April 24th, 2012

Osteen: Romney is a Christian

(CNN) – Famed pastor Joel Osteen reiterated his position that Mitt Romney is a Christian on Tuesday, saying as long as the likely GOP presidential nominee believes that Jesus is the Son of God then he subscribes to the Christian faith.

"When I hear Mitt Romney say that he believes that Jesus is the Son of God–that he's the Christ, raised from the dead, that he's his Savior–that's good enough for me," Osteen said in an interview to air on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

While Osteen described the Mormon faith as "not traditional Christianity," he said he believes Mormons fall under the Christian tent.

"Mormonism is a little different, but I still see them as brothers in Christ," the pastor argued.

Romney's faith has largely remained an outlier in this presidential cycle, though some have expressed skepticism at the likely Republican nominee's religious views.

A leading Baptist pastor in Dallas, for example, made headlines in October when he urged Republicans to vote against Romney, saying voters should elect what he called a Christian, not a Mormon. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints identify themselves as Christians.

More recently, some students at the evangelical Liberty University have taken issue with Romney being tapped to deliver the school's commencement address in May.

Recent polls, however, show a majority of Americans are open to having a Mormon as president.

Romney is not the only one who has taken heat over his faith. Polls have shown a small minority of Americans have questioned whether President Barack Obama is a Christian.

Countering the speculation, Osteen said Tuesday he has spent time with the president and has no doubt about his faith.

"I believe with all my heart that he's a Christian, as he says he is," Osteen said.

Watch the full interview HERE

Filed under: 2012 • Faith • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. Sniffit

As scary as this may sound, I think Osteen's statements are representative of the vast VAST majority of what people think with respect to both Obama AND Romney. Nobody with a brain in their head or who wishes to be taken even remotely seriously spends any time questioning Obama's or Romney's faith, because they're too busy questioning them on their policies and proposed solutions. Anyone doing otherwise is a waste of oxygen.

April 24, 2012 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. rs

This is the problem of the GOP- they have to go hat in hand to fundamentalists to get their candidates "certified" so that their base- more radical conservative fundamentalists don't bolt the ranks. For about 2/3rds of the voters, this isn't even an issue-but the fact the GOP works these issues, and credentials certainly is. I'd much rather have Mr. Romney's economic plan vetted by Volker, or his foreign policy vetted by Kissinger, or his health care ideas vetted by the CDC-NOT religious figures!

April 24, 2012 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. Kevin

Why is this news? ...but thanks Joel, I thought he was an alien.

April 24, 2012 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. MTATL67

I find it ironic and sad that Mitt Romney is not welcomed at Liberty University because students there are intolerant of other religions…Not very American.

April 24, 2012 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  5. Shauna

Yea, The Bishop worships Brigham Young caus he had 55 wives. Does that really make Mitt such a bad guy????

April 24, 2012 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  6. Mikey

As much as I like Joel Osteen, Thomas Jefferson was strenuous in his warnings about religious litmus tests for public office. It should not matter if any candidate is a Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, any other religion or nothing at all. What matters is their values. No religion holds a monopoly on virtue. Choose the person and their philosophy, vision, and values, not their religion, race, gender, etc. America would be a lot better off.

April 24, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  7. jj

My Lord, what's up with that smile? I didn't realize a face could contort like that.

April 24, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  8. Taylor

Oh yea....Morman maybe he needs to reserch this faith.......and if he have to say it than he not...............

April 24, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  9. Shauna

God has cursed the man of color, Yea real nice Book of CULT!!!!!

April 24, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  10. Woman In California

I don't know if he's a Christian or not (that's between him and God) but I do know his actions at Bain – coupled with his love of money and war (while keeping his son's out of them) are NOT Christian examples of what I want in ANY president. The guy is not fit to be president. Period.

April 24, 2012 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  11. Shauna

Its official, yeay Majic underwear for ALL!!!!!

April 24, 2012 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  12. GI Joe

Easy man to get along with. Two years ago he also said President Obama is a Christian.

Guess he wants to get along with everyone. Religion should not be pulled into politics, and politics should not be pulled in to religion. Quit the last church I attended because the pastor leaned "right" in his sermons.

I don't believe our family will vote for Romney - if they will baptise Hitler, Ann Frank, and others, I certainly don't want to have my name known to him. I don't believe in his Mormon religion, and I don't trust him two feet.

April 24, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  13. Tom

Those young men & woman have every right to Boycott the Bishops speech at Liberty U!!

April 24, 2012 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  14. jim

Gosh and golly gee, I'll bet Romney is just wetting his pants with delight! Joel Osteen? Who gives a rat's @$$?

April 24, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  15. The REAL Truth.. (not the imposter)

Sheesh.. I wonder what Joel hopes to get from the Mormon's by endorsing Mittens as Christian.

April 24, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  16. Ray

Does this apply to Obama ?

April 24, 2012 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  17. Ann

This is Osteen's attempt to get out the "Evangelical vote" for Mittens

April 24, 2012 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. DJ5949

Someone tell Osteen to dial down the smile. He scaring the kids.

April 24, 2012 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  19. Steve, New York City

I am very unlikely to support Mitt Romney.

However, I am bothered by the entire conversation, covered in this article. Why people are still so obsessed with a candidate's religion, skin color or other things (that shouldn't really matter) are beyond me.

The voting populace should be focused on how to end gridlock in Washington, how to solve our economic ills and how to even the playing field against Super PACs and "criminals" like the NRA, the AIPAC and big oil. All of the latter parties are laughing at the voting populace, which is more interested in remarkably stupid debates concerning both Romney's and Potus' religions.

Huntsman has the right idea (on the need for a strong 3rd party) . . .I knew I liked that guy for a reason.

April 24, 2012 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. John

Hey Osteen,

You need to study the bible more and not just give us your opinion. Mormonism is a cult. Check the bible

April 24, 2012 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  21. sonny chapman

Jesus Christ:"This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13,35.

April 24, 2012 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. John

One more thing Osteen,

Satan also believes and knows that Jesus is the Son of God. Does that make him a Christian??

April 24, 2012 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  23. Independent Voters

Mormon are not christain they dont believe in Jesus christ. Osteen you just dont like president Obama you must be campaigning for Romney.

April 24, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  24. jr

To me, its beside the point if Mormonism is Christian or not. You have an Islamic president and that's not an issue? Get real.

April 24, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  25. Dave

I don't believe Osteen is a Christian so it doesn't really matter. I won't vote for Romney but not because I don't think he's a Christian.

April 24, 2012 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |