Ann Romney: I had a health 'scare'
April 26th, 2012

Ann Romney: I had a health 'scare'

(CNN) - Ann Romney, the wife of presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney who suffers from multiple sclerosis, revealed she had a health "scare" leading up to Super Tuesday.

"There have been some days, like before Super Tuesday I was quite fatigued, and I knew I couldn't quit. I didn't tell anybody I was tired," Romney told "Entertainment Tonight" in an interview set to air Thursday. "I just kept going. I kept going."

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"I had a little bit of a scare," Romney added.

She was diagnosed with the inflammatory disease in 1998 and often discuses the experience while on the campaign trail in support of her husband's White House bid. The breast cancer survivor usually details how Mitt Romney supported her during the most difficult phases, saying he told her he would eat cereal for the rest of his life if it became difficult for her to cook.

The mother of five has said she now manages her MS symptoms through horse back riding and monitoring her energy levels.

"I almost can't think. I can't get words out. I start to stumble a little bit. And so those things were happening and I thought uh oh, big trouble," Romney said of the lead up to Election Day in March.

Also see:

Web ad mocks Obama as 'celebrity president'

Texas governor switches endorsement from Gingrich to Romney

Congressman calls Afghan president 'corrupt prima donna'

Filed under: 2012 • Ann Romney • Mitt Romney
  1. brian in denver

What a trooper!

April 26, 2012 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  2. A

Imaagine suffering with multiple sclerosis or breast cancer without healthcare insurance.

April 26, 2012 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  3. SUBS 4 VOTES/Dutch Bad Newz, VA/GROVER NORQUIST IS A ENEMY OF THE STATE

Sorry for your diagnosis Ann. Good for you that you have a cadillac health insurance plan. Is this supposed to make us more sympathetic towards the Romney's?

April 26, 2012 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  4. Wes B.

I don't see the point she's trying to make. Sympathy? I wish her the best of health, but she does understand that she literally has the best health coverage and doctors that money can buy, right? Does she understand that that isn't the case with most everyone else?

April 26, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  5. Khaleeshi

A lot of people have health scares – but they don't have millions of dollars in off-shore accounts and the best health insurance money can buy. She's only saying all this to try an humanize her husband cuz he's so plastic and pathetic. Not working Romney's – try again...

April 26, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  6. Scoop

I empathize with Ann, I have friends who are battling MS, however I do feel like her using this as a forefront issue on the campaign is a blatant attempt to politicize her situation and win over voters by sympathy vote. Ive noticed on several occassions she has been the first one out front instead of Mitt. Sorry ann, but YOU ae not going to be the POTUS, your HUSBAND will be. I need to hear from Mitt, what his platform will be for this country, otherwise your trumpeting abotu how hard it was to raise 5 boys as a rich stay at home mom, fall on deaf ears.

April 26, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  7. mario

you so much money ann you can pay for yourself the best medication you need, ,,,,i am not scare for you, stop whining

April 26, 2012 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  8. Lili

Hang in there, Ann!@ It could be worst.....no healthcare insurance! Imagine that one! Every time I'm ill I think of those who must suffer every day while living with no healthcare in a country as rich as our country!! Shameful!!!!

April 26, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  9. Nelson R. Evans

Her constant interjection within her husbands political campaign makes her subject to attack opinions if warranted Trying to say she is immune to criticisim including her faith that has a tainted past is relevent.

April 26, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  10. Chumlee

Please, stop shopping for the sympathy vote. Ann Romney has no connection to reality. Too many nannies,
    house keepers, elevators for her cadillacs.

How pathetic

April 26, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  11. Is Mitt a Git?

This is a dubios ploy, Mitt. Put your wife's health issues in the spotlight in hopes of getting the sympathy vote. Once again, you pander, and Ann falls in line. She survived while many more did not because she had the money for expensive treatment and good health care.

Having Ann there so she can talk about her struggles after you give a lame speech does not sound like a winning strategy. Most people don't like you, and trying to make us like your wife will not put you in the White House.

April 26, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  12. B

Queen Ann is receiving excellent medical care, while her husband is working overtime to deny medical care for the poor.

April 26, 2012 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  13. ST

Was she telling all these to her doctor? Why tell the rest of the world, while they have nothing to offer/help in her sickness?

April 26, 2012 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  14. Hongli

I hope that Ann's heart is good on November when her Republican Party will run a good second place finish in the elections.

April 26, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. Dave

While I would never wish MS or breast cancer on anyone, I certainly hope the Ann Romney appreciates the fact that she has access to the proper health insurance and plenty of money in reserve to pay for first-rate healthcare. Now stop acting like a sympathy case in your husband's attempts to pander to voters. It's getting really pathetic.

April 26, 2012 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. judith

Poor, poor Ann–trying to hold a pity party/ At least she has the luxury of the best healthcare money can buy while so many have none. Preying on the sympathy of voters just won't win many votes, Queen Ann. If you can't stand the rigors of campaigning, retreat to your mansion and uber-luxurious lifestyle–take Mitten with you, please.

April 26, 2012 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  17. Doreen Johnson

Please...imagine Annie – no insurance. And that husband of yours wants to take away the little assistance Obama's plan gives them. Nice guy.

April 26, 2012 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. selling books

Oh great, another "code orange" to get the sympathy of americans. "Mitt, we are behind by 10 points.. can we get a story about Ann being to tired to ride her prize horses because she is soooo sick?"

April 26, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  19. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Ann should talk to Mittens about his stupid promise to repeal the affordable care act. There must be other women with similar conditions who are not married to a man with $250 million, who also deserve health care.

April 26, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  20. Thomas

Is that why your five sons avoided military service ?

April 26, 2012 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  21. Steve in PA

Really...your looking for a sympathy vote when there are hundreds of thousands of people in the U.S. with the same illness. Most don't have that bottomless pocket book let alone a cadillac health plan. I'll wager "$10,000" most are making daily financial decisions to buy or go with out something due to their illness.
    She described how the disease manifests itself in her in the latest interview, saying she starts to "almost lose my words." "I almost can't think. I can't get words out. I start to stumble a little bit. And so those things were happening and I thought uh oh, big trouble." You sound like it is a recently discovered illness and it got you first. Typical Romney, so far out of touch it's laughable if not disgusting.

April 26, 2012 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  22. Arun

Hey Anne, hope you get better. The only question I have is, did your doctor have to read from a sheet where the government tells him/her what to say? Also, I would like to know when your medical records are going to become public knowledge because your husband feels the government should invade your healthcare!!

April 26, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  23. AF.

I am sorry to hear that you suffer from those health issues, but did you at any moment think about those who have other health issues and cannot efford to pay insurance or not having insurance?
    I saw in your last income tax report, YOU ANN AND ROMNEY ONLY GIVE MONEY TO YOUR CHURCH MORMON, NOT A DIME TO ANY OTHER ORGANISATIONS THAT ARE HELPING SENIORS, MINORITIES, CHILDREN WITH DESABILITIES. WHAT A SHAME! GIVE DONATION TO LITLE CHILDREN OF GOD

April 26, 2012 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  24. Time for another change

Nelson R. Evans

And how is Michelle Obama's comments different? It sounds like she should be fair game from your comments.

April 26, 2012 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  25. Caitlyn

@sayer Obama has set a new pace as president? maybe...

Obama has spent more money at a greater pace then any other president...
    Obama has played more rounds of golf then any other president...
    Obama has done more late night talk shows then any other president...
    Obama has taken more vacations then any other president...
    Obama has apologized and bent over more then any other president...

Yeah... if Romney slows that down, it's a good thing.

April 26, 2012 11:10 am at 11:10 am |