April 24th, 2012

Osteen: Romney is a Christian

(CNN) – Famed pastor Joel Osteen reiterated his position that Mitt Romney is a Christian on Tuesday, saying as long as the likely GOP presidential nominee believes that Jesus is the Son of God then he subscribes to the Christian faith.

"When I hear Mitt Romney say that he believes that Jesus is the Son of God–that he's the Christ, raised from the dead, that he's his Savior–that's good enough for me," Osteen said in an interview to air on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

While Osteen described the Mormon faith as "not traditional Christianity," he said he believes Mormons fall under the Christian tent.

"Mormonism is a little different, but I still see them as brothers in Christ," the pastor argued.

Romney's faith has largely remained an outlier in this presidential cycle, though some have expressed skepticism at the likely Republican nominee's religious views.

A leading Baptist pastor in Dallas, for example, made headlines in October when he urged Republicans to vote against Romney, saying voters should elect what he called a Christian, not a Mormon. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints identify themselves as Christians.

More recently, some students at the evangelical Liberty University have taken issue with Romney being tapped to deliver the school's commencement address in May.

Recent polls, however, show a majority of Americans are open to having a Mormon as president.

Romney is not the only one who has taken heat over his faith. Polls have shown a small minority of Americans have questioned whether President Barack Obama is a Christian.

Countering the speculation, Osteen said Tuesday he has spent time with the president and has no doubt about his faith.

"I believe with all my heart that he's a Christian, as he says he is," Osteen said.

Watch the full interview HERE

Filed under: 2012 • Faith • Mitt Romney • TV-The Situation Room
  1. Realist

Fact: Mormons believe that you are sealed forever and you will inherit your own planet when you die.
    Fact: Mormons wear special underwear to help ride them evil.
    Fact: Mormons answer to the highest law in the land... the Supreme leader...the Elders in their Church.

How can any logical human being vote for a member of this Cult to lead their nation?

April 24, 2012 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. justaman

I wouldn't put stock in one thing that Joel Osteen says. His has no sense of reality, whatsoever. It's not "all good", there is some pain and hardship along the way, and sometimes it's just about all one can do to get through it. His "all good" sermons–and that's using the term 'sermons' very lightly–are all good to him because of the millions that he's raking in from thousands of "needing" people who don't know the truth, and don't WANT to know the truth. Hell's hot and getting larger every day, and if you do not have a time and place that the Lord saved your soul, it will be your home when this life is over. Now...that is the truth.

April 24, 2012 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. CallonGod

In 2 John 9, we read, “Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.”

April 24, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. john

Who really cares what this 'snake oil salesman' says? Besides, there is absolutely no reason for me to care what a publicly elected official 'believes' as opposed to what he knows and the policies that he preposes.

April 24, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. Julius

Jesus had a name for people like you Osteen: whitened sepulcher

April 24, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. Smith

Our message and position must clear ( Rev 22:18-19) concerning the “Book of Mormons” we can NOT have 2 different versions of the Gospel of Jesus Christ:

Revelation 22:18-19 18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City , which are described in this scroll.

April 24, 2012 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. manyote

What's the big deal about this? Doesn't Joel know that Romney is everything you want him to be, if it gets votes. If he's to be in among Muslim voters for example, Mohammed will be his savior. You know, the religion du jour. That's the Reversable Mittens for you.

April 24, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. GonzoinHouston

It's a lot easier to twist Christian theology to fit what you want than it is to vote for a democratic candidate. This is nothing new. The very first election involving Jerry Fallwell's Moral Majority had the CT's backing the divorced actor who only saw church for weddings and funerals over the born-again, Sunday-school teaching Baptist church elder. These folks are conservative first and Christian second.

April 24, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  9. MormonDad

As a life-long member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints I am finding certain of these comments both illuminating and depressing. Even while serving a two year mission I never came across such hateful and ignorant comments about the Mormon faith. The authors of these comments clearly are getting their information from biased sources. I doubt any of them has actually attended our Sunday serverices, which are open to all who want to show up. When I was baptised, I received forgiveness of my sins through the atonement of Jesus Christ and simultantouesly I made a covenant to always follow HIm. Every Sunday I repent of my misdeeds and renew that baptismal covenant by taking the Sacrament in rememberance of my Savior. That is the core, day-to-day element of every Mornom's life and the core of our beliefs and worship. Though my faith is its own reward and requires no recognition from humanity, I appreciate Osteen's reciprociprocity, as I have many friends and neighbors here in the South whom I consider my brothers in Christ.

