April 26th, 2012

Michelle Obama's White House fantasy

(CNN) – She's known to take discreet trips to Target and Baskin-Robbins, but first lady Michelle Obama said Thursday she'd still like more freedom to get out of the White House.

"Sometimes we can't sneak out often on our own without security and motorcades and people with us," Obama said at a "Take your Child to Work Day" held at the White House. She was explaining what she would change about being the nation's first lady.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

"It is hard to sneak around and do what you want," Obama continued. "I have done it a couple of times. But you know one fantasy I have, and the Secret Service they keep looking at me because they think I might actually do it, is to walk right out the front door and just keep walking."

In September, Obama was photographed shopping at a Target in Alexandria, Virginia, outside the nation's capital. She later told David Letterman she has also attempted trips to Petco with the family's Portuguese Water Dog Bo.

On Thursday, Obama said the trips have taken on additional hassle now that she's afforded protection from the Secret Service.

"I can't just up and decide I think I am going to go for a walk," Obama said. "I am going to walk to Georgetown. If I could change something I'd be able to sneak around a little bit more but it causes people a lot of stress when I do that so I try not to."

Asked if she would like to return to her life before moving into the White House, Obama said she wasn't inclined to look backward.

"One of the things I have learned being a grown up is that you always look forward," Obama said. "You look to where you want to go as opposed to looking back."

Also see:

Web ad mocks Obama as 'celebrity president'

Texas governor switches endorsement from Gingrich to Romney

Congressman calls Afghan president 'corrupt prima donna'

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. T'sah from Virginia

►Obama's Snake Oil on Sale – Git yur lies and deceit here!!
    Michelle, I thought we agreed you'd stop sneaking out to that Baskin-Robbins and chowing down sundaes and start sneaking out to the gym instead.◄

Dumb-ash – she has her own private gym; now you know better than that!!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!

April 26, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. Veteran for Obama

@Oboma's snake Oil on Sale-Git your lies and deceit here!
    Michelle, I thoughr we agreed you'd stop sneaking out to that Baskin-Robbins and chowing down sundaes and start sneaking out to the gym instead.
    ____________________________________________

Like you have a female your life that looks as good as Michelle Obama.

April 26, 2012 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  3. thelastbrainleft

She will have plenty of freedom come January.

April 26, 2012 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. annie s

What a wonderful, down to earth woman. I'm proud to have her as First Lady.

April 26, 2012 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. Woman In California

The reason Obama doesnt have a lot of homes is because he doesnt know how to make money, just knows how to spend it. 5 trillion in the first 3 years. Heaven help our children if he gets 4 more.

No Marty, that's not the reason. They are just not GREEDY people. Believe it or not most of us aren't either. We want to ENTER the kingdom of Heaven and not worship a false god.

April 26, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  6. Ronda in Houston,TX

First Lady Michelle Obama is a class act.

Obama/Biden 2012!!!

April 26, 2012 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  7. Jim

Anyone proud of the clowns in the White House needs to have their head examined.

My apologies to clowns ...

April 26, 2012 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  8. G

Luv ya Michelle!

April 26, 2012 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  9. Marie MD

My fantasy is the city of DC without one single tespublikan in congress!

April 26, 2012 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |