CNN’s GUT CHECK for April 30, 2012
April 30th, 2012

CNN’s GUT CHECK for April 30, 2012

CNN's GUT CHECK | for April 30, 2012 | 5 p.m.
n. a pause to assess the state, progress or condition of the political news cycle

BREAKING: OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TRIES TO JUSTIFY THE DRONE WAR: John Brennan, assistant to the president for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, says President Obama directed him to be more open about drones: “President Obama believes that — done carefully, deliberately and responsibly — we can be more transparent and still ensure our nation’s security. I’m here today because President Obama has instructed us to be more open with the American people about these efforts.”

TRAIL TRIVIA
(Answer below)
He was a janitor; she was an employee at a pharmaceutical company. This starts the love story for which U.S. politician?

MARK (@PrestonCNN) & MICHELLE (@MJaconiCNN)
What caught our eye today in politics

Politics is often about who wins the message – and it is hard to find a message that trumps “Osama bin Laden is dead.”

Mitt Romney tried on Monday. Asked on the rope line if he would have given the order to get Osama bin Laden, Romney said, “Of course … even Jimmy Carter would have given that order.”

President Obama, at a press conference hours later, seemed to enjoy the opportunity to respond: “I hardly think you've seen any excessive celebration taking place here. I think that the American people rightly remember what we as a country accomplished in bringing to justice somebody who killed over 3,000 of our citizens,” he said. “And it’s a mark of the excellence of our intelligence teams our military teams, a political process that worked. And I think for us to use that time for some reflection to give thanks to those who participated is entirely appropriate and that’s what has been taking place.”

The president then made the pivot to his 2012 challenger: “As far as my personal role and what other folks would do, I just recommend that everybody take a look at people’s previous statements in terms of whether they thought it appropriate to go into Pakistan and take out bin Laden.”

The president is alluding to a speech Romney made in Iowa in 2007 in which he criticized then-candidate Obama for pledging to go into Pakistan to root out terrorists.  Romney called Obama’s pledge “ill-considered.”

Sen. John McCain, Obama’s former rival, took a different tack, a more personal one. In a written statement circulated by the RNC, McCain said, "Shame on Barack Obama for diminishing the memory of September 11 and the killing of Osama bin Laden by turning it into a cheap political attack ad. This is the same president who once criticized Hillary Clinton for invoking bin Laden 'to score political points.' This is the same president who said, after bin Laden was dead, that we shouldn't 'spike the ball' after the touchdown.” In case you didn’t get the picture, McCain ends his statement with a pointed line, “President Obama is shamelessly turning the one decision he got right into a pathetic political act of self-congratulation."

And there you have the goalposts for the next two days, when our country revisits a great bipartisan success in a viscerally partisan election year.

the LEDE
Did you miss it?

Leading CNNPolitics: Crowley: Playing politics with bin Laden
It was probably only a matter of time - about 365 days, in fact - before the death of Osama bin Laden got into the political groundwater of 2012.

Leading Drudge: Occupy Wall Street Plans Global Disruption of Status Quo
Occupy Wall Street demonstrators, whose anti-greed message spread worldwide during an eight-week encampment in Lower Manhattan last year, plan marches across the globe tomorrow calling attention to what they say are abuses of power and wealth.

Leading HuffPo: The Legendary Paul Ryan
Ryan’s prestige explains, among other things, the equanimity with which movement conservatives have reluctantly accepted the heresies of Mitt Romney. They may not have an ideal candidate, but they believe Romney could not challenge Ryan even if he so desired.

Leading Politico: Mitt Romney's lukewarm endorsers
It’s the season of lemon-sucking endorsers for Mitt Romney. With his presidential nomination all but assured, a number of high-profile national Republicans who’d stayed on the sidelines have emerged as Romney endorsers — each one damning the future standard-bearer with faint praise in their blessings.

Leading New York Times: Ryan’s Rise From Follower to G.O.P. Trailblazer
He may be, as a friend described him, “a hunting-obsessed gym rat,” but Mr. Ryan, 42, of Wisconsin, has become perhaps the most influential policy maker in the Republican Party, its de facto head of economic policy, intent on a fundamental transformation of the federal government.

TRAIL MOMENTS
The political bites of the day

– Romney: ‘I want to help the poor’ –
MITT ROMNEY AT A CAMPAIGN STOP IN PORTSMOUTH, NEW HAMPSHIRE: “We are seeing a greater and greater gap between those that have the most and those that have the least. The president’s focused on taking away from those that have the least. I want to help everybody, particularly those that are being left behind. I want to help the poor. I want to help the middle class get the kinds of jobs that raise their income. Let’s focus on helping the people who need the help the most.”

Gut Check Flash Back: ROMNEY TO SOLEDAD O’BRIEN ON FEBRUARY 1, 2012: “I’m not concerned about the very poor — we have a safety net there.”

– Obama to Congress: ‘It shouldn’t be that hard’–
PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA CONTINUED TO PRESS CONGRESS AT A SPEECH IN WASHINGTON: “Congress needs to do the right thing. Pass this bill (transportation bill) right away. It shouldn't be that hard. It shouldn't be that hard. Not everything should be subject to thinking about the next election instead of thinking about the next generation. Not everything should be subject to politics instead of thinking about all those families out there and all your membership that need work.”

– Christie dares Romney to convince him –
NEW JERSEY GOV. CHRIS CHRISTIE AT AN EVENT IN PLAINSBORO TOWNSHIP: “I’ve said before I really have no interest in being vice president, but if Gov. Romney calls and asks me to sit down and talk to him about it I’d listen because I think you owe the nominee of you party that level of respect … and who knows what he’s going to say … and he might be able to convince me … he’s a convincing guy … but I really love this job … I really want to stay in this job.”

– So, does Christie make the list? –
JOHN H. SUNUNU, A ROMNEY CAMPAIGN SUROGATE, TALKS ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN'S V.P. LIST: “I know that the bowl has about 19 or 20 little folded pieces of paper in it, and they keep shaking the bowl.”

TOP TWEETS
What stopped us in 140 characters or less

TRIVIA ANSWER
John and Debbie Boehner first met when he was emptying the trash at Debbie’s desk. Boehner, a janitor at the pharmaceutical company that Debbie worked at, told CNN’s Candy Crowley that when his future wife walked into the room, he thought, “Well, she is cute.”

“I was a janitor, one of my odd jobs. I was working at this pharmaceutical company, 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. One morning about 6:45, I was cleaning off this desk and this lady … came to work early,” Boehner said. “A couple of weeks later I was playing softball for the company softball team and she happened to be there. And then in about three months we ended up working about as far away as you and I are sitting. And eventually she became my wife.”

When Boehner was chosen as the House speaker after the 2010 midterm elections, Debbie Boehner told The New York Times that she was “not going to change.”

“His job is to do this job, and I’m just going to do whatever I can to stay out of the way,” she said. “I just live the life at home that he would be living if he was there.”

The Boehners have been married for 38 ½ years, many of which were spent long-distance between Ohio and Washington. “You find a way to make it work,” John Boehner told Crowley.

GOT NEWS?
Our inbox awaits: gutcheck@cnn.com
Anyone can sign up for Gut Check by emailing gutcheck@cnn.com
Tips or comments? Send them to Michelle; send complaints to Preston, because he is already in a bad mood. We also want to give a shout out to Dan Merica, who runs our Twitter account @gutCheckCNN and enriches this product every single day.

Filed under: CNN's Gut Check
  1. James Henery

Every Campaign the same tired argument arises about religion being off limits. Shouldn’t we know exactly what anybody thinks (whether religious or otherwise) before we entrust them to run our country? Particularly, if it is the philosophical fulcrum of their decision making. If a candidate suggested faith healing to replace Medicare, or praying for manna to replace food stamps wouldn’t that be something you would want to know? Would you feel the same if he professed to being an atheist or would you say that should be off limits also.

April 30, 2012 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  2. Mikey

Mitt Romney: "I want to help the poor. I want to help the middle class get the kinds of jobs that raise their income. Let’s focus on helping the people who need the help the most.”
    *************************************************
    Really? Does anyone actually believe this clown?

April 30, 2012 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  3. Sniffit

Reality: The only underwear bombs we're dealing with right now are the warm brown ones the GOPers/Teatrolls arew dropping because Obama pointed out that he succeeded where Dubya and the GOP failed by killing OBL.

Smell that? No, it's not the GOP's desperation...the scent emanating from their collective undies masks that.

