Ann Romney: I had a health 'scare'
April 26th, 2012

Ann Romney: I had a health 'scare'

(CNN) - Ann Romney, the wife of presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney who suffers from multiple sclerosis, revealed she had a health "scare" leading up to Super Tuesday.

"There have been some days, like before Super Tuesday I was quite fatigued, and I knew I couldn't quit. I didn't tell anybody I was tired," Romney told "Entertainment Tonight" in an interview set to air Thursday. "I just kept going. I kept going."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I had a little bit of a scare," Romney added.

She was diagnosed with the inflammatory disease in 1998 and often discuses the experience while on the campaign trail in support of her husband's White House bid. The breast cancer survivor usually details how Mitt Romney supported her during the most difficult phases, saying he told her he would eat cereal for the rest of his life if it became difficult for her to cook.

The mother of five has said she now manages her MS symptoms through horse back riding and monitoring her energy levels.

She described how the disease manifests itself in her in the latest interview, saying she starts to "almost lose my words."

"I almost can't think. I can't get words out. I start to stumble a little bit. And so those things were happening and I thought uh oh, big trouble," Romney said of the lead up to Election Day in March.

Also see:

Web ad mocks Obama as 'celebrity president'

Texas governor switches endorsement from Gingrich to Romney

Congressman calls Afghan president 'corrupt prima donna'

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Mitt Romney
  1. s

Who Really Cares!!

April 26, 2012 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

I'm glad she's well because my friend called me yesterday and told me her doctor has advised her she is dying, not from cancer or MS.

April 26, 2012 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  3. george S

What would Ann Romney do if she was one of the 40 million people WITHOUT healthcare and without millions of dollars in the bank?

April 26, 2012 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  4. edpeters101

I will say, "Ann, your health is way more important than Mitt's run for POTUS."..

April 26, 2012 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  5. Logic N LA

What is wrong with these guys who have sick family member and still run for the Presidency? Romeny does not need to stress his wife like this. Edwards never shuld have put his wife through two crueling campaigns. Samtorum should have treasured every minute with his daughter. are their egos so big that they don't care?
    If I were on the fence of who to vote for this would tip it completely.

April 26, 2012 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. Bill, NY

Funny, many other people in this country suffer health scares everyday, but do not have the tremendous resources to fall back on that the Romney's do. Its easy for them, but very hard for others who cannot afford health care that Mr. Romney will go out of his way to deny those who need it.

April 26, 2012 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. Emerson

Sorry you had a health problem, but count yourself lucky that you had health coverage. Consider the fact that the man you are married to is now the candidate for the party that wants to take away health care from people. I hope that you are able to appreciate the irony in that you now stand for the proposition that its just tough luck if you don't have health insurance and you get sick.

April 26, 2012 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  8. Etch-a-Sketch Mitt Is Soo Plastic he Makes Mannequins Looks Real

Did Ann Romney go to the emergengy room and found out she didn't have health insurance? I DONT THINK SOOOO?

April 26, 2012 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  9. Kevin, Chicago, IL

Eat cereal if she couldn't cook? Why don't you cook Mitt? My wife suffers from MS and still works a full time job. It's very difficult for her but she likes being part of the world and work does that for her. I do the cooking, cleaning, etc. to make her home life as easy as possible. I've seen this disease wreak havoc on her body. From the young, vibrant women who use to love to run to someone who now needs a cane to walk with. FYI my wife is only 35.

April 26, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  10. NVa Native

It's good she has excellent health-care coverage and unlimited resources to keep her and her family as healthy as possible.
    Millions of Americans don't have that basic need covered – and that's what she and her husband support.

April 26, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  11. T'sah from Virginia

►Ann Romney: I had a health 'scare'◄
    And your point? Do you believe "no one cares?"
    You will not be criticized because in reality you are sick
    But what does this has to do with your husband – the "flip-flopping-flip?"

On another note – did you ever have to worry about your "Health Care?"
    The "health care" your husband wants to "repeal" if he ever gets there?
    He wants to take away kid's coverage until 26, preexisting ills and coverage for all
    Many who are sick right now – if your husband gets elected – they will be denied and eventually fall!!!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward – Seriously America!!!!!

April 26, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  12. stars

that is why you should not be first lady you need to be home

April 26, 2012 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  13. Gale

I can't wait (actually, I can) until all the hateful Obama worshippers start replying to this.

April 26, 2012 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  14. Brian from IL

Well, thank goodness SHE at least has access to healthcare. Unfortunately, if her husband has his way, a lot of people will lose their health insurance.

April 26, 2012 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  15. Jamie

She also had access to the best care available, no worries about co-pays life time limits or pre existing conditions, and no pangs over being able to afford treatment even if tossed off of insurance plans. I'm sympathetic that she has dealt with illness, but comparing her condition to the average person with the same problem is completely ludicrous.

April 26, 2012 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  16. gg

she,s also got free health care

April 26, 2012 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  17. Rudy NYC

Stay healthy, ma'am. Your health is more important than your wealth. Your health is more important than the outcome of the general election. Your health is more than what we need to know about you at the moment. But, since you brought it up, Ann. Who is your health care provider, and what type of plan do you have?

April 26, 2012 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  18. sayer

How effective is he going to be as POTUS with a sick wife? President Obama has set a new pace for the job of president and our country cannot afford a slower, lesser effort on several critical issues facing us: unemployment, foreign policy, immigration, education, energy, tax reform, and health care. Obama 2012.

April 26, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  19. Mike

No offence but SO WHAT!

April 26, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  20. PaulCat

You have health care, right?

April 26, 2012 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  21. Joseph

Ann would be a better candidate than her husband.

April 26, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  22. Blindersoff

Where is my violin? I might have left it in my contact lens cast. Ann Romney, I'm one of you, look, I get sick too! :-(

April 26, 2012 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  23. livingston

No Ann, you want to know what scary is? Scary is getting sick and not having health insurance or having coverage so bad it doesn't cover everything after you pay a huge deductible. And then having it cancelled because you used it. That is truly scary.

April 26, 2012 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  24. Phil from Licking County

This can work two ways. First, the Romneys will get the sympathy vote, Poor Ann is has a terminal sickness. However, many people will think, "I do not want the have a sick women represent the first lady of the US. Secondly, should Mitt be more concerned about his ambitions, while he should devote most of his time, and money, to his wife. So, the Romney have to play their cards carefully in this case.

April 26, 2012 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  25. kakaraka

Yes, your millions dollars fortune would provide all the health care you need while you stay home without outside job. Struggling employed women don't have your privilege to stay home with all you need on spoon. Yet, your husband want to cut health care for millions of women in this country who are not millionaires like you are. Stop lecturing any struggling women on how if feels to suffer financially. You haven't.

April 26, 2012 10:28 am at 10:28 am |