April 24, 2012 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  10. Joey

I cannot stand Obama but at least it is possible that Obama is a Christian who does not understand the implications of the Christian faith and works counter to the principles of the faith. Romney is a member of a cult, definitely not a Christian.

April 24, 2012 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. jenkoosh

Thought bubble over Osteen's head...

"Romney is deranged, but at least he's not the black dude in the White House."

April 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  12. CEW

I keep seeing people saying stuff like "I'll be the judge of who is Christian, or not." So whatever happened to "Judge not, lest ye be judged"? I thought it was GOD who judged, and everyone else should not try and usurp God's role?

April 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Osteen: Romney is a Christian

But what about Osteen ???

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine.
    Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers
    to say what their itching ears want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3

April 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  14. Tony77

Time for lust, time for lie, Time to kiss your life goodbye. Send me money, send me green, Heaven you will meet. Make a contribution and you'll get a better seat. Bow to leper messiah!

April 24, 2012 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  15. Solus5

I had to laugh!! "both religions are filled with stupid people"... and "religion is a mental illness".. I guess the alternative for these is Macro Evolution (I do hold to micro evolution – change within species).. Whose tenents uphold a premise that defies the scientific testing models and the laws of physics... Who believes life came from non-life and in the beginning there was nothing.. .then it exploded... The wisdom of God is foolishness to men.. Pulitzer prize winner said, there are only 2 explainations as to how we came to be.. Evolution or God. there is no other choice. he stated that macro evolution is impossible, yet He said, "I will not believe in God; SO, I will continue to uphold that which I know is impossible because I refuse to believe that there is a God.." Quite a statement, yet it is the sentiment of many on this board who choose to believe a lie rather that accept that there is a Creator..

Remember: name calling is a device of a weak mind. Come at us with fact and courtesy and we can discuss.. Come at us with name calling and rudeness and all we can have toward you is pity..

April 24, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  16. Arlene

From one millionaire to another it mut be true. By the way keep the money coming in for the prayer cards.

April 24, 2012 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  17. Mcshannon

What Mormon would say that Jesus Christ is his Lord and Savior? Osteen what are you doing?

April 24, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  18. Nolibsallowed

To Really, The Trinity description is a creed that most churches subscribe to. However, that definition is not found in scripture so saying that your definition is right and others are wrong is childish. Let all Americans believe in God however they wish. If you choose to believe Jesus prayed to himself thats your business. Let the LDS faith believe that he prayed to his father. After all it is 2012. Are we not free to choose? By their works ye shall know them.

April 24, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. Independant Jack

Robmey is not a christian plain and simple.Maybe in a bizzaro world it may be possible.I just think robmey's religion is the least of his worries with the chronic flip flops and every other day shaking his Etch A Sketch.Robmey is vile and cannot be trusted.

April 24, 2012 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  20. griff griff

Joel Osteen, It takes a Christian to know one. You, my friend was interviewed by Katie Couric and she asked you; "Why don't you preach about sin and things like that?" And you said, "God didn't call you to be that type of preacher." You're the first preacher that I've ever heard of that God gave a preaching waiver to. This is why your church is full every service. People running away from being told that hell is a real place and if you don't get it straight, you'll be there. Keep preaching that "lite" gospel and you'll be in hell with them.

April 24, 2012 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  21. albert

Neither Olsteen Nor Romney are Christians. Both are far removed from anything the Bible teaches. I wonder how much Romney paid for this worthless endorsement?

April 24, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  22. Lew

36 yrs in the Mormon church and served a mission, so i think i gota inside track to what the Mormon church is all about, Christian ? no!,iam glad i left, i pray for them daily. I dont hate the church or the people., just feel sorry for them.

April 24, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. Lee

Hey Jim Brody:
    I thought Jesus would be the judge of who is Cristian and who is not. Judge not least ye be judged.

April 24, 2012 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  24. Gerry Daley

Osteen is nothing more than a snake oil salesman. Both he and his smug Barby Doll wife have about as much to do with what Jesus said we should do as Romney does with being a caring human being.

April 24, 2012 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. ?

A wise man said, "For the love of money is the root of all evil." (1 Timothy 6:10) I find it repugnant when fake, Evangelical Christians embrace capitalism as the be-all and end-all, demonize proponents of egalitarianism and buy into the propaganda of the military-Industrial complex and prison-industrial complex.

April 24, 2012 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |