April 30th, 2012

Betty White makes her political pick

(CNN) - Betty White took her love for animals into the political world with the release of a new campaign ad Monday, backing longtime U.S. Rep. Howard Berman of California in his heated re-election bid.

White, 90, standing on set alongside “Hot in Cleveland” co-star Wendie Malick, praises Berman in the ad for his work with animal rights.

– Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

“Betty, if you want a friend in Washington, do you know what you do?” Malick asks White in the spot.

“Get a dog,” White replies. “At least that's what I've been told.”

Smiling, Malick asks White: “And what else?”

“Re-elect Congressman Howard Berman. The Valley leader who fights for the humane treatment of all animals,” White says, later adding: “And he has very nice blue eyes.”

White, often dubbed “America’s Grandma,” has long used her fame to promote animal advocacy groups.

The congressman also appears in the ad, holding a small white dog and delivering the standard political ad message: “I'm Howard Berman, and my friend and I approve this message.”

Berman, now in his 15th term, represents California’s 28th Congressional District, which covers parts of the San Fernando Valley. Due to redistricting plans, he faces a tough primary battle against fellow Democratic Congressman Brad Sherman.

Among his work for animal rights, Berman co-sponsored a law passed in 2010 that bans the selling of videos showing intentional animal torture.

Also see:

Boehner explains jabs at Obama as 'help'

Clinton, Obama headline Virginia fund-raiser

Romney: U.S. should protect Chinese dissident

Politics of bin Laden: 'Fair game' vs. 'divisive'

Filed under: 2012 • Ads • California • House
  1. Sniffit

You gotta wonder how she'd do in a poll of her "approval rating" haha.

May 1, 2012 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  2. The Real Truth and Nothing But Real Truth

me - So I'm guessing Romney won't get her vote.
    =======================================
    He has more chance of getting her vote than the puppy eating Obama.

May 1, 2012 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  3. DIANA

Betty White is an inspiration. I hope I could be half the person she is when I'm her age. Go Betty and good luck Mr. Berman, I wish I could vote for you.

May 1, 2012 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  4. Blanche Devereua

I was sure her big secret was she died 12 years ago and is a hollogram.

May 1, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  5. joann

Am I the only one who is getting tired of Betty White?

May 1, 2012 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. Majestic

at Joann: Yes. You're the only one getting tired of Betty White.

May 1, 2012 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  7. Nick

She is a Obama supporter.

May 1, 2012 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  8. cecilia

ok Ms. White I understand if you support a Republican because he is an animal activist but by the same token you need to support the President and not Romney for the same reason – let's hear it for Obama and by the way I love you

May 1, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. Jan

We need more Howard Bermans in the world fighting for the rights of animals. We need to be the ones who speak for those who cannot. Go Mr. Berman and all who support you! Wish I lived in Cali to vote for you.

As for Nick and his comment "She is a(n) Obama supporter"...this means what exactly? I live in Canada and would love to have President Obama as Prime Minister here...he is very well spoken, highly intelligent, and is one of the best presidents your country has had in a long time. He works for the people...unlike others such as Romney and Santorum who are just their for their own personal gratification and greed..need I say more?

May 1, 2012 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  10. Kimberly

joann

Am I the only one who is getting tired of Betty White?
    _______________________________________________________

May 1, 2012 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. Kimberly

cecilia

______________________________________________
    She is supporting a Democrat- he is the other guy in the primary, running against FELLOW Democrat...

May 1, 2012 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. Jan

...should have read ...who are just "there" ...

May 1, 2012 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  13. Wake up people

I love Betty White and I hope I am in as great shape as she is when I get her age. She is a great lady and still very funny. Keep up the good work Ms. White, you're an inspiration.

May 1, 2012 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  14. DIANA

@ joann, yes, you are the only person who's getting tired of Betty White.

May 1, 2012 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  15. on StreetWise

As goes Betty, goes the country!

May 1, 2012 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  16. TSB8C

Don't do anything to help people, but get elected because you saved some dogs. That makes perfect sense – NOT!

May 1, 2012 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  17. Mike

"He has more chance of getting her vote than the puppy eating Obama."

If you had read the excerpt from the book, you would see that he describes dog meat as "tough," so it almost definitely wasn't puppy. So there.

May 1, 2012 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  18. sane

For those of you with reading comprehension issues....thinking Rep. Berman is a Republican...he is a Democrat.

Quote: "Due to redistricting plans, he faces a tough primary battle against fellow Democratic Congressman Brad Sherman." Note the words "fellow Democrat".

Betty White is a compassionate person. No way she would vote Republican.

May 1, 2012 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Jaycarl

"Oh, and he has blue eyes" A mouth full ...

May 1, 2012 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  20. The Real Truth and Nothing But Real Truth

sane - Betty White is a compassionate person. No way she would vote Republican.
    =================================================================
    Of course she's a Republican. She still has a functioning brain and that alone disqualifies her from the Democrat Party.

May 1, 2012 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. inky Goodman

Anyone who cares and works for the welfare of animals is fine by me. I'll take animals over a lot of humans any day.
    They are not evil, inhumane, greedy, cruel, warmongers, gun lovers, macho types, and on and on. Wish the day would
    come when all animals are allowed the right to live in peace.

May 1, 2012 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  22. Ol' Lefty

Go Betty! I'm sure she doesn't approve of Willard's method of transporting the family pet.

May 1, 2012 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  23. cherrystraweberry

By the way Betty's new show "off our rockers" is HILARIOUS!

May 1, 2012 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. Bonnie

I never get tired of Betty White. She is an inspiration to todays society, How many ladies her age do you see with that kind of sense of humor and with that kind of beauty. If she says get a dog, get a dog. But elect Obama for President. He did make jokes about being fed dog meat as a boy. Who can say just what Romney has ate when he was a boy? Or Obama for that matter? Boys are boys and most have ate several worms bugs and other things too nasty to mention. They are men now and they should act that way. Obama's dog looks very healthy right now. I

May 1, 2012 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. Bernie mac

To Jan from Canada: You said you live in Canada and would love to have President Obama as Prime Minister ....WELL YOU CAN HAVE THE PINHEAD...He is the worse, anti-American, lying, arrogant, bigoted, president our country has ever had.

May 1, 2012 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |