April 24th, 2012

Osteen: Romney is a Christian

(CNN) – Famed pastor Joel Osteen reiterated his position that Mitt Romney is a Christian on Tuesday, saying as long as the likely GOP presidential nominee believes that Jesus is the Son of God then he subscribes to the Christian faith.

"When I hear Mitt Romney say that he believes that Jesus is the Son of God–that he's the Christ, raised from the dead, that he's his Savior–that's good enough for me," Osteen said in an interview to air on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

While Osteen described the Mormon faith as "not traditional Christianity," he said he believes Mormons fall under the Christian tent.

"Mormonism is a little different, but I still see them as brothers in Christ," the pastor argued.

Romney's faith has largely remained an outlier in this presidential cycle, though some have expressed skepticism at the likely Republican nominee's religious views.

A leading Baptist pastor in Dallas, for example, made headlines in October when he urged Republicans to vote against Romney, saying voters should elect what he called a Christian, not a Mormon. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints identify themselves as Christians.

More recently, some students at the evangelical Liberty University have taken issue with Romney being tapped to deliver the school's commencement address in May.

Recent polls, however, show a majority of Americans are open to having a Mormon as president.

Romney is not the only one who has taken heat over his faith. Polls have shown a small minority of Americans have questioned whether President Barack Obama is a Christian.

Countering the speculation, Osteen said Tuesday he has spent time with the president and has no doubt about his faith.

"I believe with all my heart that he's a Christian, as he says he is," Osteen said.

Watch the full interview HERE

Filed under: 2012 • Faith • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. Robert

April 24, 2012 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. Independant Jack

Robney is a cultist not a christian,he also believes in the magic underwear that a devout morman cannot take off even when bathing.They believe their underwear protects them from evil.The mormons do not use the bible and believe in multiple wives.Of course most will not openly admit it in fear of arrest in most states.Whats sad is the pre arranged marriages to 13 year old kids that are beaten and raped and cannot escape or are brainwashed to stay.This is happening everyday in the mormon religion,scary very scary folks.

April 24, 2012 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  3. Woman In California

@ GI Joe

Well said sir, I couldn't agree more.

April 24, 2012 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

" I am the Church of my own mind"-Tom Paine, " The Rights of Man".

April 24, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  5. Dave

I couldn't care less if Romney worshipped streaming piles of dung. He's still a flip-flopping hypocrite, a serial liar, and an out-of-touch hack who will say and do anything to get elected.

April 24, 2012 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. Thomas

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ TALKS !

April 24, 2012 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  7. pennsylvania sage

Is barney the purple Dinosaur a Christian?

April 24, 2012 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. philip butchers

Good for you Joel.....people like you helps restore my faith in religion which is generally misguided.

April 24, 2012 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Howard

... and Obama is a muslim.
    ============

Just thought you might like to hear Osteen's opinion of President Obama's faith as suggested by Osteen at the end of the article.

April 24, 2012 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  10. Jules

At least for this election, right Joel?

April 24, 2012 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. Gurgyl

It does not matter, I shall vote for Obama.

April 24, 2012 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Woman In California

Rudy NYC

BunnyBunny wrote:

Mormons do not believe in the Trinity. That would make him a UN-Christian in my book, you know the Bible.
    -----
    So, who cares what you or Osteen really think of Romney and Mormonism. What difference does it make if the man meets some individual's definition of a Christian? We are supposed to live in a secular republic, which means no religion is favored.

April 24, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. Sling it

Here comes more of the regular God Haters. Bring it. God can take it...

April 24, 2012 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  14. pm ohio

So does Obama...

April 24, 2012 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. Independant Jack

Mormons also dont use the bible,they use the book of mormon,and yes they are cults,they have religious camps all over america that practice in multiple wives and pre arranged marriages,sometimes within their own families....Their way of life and there biggoted teaching toward people of color/women is just sickening and the poor kids that get molested and brainwashed into thinking this is what god wanted is just vile and evil.This is not the kind of values we want in the whitehouse weather you are gop or dem.

April 24, 2012 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  16. Scott

Actually, since religion isn't official, and you kinda just have to go by what someone says they believe in, I'm pretty sure Romney is a Mormon, and not a christian, as that is what he says. I love how that just because someone is in politics, we get to make up what religion they believe in. Like remember when Obama was Muslim? Why even have beliefs anymore. We should let lunatics like Olsteen choose everyones religion.

April 24, 2012 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. Mike R.

I would be very interested to hear where all of you self-proclaimed Mormon scholars learned your information about the Mormon faith from. Especially you, Independent Jack. Perhaps it was heresy, or gossip between co-workers. It definitely wasn't from an educated source. I personally do not affiliate with any particular Christian sect, but I will say that I have studied the Mormon faith from a scholastic standpoint, and with an open mind. I have failed to see any truth in these hateful comments. It doesn't hurt me if people decide to be ignorant to certain facts but at least do proper research before you risk sounding like a complete fool.

As for the election, the people who vote or do not vote for a certain candidate solely based on their faith are such a small percentage, it won't matter anyway. I vote for the person based on their character and professional track record, and with Mitt, I have yet to see a serious flaw that would question my judgement of his ability to run a country.

April 24, 2012 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  18. pm

Robert said........Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as “one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.” We know he can't be Christian, Mormon or Catholic and put forward infanticide and side with others against Israel so that must make him either an aethiest or a Muslim.

I guess you aren't a Christian either, since there is only one judge and that is God, not you. Obama shows he's more of a Christian than most of the ignorant racist posters on this blog every day, by his actions and words.

April 24, 2012 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. Woman In California

@ John – "Satan also believes and knows that Jesus is the Son of God. Does that make him a Christian??"

Very, very good question. I will share this with others.
    Thanks.

April 24, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. Ray E. (Georgia)

Romney believes in Fiscal Responsibility. Obama believes in Spreading the "Wealth". Other people's wealth. What do you believe???

April 24, 2012 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  21. Michael

Thank you, Pastor Olsteen, for bringing some reason and sense to the "Are Mormons Christian" question.

April 24, 2012 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  22. Lynda/Minnesota

"I respectfully disagree Rudy. I DO care. There are a lot of strange things about this man and I think they should be considered since he would not be a private citizen anymore and would be making decisions based on HIS beliefs. Make no mistake about that. He would."

I'm very concerned that Mitt is on record as saying that if he reveals his plans, people won't vote for him. There is too much secrecy about Mitt Romney the candidate and Mitt Romney the man. Asking delegates to sign pledges to him is also a concern. I do agree with you that there is more to what meets the eye where Romney is concerned and it is very troubling.

April 24, 2012 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  23. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Who cares?

Signed,
    An atheist for OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

April 24, 2012 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. gordyb

I thought Mormons believe that satan and Jesus were brothers? How does that go over with christians?

April 24, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  25. alleygator

Hah! According to Osteen's theology, Romney has to be a christian - he's rich!

April 24, 2012 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |