced by the world. I was overseas on election day 2008, and may people came up to congratulate my friend and I. One fine English gentleman even bought us a pint!!

You are wrong, President Obama is generally respected and well thought of in the international community. Sorry you can't see that.

April 23, 2012 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  8. tumbleweed

Republican Latino (Salvadorian) voting for Romney
    is a Masochist

April 23, 2012 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. WhereIsPalin

"Mitt Romney took questions from the press for the first time in over a month Monday – but he avoided giving specific answers to almost every query."

You need to ask 2 questions. First, how do you think Obama is doing on.....[insert topic]? Then follow up with what would you do?

April 23, 2012 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. gg

Mitt seems doesn't have any answer to any simple question..this guy his head will be frozen soon like governer of Arizona.

April 23, 2012 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  11. Dominican mama 4 Obama (the real one)

@ No More Blah, and Blah Blah:
    make $16 per hour and my husband and I are going to St Lucia next week. So am I out of touch. I hope to be completely out of touch with TV, cells, stress. I think it is refreshing to see a man who loves his wife and isn't afraid to show it.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like Hope and Change has worked really for you Blah Blah, going on vacas and such, St Lucia no less! My, my! And I totally agree with how refreshing it is to see a man who loves his wife and isn't afraid to show it like our current President. The Obamas are indeed a non-medicated AWESOME couple worthy of emulation. Thanks so much for pointing that out.
    Obama 2012. Because Michelle and Barack are just about the most loving couple the White House has seen in many years!

April 23, 2012 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. matt

>>but he avoided giving specific answers to almost every query<<

In the coming secretive Romney presidency, unless you can give the 'hand sign', you are not authorized, nor should you know, the answers to those questions. Obviously, duh!

As the PRC/GOP corporate buyout specialist, the exact method of liquidating the country should only be known by the PRC buyers, signed in blood on a golden plates non-disclosure-agreement.

April 23, 2012 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  13. there is profit in fear.....aka payback

.....As much as I hate to say it....I will yield to mitt. To become the next president... I just want to be able, to say, I told you so....I'm frankly tired of the birthers, tea party, and for the most part, the republicans...Take your so-called country back...I'am tired of the current President being blamed for even breathing......

April 23, 2012 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  14. Chris

Ha ha this article is crap. I was a delegate at the MN Dist onvention this last weekend. Paul took 2 of the 3 National Delegates in our district. He has won 20/24 national delegates from MN and almost all the alternates. Dont let anyone tell you this is a one man race. I'm a delegate to the MN State convention next month too. You guys are going to have the last laugh. Same thing happened in Colorado and just WAIT until California and Texas hold their conventions.

RON PAUL 2012!!

April 23, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  15. Flipper Rmoney Failure Ahead

"Republican Latino (Salvadorian) voting for Romney is a Masochist"

Or a paid internet troll.

April 23, 2012 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  16. vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

and thus the pivot towards the middle begins....let's see how many fall for it.

April 23, 2012 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  17. Luke Brown

If he becomes the VP nominee, Rubio will have to get all those inflated claims off his resume.

April 23, 2012 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  18. vote the Tea Party OUT in 2012

@ No more Hope and change Obama

it apperars

@ no more hope and change....

You Repubs want to have it all the ways you can. Just last week it was your boy Romney that was whining about all the vacations Obama was supposed to be taking. Of course it wasn't true but truth and the Romney campaign have never seem to have gotten along. I make much more than $16 an hour and I STILL do take vacations so I fell to see what your point is.

April 23, 2012 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  19. Ambrose Smith

He can't offer specifics because he is ALL OVER THE PLACE. He wants to be left, right, in the middle. What a flip floppin', etch a sketchin', jibber jabbering, clap trap babbler he is!

April 23, 2012 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  20. ep451

On the student loans part: I guess he brought along the Etch-a-Sketch to the Press Conference!!

April 23, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. Kate Smith

I'm not voting for Obama because his skin is dark, I'm not voting for him because his soul is dark. I was a Democrat for 33 years and voted for Obama, he hasn't done anything he said he would. Don't give me the excuse that the Republicans won't let him, he had a Democratic Congress for the first 2 years of his presidency. Now, I look at his policies and he scares me. Voting for the NDAA, the Tresspass Bill HR347, assassinating US citizens without trial. If you Democrats don't see this, then your head is in the sand and you are just voting for him because you think you have to. There is no difference in the 2 parties any longer. I'm voting for the person this time, even if I have to right him in, that is Dr. Paul. If Obama wins because of it, I don't care, the GOP and MSM deserve it for how they have treated him, and the rest of you who think Obama is so great can live with his rule for another 4 years and then cry later. To bad you can't wake up now, this country is in deep doodoo.

April 23, 2012 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. jayindenver

"...he avoided giving specific answers to almost every query. "

This is because he hasn't got any. Only sound bites and bumper sticker slogans.

April 23, 2012 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. Coloradan

Perhaps he says very little because he doesn't really have a lot TO say. We have seen most of his philosophy enacted under the Bush administration and it wasn't pretty.

April 23, 2012 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  24. macrasta

I agree Mitt a Git? President Obama is very much respected overseas... even the French line streets just to get a glimpse of him ..i've lived overseas both in the bush and current president's era..........it is like night and day...

April 23, 2012 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  25. Bessy

>>but he avoided giving specific answers to almost every query<<

He can't give specifics to any questions without first getting the answer from others, ie: Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly, Ryan, Trump,Palin, etc. I could go on all day.

April 23, 2012 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |