Obama praises Secret Service, hits 'knuckleheads' who caused scandal
April 24th, 2012

Obama praises Secret Service, hits 'knuckleheads' who caused scandal

(CNN) – President Barack Obama on Tuesday labeled the Secret Service officers involved in the recent prostitution scandal "knuckleheads" but also said the agency does a great job 99.9% of the time.

"The Secret Service these guys are incredible. They protect me. They protect Michelle. They protect our girls. They protect our officials all around the world. 99.9% of them every day, they put their life on the line. They do a great job," Obama said in an interview with Jimmy Fallon set to run Tuesday night. "So a couple of knuckleheads shouldn't detract from what they do but what these guys were thinking I don't know. That's why they're not there anymore."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Secret Service members allegedly brought back prostitutes to a hotel in Cartagena, Colombia, while on a security detail in advance of Obama's trip there for the Summit of the Americas. The agency said 12 of its members have been implicated in the incident so far.

Tuesday's remarks were not not the first time the president commented on the scandal. Shortly after the story broke, Obama said he would be "angry" if the allegations were true.

"If it turns out that some of the allegations that have been made in the press are confirmed, then of course I'll be angry," Obama told reporters. "We are representing the people of the United States, and when we travel to another country, I expect us to observe the highest standards."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Time for another change

Rudy NYC

The Real Truth and Nothing But the Real Truth

It takes a knucklehead to know a knucklehead I guess....
    -----
    That is a remarkable observation you made there, Truth. You recognized one of your own.

----–
    Typical of liberals these days to ignore the obvious lack of discipline in play here. Obama's administration has been filled with numerous scandals. I'm sure if this were a Republican president you would feign your shock and disbelief. Such a pretender you truly are.

April 24, 2012 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. Bob

I just cast my vote for the ONLY viable candidate we have in our party...Dr Paul! Of course, I will pull the "straight Democrat" lever in November. (for the first time ever) As Pres Bush said "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

April 24, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  3. barb

Just another black eye for the U.S but i guess some people are fine with that. ah no big deal right? well i'm not ok with this the Secret Service has always been held to a higher standard an they should be i just the the Prez should take it a bit more serious the US has become a laughing stock an i'm not happy about that!!!!!!!

April 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  4. chuck weidemann

Boys being boys being stupid. All the goofball repubs out there are relating and feeling like they need to lash out at the grown-ups!

April 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  5. manyote

' "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." '

I thought that went, "Fool me once, uh, shame on, uh, uhm, shame on, uh, me?"

April 24, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  6. Lou50

think the word "couple" should be 22 and climbing. now several could have been misconstrued to mean 22 and climbing. but then doubt the blue voters even care about ethics or morals. the name calling is interesting for someone in his position, guess he has to use the language for the ones he is trying to impress.

April 24, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  7. The Real Truth and Nothing But the Real Truth

I just LOVE that picture of Obama!!! Pretty much sums up the clueless wonder....

April 24, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. Bob

We've had 20 votes in our upstate NY, rural community. Normally, we would have had close to 100. I'd bet that 19 of em were for anybody other than the Whamway etch-a-sketch salesman. "A chicken in ev'ry pot, and a car in ev'ry grodge"

April 24, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  9. hatchisdonefor

I'm afraid there are more knuckleheads to go in this scandal.

April 24, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  10. hawaiirules

Too bad he doesn't use the same standard for Eric Holder–knucklehead.

April 24, 2012 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. yomomma

@ the real truth and nothing but the real truth

I have read a many of your comments I'm sure this last statement of yours is true (about you).

Obama12

April 24, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. Steve

Everyone keeps calling Obama a black man who people can related to. The use of the term "knucklehead" sounds like something a rich white guy would say in the countryclub. If Romney had used the term, the liberals would have been all over him for using such archiac speech...like, oh I don't know...."marvelous" perhaps?

April 24, 2012 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |