Biden's support for gay marriage matches most Catholics' views
May 7th, 2012

Biden's support for gay marriage matches most Catholics' views

(CNN) - Apparent White House division over gay marriage – with Vice President Joe Biden saying Sunday that he is “absolutely comfortable” with the idea, going further than President Obama has on the issue – mirrors a nation that is evenly divided on the matter. Recent polls show that about half of Americans favor legalized gay marriage, while half oppose it, with support for the idea gaining significant ground over the past 15 years.

Pew’s latest polling on the issue, conducted late last year, found that 46% of Americans support favor allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally, while 44% are opposed. Support for gay civil unions is substantially higher, with a clear majority of Americans supporting such arrangements.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Belief Blog • Faith • Joe Biden • Same-sex marriage
  1. gt

what a leader joe is ....ugh... your catholic..?....i didnt hear what you believe sunday at mass...

May 7, 2012 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  2. Another Day in the RW Idiot Mines

As always, the GOBP cult and it's mentally deficient rightwing followers have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era.

May 7, 2012 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  3. Larry IN Houston

I was born catholic, raised catholic, went to catholic school, attended religion classes, and the whole 9 yards, and every catholic that I know agrees with Joe Biden, and so do I. 90% of the catholic females take birth control also, and believe in contraceptives, but they Just don't go around telling it. And as far as gay marriage goes, they should be allowed to get married IF they want, and have the same rights as us , that is married also has.

May 7, 2012 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  4. mcskadittle

I am not really sure why government is in the marriage business, marriage is a religious thing.

May 7, 2012 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  5. John

As a person who leans right, I support gay marriage. I can't think of anything worse than not being allowed to see my the person I love when they are on their death bed because I am not seen as "immediate family".

May 7, 2012 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  6. Sniffit

"Because it is an election year, this administration is putting out this issue as just another deflection."

Deflection? How is it a deflection when red state legislatures all over the country are trying to institutionalize their prejudices with anti-same-sex-marriage laws and Amendments? THEY made it an issue and made it exrtemely relevant because the attack on equal rights IS TAKING PLACE RIGHT NOW. But it's ok for them to do that and not ok for people who oppose it to respond? I call shenanigans. IOKIYAR

May 7, 2012 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  7. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I do not think the catholic church nor the Mormon church should decide our religious policy in the United States.

May 7, 2012 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. Ol' Yeller

1/2 for it while 1/2 oppose it? Romney will not have a clue which way to go. He'll be for it after he was against it... before. What the heck difference does it make it to anyone except for the two people getting married anyway?
    I don't care what the Catholics think, or the Mormons, or the Scientologists. Last time I looked the Constitution doesn't say anything about getting anyone's permission other than We the People.

May 7, 2012 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  9. frank

The Fact That USA Today didnt put Arizona on the Key Swing State List shows you just how much they are the Fox News of Print.

May 7, 2012 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  10. Fair is Fair

"Despite the Roman Catholic Church’s rigorous opposition to gays getting the right to marry, Pew found that Catholics support gay marriage by a margin of 52% to 37%."
    -------
    I could care less one way or another... but what's the sense of belonging to a religion if you're not going to follow it's tenets? Like Larry in Houston, I was born and raised a practicing Catholic... but when I came to the conclusion that I didn't agree with some of their teachings, I left it.

May 7, 2012 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  11. Al-NY,NY

Sniffit.....just like the GOP's obsession with abortion and all their other red-meat, slobbering knuckle-dragger social wedge issues. THEY bring up the subject but whine like stuck pigs when the administration addresses it and they call it "deflection" They are so transparent it's not funny. Only the mindless sheep agree with them

May 7, 2012 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  12. Vernon

First let's define marriage. And it's between Man and Women! No objections if Gay people ask for union for purposes of insurance or hospital rights. But to keep swinging out there that this is a natural thing. Is simply NUTS!!!

May 7, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  13. Bill from GA

Maybe the government should get out of the 'marriage' business:

Offer a 'civil union' for any couple, for all legal purposes, maybe one that can be broken if desired, but neither party can enter into another one for a set period of time, such as four or five years.

Let churches marry anyone they want to and refuse anyone they want to refuse.

Separate Church from State.

May 7, 2012 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  14. demwit

My opinion is still evolving.., which could take millions of years according to history.

May 7, 2012 10:41 am at 10:41 am |