April 30, 2012 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. The Greedy Old PIgs declared class war on US!

Two blurbs about the intellectually and morally bankrupt Paul "The Undertaker" Ryan? The guy comes up with yet another in a long line of GOBP deficit INCREASE plans end the rightwing nutjobs act like he's the second coming of Reagan. Here's a clue ya crazies: Reagan also increased the deficit. It's what your cult does, while lying through their teeth about it the entire time.

April 30, 2012 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  5. Flipper Rmoney Failure Ahead

And for today's laughably pathetic Rmoney quote:

Yeah, Rmoney and his GOBP cult, are just the people to reduce the increasing wealth gap THEY CREATED! He is literally saying that his GOBP cult, the same one that dares not call on the wealthy to share a single sacrifice with the rest of us, all of a sudden cares about average Americans. Nice try, Rmoney, but I don't think you can find enough ignorant clueless voters to by your manure.

April 30, 2012 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. Four and The Door

Mikey
    *************************************************
    Really? Does anyone actually believe this clown?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Yes. In fact, tens of millions of us know he is not only serious but much more capable of doing this than Obama. Mitt Romney will help the lower income earners not by raising taxes on the higher income earners, but by improving opportunities for everyone. Obama is offering vengeance against success. Romney is offering wider opportunities for success. Easy choice.

Romney 2012

April 30, 2012 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  7. T'sah from Virginia

◄◄Romney: 'Even Jimmy Carter' would have ordered bin Laden attack
    You would have too MITTens then "Etch-A-Sketch" it taking the command back!!!
    Everything you do would at first be THIS then all of a sudden THAT!!!
    There will be NO "flip-flopping" President of the FREE WORLD – so shut your TRAP!!!

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!

April 30, 2012 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  8. T'sah from Virginia

Okay, I just got home from work and the following blogs have me LMAO – I missed commenting on them:

►Sniffit
    "Romney might convince me, Christie says"
    Bribe him with a booklet of 25 Hometown Buffet coupons. Done deal.◄

►ST
    I can't imagine Romney and Christ Christie standing together side by side announcing: "we will repeal healthcare reform". The one who made it and the other one who needs it most!◄

►Laverne
    Caviar and pork skins, what a duo!◄

Obama 2012 – The Only Trusted Way Forward!!

April 30, 2012 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  9. ddt

I would like to remind Republicans tha it was JIMMY CARTER who brought peace to the midle East. You hate him because of the failed attempt to rescue Americans from Iran. If Obama had failed you should have done the same to hm.The one thing Obama is not gonna do is to aporogize for killing OBL

April 30, 2012 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  10. Gurgyl

GOP goes to dogs in November election.

April 30, 2012 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  11. GonzoinHouston

One small detail: of the 2,900-odd victims of 9/11, almost a third of them (850+) were not US citizens. This does not make their death any less significant, but we should not refer to them as "our citizens". In addition to being the worst terrorist attack against the US, it was the highest death toll for a terrorist attack against England as well.

April 30, 2012 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  12. gg

Which one are you Mitt? " you don't care about poor because they have safety net" OR " you want to help the poor to get the kind of jobs that raise their income "

April 30, 2012 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  13. LTTC

Whats next, "The Clone Wars"?

April 30, 2012 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  14. Time for another change

“President Obama believes that — done carefully, deliberately and responsibly — we can be more transparent and still ensure our nation’s security."

Considering the fact that this administration hasn't been transparent at all, anything would be an improvement.

April 30, 2012 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  15. Ant

I ask myself, why MC Cain can show some respect for the President Obama? By the way GOP campaigned on job in 2010 and now I don't see any job they creat; instead of creat job they destroy and declare war on woman. Shame on theme

May 1, 2012 01:29 am at 1:29 am |
  16. (Butch) Ronald Dennis Long

"These aren"t the Drones, we're looking for...........You can go about your business.....move along."

May 1, 2012 03:44 am at 3:44 am |
  17. Marie MD

Drones keep American soldiers from dying. What's wrong with that?
    So bo ner was a janitor? Was this before or after he met newterman? Are we supposed to think that this makes him human or caring?
    I wonder what is going to happen tohis 38+ years marriage when he has to be home all the time smoking and drinking.

May 1, 2012 06:32 am at 6:32 am |